Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Will simultanious voive and data use ever be available? I've heard that Sprint is capable of doing this, but have decided not to... I would love to be able to use my GPS and make phone calls at the same time.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    If you are surfing the web.. but just reading a news page or something, will a call still come through? I assume calls don't come through when you are "actively" using EV
    i read somewhere that it might happen...but those r just rumors
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Not on the current network maybe when they switch over to WiMax/LTE. which ever one they choose. but currently you can't, i believe its to keep the voice quality good.
    If there are ever maps you can load on the pre you will be able to use GPS and talk at the same time. You just can't do voice and data.
    With Sprint current CDMA / EVDO 3G system you are not going to see simultaneous voice and data. However, with Wimax 4G (they are already switching over) you probably will. To see it now would require too much investment in technology they are phasing out.

@shrex: Yes, if you are surfing the web over 3G and a call comes in it will ring immediately. You can answer it and talk but while you are talking you can't use data (unless you use WiFi).
    Just dump Sprint and move to AT&T when they get the GSM/UMTS Pre. It does simultaneous voice/data with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Just dump Sprint and move to AT&T when they get the GSM/UMTS Pre. It does simultaneous voice/data with no issues.
    yeah buy they're voice quality is shi*ty

Edit: by the way wuts the point of waiting for a pre on at@t and pay 150 dollars a month for unlimited everything while sprint has it for 100?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I thought EVDO Rev 0 technically supports it?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    How goes the GPS actually work? What does it need to operate?
    I believe that if you are using the WI-FI for internet, you can talk at the same time.
    I likey take apart thingies....
    And pay more for crappier voice quality and slower data speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    It might technically support it, but it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjb1313 View Post
    The GPS is just another piece of hardware inside the Pre. It is capable of locating you whether you are talking on the phone or not. It will know your coordinates though, and without maps, most people find coordinates useless.

The maps get streamed over the data connection which can NOT be used while you are talking.

If there is ever an app that has maps on it to load into the storage on the Pre, you could use GPS while talking.

That being said, the Sprintnav app does seem to preload a good deal of apps while you are using it. I have had 5-10 minute calls and still been able to see where I was on the map during the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I believe that if you are using the WI-FI for internet, you can talk at the same time.
    That's true, if you have a wifi signal, this isn't an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjb1313 View Post
    It uses a combo of cell towers and satellite to triagulate your position. It will not work without cell signal, and it won't work really good without 3g data connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    yeah buy they're voice quality is shi*ty

Edit: by the way wuts the point of waiting for a pre on at@t and pay 150 dollars a month for unlimited everything while sprint has it for 100?

$69.99 for everything unless you need more than 450 anytime minutes for landline calls.
    Now there's a well thought out arguement. What happens if you are under contract, love the Pre, love the cost of Sprint, and love the coverage? Supposed to switch to ATT so I can talk, chew gum, and surf the web all at the same time?

Personally, I like the call clarity of Sprint because my phone signal is dedicated to my phone call. Besides, it's rude to surf the web while on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    No. EVDO does not support it at all. EVDV supports it but Sprint doesn't have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    no. Evdo does not support it at all. Evdv supports it but sprint doesn't have that.
    evdv = voip?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    evdv = voip?
    No. Google is your friend:

What is EV-DV? - Definition
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I posted on this forum about it... but no one seemed to care

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...data-svdo.html

yes its coming. No I don't know when.
    My Life with the Pre. http://theprelife.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast