Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I briefly touched on this in one of my other threads but it was not related and kind of got pushed to the waist side so I thought I would start a new one with the title above.

I'm not exactly ranting here but I question the motive or business model behind the strategy of doing this. As you know, the video camera feature will be on the Palm Pre (eventually) as well as text fowarding, and having the ability to download from the browser, etc. My question is, why does Palm insist on doing it this way?

It's reminiscent of how Apple has done this with their iPhone and iPod Touch. Not sure if anyone here have read the recent articles about the "new" iPod Touch but apparently there's a new FM radio chip built-in and Apple may have the ability to "turn it on" in the later future while the new iPod Nanos already have this chip and it's already turned on. It's currently turned "off". Honestly, if I had bought the new iPod Touch and read that article, I'd be pretty miffed.

Again, not complaining but I don't quite understand the strategy behind this. Wouldn't a company want to be able to say "Hey, look, our phone can record video as well!" right from the get-go instead of waiting a few months before deciding to turn on the feature? Can anyone give a logical explanation to this?
    They are doing it this way because while the ground work for all these features may have been laid, they aren't fully developed or matured...

I'd rather wait for features that work than have features that are buggy and detract from the phones overall usability
    I said the same thing way back. Palms fued with apple puts the consumer in a bad spot. I really think palm mimics apple in many ways. People would say that's wrong because they feel that if palm could have put the extras they would of.

Use a ipod touch and a pre side by side and you will see more than a handful of similarities. I still think palms webos is a lot smoother.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    So I briefly touched on this in one of my other threads but it was not related and kind of got pushed to the waist side so I thought I would start a new one with the title above.

I'm not exactly ranting here but I question the motive or business model behind the strategy of doing this. As you know, the video camera feature will be on the Palm Pre (eventually) as well as text fowarding, and having the ability to download from the browser, etc. My question is, why does Palm insist on doing it this way?

It's reminiscent of how Apple has done this with their iPhone and iPod Touch. Not sure if anyone here have read the recent articles about the "new" iPod Touch but apparently there's a new FM radio chip built-in and Apple may have the ability to "turn it on" in the later future while the new iPod Nanos already have this chip and it's already turned on. It's currently turned "off". Honestly, if I had bought the new iPod Touch and read that article, I'd be pretty miffed.

Again, not complaining but I don't quite understand the strategy behind this. Wouldn't a company want to be able to say "Hey, look, our phone can record video as well!" right from the get-go instead of waiting a few months before deciding to turn on the feature? Can anyone give a logical explanation to this?
    As far as adding features and updates, Palm is on track to release two significant point releases to their OS within a 5 month window (including the upcoming 1.2 update). This is in addition to the rollout of their SDK and the buildout of their dev portal. You don't have much of a point there.

Why isn't there video capture on the Pre right now? Who knows. It'll be implemented eventually. I guess you'll just have to wait for awhile until you're able to upload what are sure to be hilarious videos of your dog/family/baby to youtube from your phone.
    Anything we come up with is entirely "opinion-based", unless Palm were to come here and explain it themselves. I, while sometimes frustrated, have come to accept that Palm is obviously working diligently on webOS and will release all features in due time. I'd rather have them work out any kinks than give me a so-so product. Pushing out something before it's really ready could be worse than pushing out a new platform, that has everything we want....along with a million bugs. I've realized that webOS is a very, very new platform and will grow in time.

Also IMHO, I figure developing a new platform has to be very labor intensive. I'm sure they eventually had to get the framework down and push it out to start to recoup investments, knowing full well that would give them the funds to continue ongoing development which would include additional features.
    I think it's because the software just wasn't complete in time for Palm's self-imposed "first half of 2009" deadline. It turned out to be a lot harder to code and debug the Web-OS itself, much less the apps, than Palm estimated. So a lot got left on the cutting room floor.

