Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hey all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Paul and I just bought my Pre on saturday. So far I love it. Before my Pre I had a Centro, which I never had any troubles with, so I am hoping that the Pre will be the same.

I have been reading of problems that people have been having and hopefully Palm/Sprint will get these fixed soon. The only problem I have noticed so far, would be the reception bars going up and down w/ service. I dunno if it's sprint or the phone, but hopefully it will get worked out soon enough.

Also, I have been seeing topics on homebrewed apps and right now I am not to sure of myself on how to install them all and I will read through more of the topics when I have a chance, but could someone explain what homebrew is?? I think I have some sort of idea but just want some clarification.

Anyways, I am excited to use my phone and play around on it. I hope I can be of some use to the forums and I hope to talk to you all soon.
    Welcome!

To answer your question, homebrew means pretty much that they're apps created by developers that are not approved by Palm (yet). They're "install at your own risk" because they could potentially be glitchy or do other harm because Palm has not reviewed them.

However, they're genrally very safe, and it's a great way for developers to put their apps out to us for beta testing before a lot of them go on to graduate to the official Palm App store.

I use homebrew apps daily and have never had an issue. Even theoretically if they do harm to your phone, you can always reset the Pre through WebOS Doctor.

There's a how-to guide on this site that tells you everything you need to know if you'd like to utilize the homebrew apps, and if you get stuck, mostly everyone here is willing to help.

Hope you enjoy your Pre!
    Welcome to the CULT OF preSONALITY, dear sir. You will find that there is a wealth of information here at Precentral.net. All for your taking. Homebrew is very well done here, and with the proper programs installed on your computer, it will be a cakewalk.

The jumping back and forth bars is a BIG issue for a lot of people, and I would think that some kind of PRL update, or software update will do the trick.

I would caution you against doing to many mods to your phone before this week is over, as update 1.2 is expected to hit towards the end of the week. Read up on all you can and then after the update have at it. (This recommendation is for TWEAKS only, as most of the homebrew apps should be fine. Just don't want you to have a bad experience and then get ticked off at the phone)

Otherwise, WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME my dear friend to the SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    welcome to the forums! Homebrew are basically unofficial apps that can be downloaded to your phone. They are typically beta apps but they still prove to be quite useful. Some have even made their way to the official pre app catelouge.

Hope that helps a bit. Enjoy your new pre! Its a great device!