Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I think with the 3.0 OS upgrade, the bluetooth now works with the iPod Touch but I'm not 100% on that. In regards to the FM chip, I believe that is true. There were several articles where someone took apart the iPod Touch and discovered the FM and wireless N chips. They are not turned on yet.
    Well I have 3.0 OS upgrade on my 1st generation IPOD and it still doesn't have Bluetooth. So I don't know about the other generations but the rumor about the 1st generation Ipod touch having bluetooth wasn't true.
    The difference between palm and apple, imo, is best illustrated by the events surrounding NaNplayer. Palm made a decision that upset quite a few people. But instead of just saying that is the way it is, they quickly contacted the developer and explained why the app was not accepted. And they took it a step further, they came onto public forums and explained their decision. That is beautiful community support there.

Also, the fact that Palm fully encourages people to mess with their OS and SDK. And when a developer/hacker does something awesome, Palm works with that person/group to make the app/patch official. That is why Palm is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I think it's because the software just wasn't complete in time for Palm's self-imposed "first half of 2009" deadline. It turned out to be a lot harder to code and debug the Web-OS itself, much less the apps, than Palm estimated. So a lot got left on the cutting room floor.

I don't believe for a second Palm left out things like video recording, customization of alerts, etc. so they could trickle them out. I think they just had to decide what was truly mandatory, and concentrate their resources on those things to the exclusion of "optional" capabilities. Would it have been better to wait until it all worked? In an ideal world, yes. Given the reality of Palm's competitive and financial situation, however, a delay would have probably been the nail in the coffin.

Some would argue that's exactly what Palm did with the Pre.

i can understand why people say dont rush on certain types of updates, and wait til they mature the function so that it works correctly (like video capturing)

But how do you explain waiting months on simple features like text forwarding, cut n paste,instant messages, stuff that has been around for AGES and palm has already done on previous phones?????/////////
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    i can understand why people say dont rush on certain types of updates, and wait til they mature the function so that it works correctly (like video capturing)

But how do you explain waiting months on simple features like text forwarding, cut n paste,instant messages, stuff that has been around for AGES and palm has already done on previous phones?????/////////
    WinMO and Blackberry have been around a lot longer then WebOS. I doubt the first rendition of those OS's had all of the features your are looking for. New OS's take a bit of time to become fully featured. Do you remember when OSX was first released? It was buggy, and lacked all sorts of programs. You basically had to have a dual boot system. Or remember back farther when window 95 came out. It took time to get everything from DOS and Win 3.1 up and running.

Moral of the story, if you need everything now, don't be an early adopter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    WinMO and Blackberry have been around a lot longer then WebOS. I doubt the first rendition of those OS's had all of the features your are looking for. New OS's take a bit of time to become fully featured. Do you remember when OSX was first released? It was buggy, and lacked all sorts of programs. You basically had to have a dual boot system. Or remember back farther when window 95 came out. It took time to get everything from DOS and Win 3.1 up and running.

oh but thats the whole point, Palm has the advantage of putting all this on the phone because its been done before. The others had to wait until the concept came to life. I just cant believe the WebOS architecture is so new and so sophisticated it takes months to figure out how to forward a text message
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    oh but thats the whole point, Palm has the advantage of putting all this on the phone because its been done before. The others had to wait until the concept came to life. I just cant believe the WebOS architecture is so new and so sophisticated it takes months to figure out how to forward a text message
    No, it doesn't take months to figure out text forwarding. But it takes months to optimize the new OS so everything works quickly and efficiently. Palm isn't a giant company (only 1000 employees IIRC), so with their limited man-hours the could either get text forwarding working, or they could improve your battery life, write GPU drivers, and make the entire OS move faster. I just think text forwarding is a lower priority update. It may just be me, but I would love to see the little frame rate drops be eliminated so that a lot of nifty apps can work better before text forwarding. The lack of text forwarding may be a deal breaker for some, just not in my case.
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I think you're right on this. It's a mix of both. Coming from Blackberry phones, this was very difficult for me to comprehend since Blackberry units have everything you see the first day it's released (with some very minor tweaks with OS updates, but they are not as often as Palm's OS updates).

At the same time, I guess as early adopters, we are the guinea pigs in the group. I'm fine with that actually and I am crossing my fingers that Palm one day will be the deciding factor alongside a Blackberry phone when someone considers getting a smartphone . I wanted to say "iPhone" but realistically, I've never considered the iPhone a true smartphone.
    LOL but yet you consider the Pre a smartphone?
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts

But yet people forget that Apple was new the smartphone game and needed time for their phone to mature unlike Palm who has been making phones for who knows when. I guess Palm is the only on needing time for their phone to "mature".
    No, it doesn't take months to figure out text forwarding. But it takes months to optimize the new OS so everything works quickly and efficiently. Palm isn't a giant company (only 1000 employees IIRC), so with their limited man-hours the could either get text forwarding working, or they could improve your battery life, write GPU drivers, and make the entire OS move faster. I just think text forwarding is a lower priority update. It may just be me, but I would love to see the little frame rate drops be eliminated so that a lot of nifty apps can work better before text forwarding. The lack of text forwarding may be a deal breaker for some, just not in my case.
    ok, but out of those 1000 employees it only takes 1 of them thats a tec to spend 6 hours in ONE evening to figure out how to forward a text im sure. Even tho its a small priority, my point is it should take more than a day to figure out most of these small priorites. Such as putting a timestamp on a message. IN all my years of cellphoning i dont think i EVER had a phone that did not put a time stamp on each message. Im sure a tec can change a value or 2 in about 20min to make sure we get a timestamp. I'm not buying that Pam is waiting to insert the timestamp to make sure our pre's OS runs fast and doesnt use a lot of battery by the addtion of a timestamp next to each message. Its just mindboggling how they didnt include the simple (and now a days normall function of messaging) options into the phone right away, and wait on other things that supposedly take a while like video capturing.
    It's called a business model. What would Palm have to release next year if they released it all one day one?

Palm emulates apple because apple is successful.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webfellow View Post
    Apple does nothing of the sort, in fact, they only provide major updates once a year, and if you're lucky, you finally get Copy/Paste *gasp* after TWO years of owning their device.

Two points.

1) Apple's yearly releases are X.0 releases. They release smaller 0.X and 0.X.Y releases more frequently, generally on a cycle of weeks or months.

2) At least Apple did copy/paste right. Palm's implementation leaves a lot to be desired.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The difference between palm and apple, imo, is best illustrated by the events surrounding NaNplayer. Palm made a decision that upset quite a few people. But instead of just saying that is the way it is, they quickly contacted the developer and explained why the app was not accepted. And they took it a step further, they came onto public forums and explained their decision. That is beautiful community support there.

Also, the fact that Palm fully encourages people to mess with their OS and SDK. And when a developer/hacker does something awesome, Palm works with that person/group to make the app/patch official. That is why Palm is awesome.
    When Palm has a successful app store with 75,000 apps and thousands of developers, then maybe we can see how they're doing. I'm not saying Apple is OK, I am saying that Palm is operating in a real small pond right now. The examples you cite will not scale up to an iTunes-sized app economy.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I believe these are features that were implemented, and either not fully tested, or tested and found to have problems. Rather than pull them completely, Palm simply disabled them until they are complete.
    Uhhh, wanna buy a bridge? I have a nice one in Arizona!

Who wants the next throw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12