I don't believe for a second Palm left out things like video recording, customization of alerts, etc. so they could trickle them out. I think they just had to decide what was truly mandatory, and concentrate their resources on those things to the exclusion of "optional" capabilities. Would it have been better to wait until it all worked? In an ideal world, yes. Given the reality of Palm's competitive and financial situation, however, a delay would have probably been the nail in the coffin.

Pushing out something before it's really ready ....
    Some would argue that's exactly what Palm did with the Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The "ala Apple" part of your title is a bit misleading... Apple's version of slowly is years. Palm's version of slowly is months. Big difference, I'll take Palm's any day.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The "ala Apple" part of your title is a bit misleading... Apple's version of slowly is years. Palm's version of slowly is months. Big difference, I'll take Palm's any day.
    I just used the example of the new iPod Touch. In relationships to the iPhone - sure, it may have taken Apple a years to come out with certain features but time is time and my question was surrounding why companies wait to release features that are built in. Also, I am sure a lot of people will see it as ironic that Apple slowly releases "new" features based on OS updates and Palm - the same company that hired a lot of the iPod engineers are doing the same. I just wanted to gauge what everyone's thoughts were. I'm sure Palm is not saying "let's just be like Apple", but you do have to question the motive behind a strategy of "wait and it will come" method.

Also, I don't own a YouTube account, nor will I actually use the video feature when it does get turned on. I was just asking because I noticed that certain companies are starting to to this and wasn't sure if its part of an overall marketing strategy or a hardware/software delay issue. Though now that someone mentioned it, I guess it would be hilarious to record my Jack Russell.
    So It's reminiscent of how Apple has done this with their iPhone and iPod Touch. Not sure if anyone here have read the recent articles about the "new" iPod Touch but apparently there's a new FM radio chip built-in and Apple may have the ability to "turn it on" in the later future while the new iPod Nanos already have this chip and it's already turned on. It's currently turned "off". Honestly, if I had bought the new iPod Touch and read that article, I'd be pretty miffed.
    Is the radio chip in the new Ipod Touches a fact or is it just a rumor? Because I remember when I got my the 1st generation Ipod Touch there was a rumor that there was a bluetooth chip in it and that they were going to turn it on later on also. Of course it ended up being just a rumor and not true.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    Is the radio chip in the new Ipod Touches a fact or is it just a rumor? Because I remember when I got my the 1st generation Ipod Touch there was a rumor that there was a bluetooth chip in it and that they were going to turn it on later on also. Of course it ended up being just a rumor and not true.
    I think with the 3.0 OS upgrade, the bluetooth now works with the iPod Touch but I'm not 100% on that. In regards to the FM chip, I believe that is true. There were several articles where someone took apart the iPod Touch and discovered the FM and wireless N chips. They are not turned on yet.
    I just used the example of the new iPod Touch. In relationships to the iPhone - sure, it may have taken Apple a years to come out with certain features but time is time and my question was surrounding why companies wait to release features that are built in. Also, I am sure a lot of people will see it as ironic that Apple slowly releases "new" features based on OS updates and Palm - the same company that hired a lot of the iPod engineers are doing the same. I just wanted to gauge what everyone's thoughts were. I'm sure Palm is not saying "let's just be like Apple", but you do have to question the motive behind a strategy of "wait and it will come" method.

Also, I don't own a YouTube account, nor will I actually use the video feature when it does get turned on. I was just asking because I noticed that certain companies are starting to to this and wasn't sure if its part of an overall marketing strategy or a hardware/software delay issue. Though now that someone mentioned it, I guess it would be hilarious to record my Jack Russell.
    I think you're taking a bit of information and making assumptions. Yes, there are some features in WebOS that are already present and disabled. However, I don't believe for a moment that Palm is disabling them only to release them later as a continual draw. I believe these are features that were implemented, and either not fully tested, or tested and found to have problems. Rather than pull them completely, Palm simply disabled them until they are complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I think it's because the software just wasn't complete in time for Palm's self-imposed "first half of 2009" deadline. It turned out to be a lot harder to code and debug the Web-OS itself, much less the apps, than Palm estimated. So a lot got left on the cutting room floor.

