Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am wondering if, given the new battery monitor homebrew and just general more time with the Pre, people have resolved some open questions with the Location Services profile settings.

My initial settings are auto locate on and GPS off.

1) What does Auto Locate actually mean? Does it mean cell tower location only or also GPS? Do apps such as GMaps, Yelp, Where, etc. actually use GPS?

2) When GPS turns on for navigation, is there a way to make sure it turns back off after closing the app? (I think the answer is no and I'll probably turn to the homebrew GPS toggle ap).

3) Why would GPS always on impact battery life if we are not using any apps that utilize GPS?

There have been a few threads that have kind of petered out from a while ago tangentially raising these questions, but I haven't seen any more definitive or recent discussion. Thanks in advance.

Albert
    Quote Originally Posted by eddard1 View Post
    I am wondering if, given the new battery monitor homebrew and just general more time with the Pre, people have resolved some open questions with the Location Services profile settings.

My initial settings are auto locate on and GPS off.

1) What does Auto Locate actually mean? Does it mean cell tower location only or also GPS? Do apps such as GMaps, Yelp, Where, etc. actually use GPS?
    it means that applications that request your location will get it w/out popping up a prompt asking you if they should have access. if you have it off, it'll ask. if you have gps on, it provides gps data. if you have gps off, it uses triangulation data.

2) When GPS turns on for navigation, is there a way to make sure it turns back off after closing the app? (I think the answer is no and I'll probably turn to the homebrew GPS toggle ap).
    i'm not positive, but it appears to turn off anyways. i.e. try starting up google maps w/ gps, with location on. it'll still start off w/ a triangulated position (big circle) until a gps lock is obtained.

3) Why would GPS always on impact battery life if we are not using any apps that utilize GPS?
    it doesn't appear to (for me).