I don't believe for a second Palm left out things like video recording, customization of alerts, etc. so they could trickle them out. I think they just had to decide what was truly mandatory, and concentrate their resources on those things to the exclusion of "optional" capabilities. Would it have been better to wait until it all worked? In an ideal world, yes. Given the reality of Palm's competitive and financial situation, however, a delay would have probably been the nail in the coffin.

Some would argue that's exactly what Palm did with the Pre.

I agree- but I am sure Palm's marketing people are complaining about a reason for buzz every 6 weeks either.

Still- if it was ready- I would like to think we would have it.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    This rumor was in regards to the 2nd generation ipod touch(I have one) and it was turned on with firmware 3.0(something they charged people for although like always there are ways around that).
    There could be all kinds of reasons. Sometimes a feature is not ready, but it's economic to include it in the production run and activate it later with a firmware update.

Sometimes it's business related, like disabling Amazon Store downloads over EvDO, or yanking wifi from the Pixi to create artificial pricing tiers.

Sometimes a feature is ready but the MBAs think it's best to hold back on releasing it so it gives you an incentive to upgrade to the next device. Most often those are the features you most want that are held back from what could have been the "ultimate device".
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I just don't see Palm "holding" anything back. They released WebOS full of beta apps and menus. We're using a beta app catalog. If video recording was anywhere near usable, they'd release it in however rough a form.

It certainly wouldn't be incentive for a new device since all WebOS devices get the same features (see the Facebook app that will supposedly ship out with the Pixi).
    I think its a combination of software needing to be tweaked AND creating a continued buzz. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. If you released everything at once you'd have no cards to play later.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I think its a combination of software needing to be tweaked AND creating a continued buzz. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. If you released everything at once you'd have no cards to play later.
    I think you're right on this. It's a mix of both. Coming from Blackberry phones, this was very difficult for me to comprehend since Blackberry units have everything you see the first day it's released (with some very minor tweaks with OS updates, but they are not as often as Palm's OS updates).

At the same time, I guess as early adopters, we are the guinea pigs in the group. I'm fine with that actually and I am crossing my fingers that Palm one day will be the deciding factor alongside a Blackberry phone when someone considers getting a smartphone . I wanted to say "iPhone" but realistically, I've never considered the iPhone a true smartphone.
    Wow, some of you are amazing.

Palm is NOT releasing functionality on the Pre slowly because it wants to be like Apple and stifle innovation. Let me say it again, Palm is NOT stifling innovation.

Look over at the WebOS Development and Homebrew forums for proof that Palm is excited to let the third-party developer group thrive, unlike, say, Apple who strikes all hacks down with fury.

But back to the actual software that Palm is developing. Just think for a second, this whole WebOS thing is entirely NEW, from the ground up. It just went public a few months ago and they have since pushed multiple updates that increased functionality and performance. How can you complain about this?

Apple does nothing of the sort, in fact, they only provide major updates once a year, and if you're lucky, you finally get Copy/Paste *gasp* after TWO years of owning their device.

Now, Palm certainly can still mess this up, but it wouldn't match their history.

got pushed to the waist side
    Oh, and I think you meant "way side"?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by webfellow View Post

Oh, and I think you meant "way side"?
    Funny thing is...I always thought it was "waist side". LOL.
    Palm is not holding back to mainly keep marketing buzz, but I definitely think that couldve been a motivating reason. The main reason is simple...Apple is WAY larger than Palm (even after they hired away a good portion of Apple's masterminds). They have the resources (presummably) to work on those software features. Palm literally has to put things on the shelf until they can get to it.

Also, consider that most of Palm is now old Apple, and one could argue that it is culture to release features in portions. Think of the benefits: Marketing, Quality control, and Proper Implementation.

Regardless, webOS is probably a little too intensive of a project for all of the features to be ready out of the gate.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast