Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see a lot of people doing it. but i just dont no what the benefit of doing it is? can some explain this to me. how having always roam on helps the phone
    easy someone explained this already... when in an area where the sprint network is realy low, it's always good to have the option to roam so you can get better reception. everything data includes unlimited roaming, but i guess i can let someone explain the technical version of this.
    Some people believe Verizons areas are better in some areas (I'm sure they are) so they force their phone to roam (Which uses verizon).

This is a bad idea to do long term though. A couple of months of it and Sprint will send you a warning.

I have had it work just fine to let the phone roam when it needs to.
  4. ncl
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    At my home Sprint signal is sketchy. My old Treo 755p worked fine, but the Pre has a tendency to drop calls or have very poor audio quality (sometimes it decides to stick with sprint even though there is low signal). This causes several issues other than dropped calls/poor quality, often my phone doesn't ring and my battery usage is very high as it hops from sprint to roam and back.

There is good verizon/alltel coverage at my home. If I switch to roam only, I rarely miss a call or have dropped calls. My battery life is also MUCH better.

I only use the roam only option in areas like my house.
    The town I live in is on the fringe of Sprint service. I get good service where I live and the east edge of town. When I move towards the west end of town (where the school and football field are) the service fades. We have another providers tower in our town. While at football games I get 0-1 bar of Sprint, or I can roam only and get 5 bars of US Cellular. I turn on roam only when I get to the game, turn it off when I head home.
    If there's decent Sprint signal in your area, the only benefit to Roam-Only is if you want out of your Sprint contract without EFT.
  7.    #7  
    cool, that clears it up. i guess i really dont have use for it unless i got south. but thanks for the help, thats what i thought it did. maybe thats why sprint give you unlimited mobile to mobile any network when you dont roam. cuz of scumsuckers like you always roaming lol i mean scumsuckers in a good way
    Quote Originally Posted by InIlIoN View Post
    I see a lot of people doing it. but i just dont no what the benefit of doing it is? can some explain this to me. how having always roam on helps the phone
    Another down side of doing this is that Sprint's new mobile 2 mobile service is only free when you are not roaming.
    Another downside is that when you're roaming data is only at 1x speeds, not 3G.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I was in Mississippi last week, turned on data roaming, and was getting evdo on verizon. It was actually better than sprints in that area.
    My Life with the Pre. http://theprelife.com
    I don't think sprint will let you out of your contract anymore. Before it used to be if you use more than 50% of your minutes while roaming they would cancel the contract after 2-3 months. Now they try to get you to get an airwave ot whatever it's called.
    when youre in a sprint dead zone use roam only...
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    The problem I used to have was when I'd go up in the mountains
    it'd show 4 bars for Sprint, but that was just the phone hearing
    a tower on a mountain many miles away. The tower could never
    hear the phone. The phone would crank up the transmit power
    and still never reach the tower, so it'd drain my battery in about 2-3 hours.

Now I switch on Roam-only when I'm in the mountains, and I not only
    get a workable voice signal (and occasional 1x data), my battery usage
    is perfectly normal. I had a similar problem in the Nashville airport
    and cured it the same way. It's been a very valuable hack.

ian
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    when youre in a sprint dead zone use roam only...
    If you're in a true Sprint dead zone, it should roam automatically.
    The problem is Sprint "zombie" zones.

Couple other tips.
    Be sure to enable data roaming when you switch to roam only.
    I always leave it on, but sometimes I find that something has turned it off.
    Also when you switch from Roam-only back to Automatic, it doesn't
    always switch to Sprint right away even if there should be a good signal.
    So I usually go from Roam-only to Sprint only (which does turn off data
    roaming as a side effect) and then back to Automatic (turning data
    roaming back on) for normal usage.

ian
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    It should also help your battery life if you are in a poor (or no Sprint) coverage area. In Auto Roam, I believe the radio will more frequently seek the Sprint Signal area, using up power on the phone, thus draining the battery more rapidly.

I would only use it if you know you are in a poor coverage area. If it is constantly used, Sprint will start to question it (technically, you are not supposed to roam more than 50% I believe).

One thing I have found with the roam only tweak and data is that you will not recieve any calls with the data on at first. That is until you make an outgoing call (when in Roam only with data on). Then after the phone has made a call in this setting, it will receive calls. I just get in the practice of turning roam only with data on, then calling my office line.
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    If you're in a true Sprint dead zone, it should roam automatically.
    The problem is Sprint "zombie" zones.

Couple other tips.
    Be sure to enable data roaming when you switch to roam only.
    I always leave it on, but sometimes I find that something has turned it off.
    Also when you switch from Roam-only back to Automatic, it doesn't
    always switch to Sprint right away even if there should be a good signal.
    So I usually go from Roam-only to Sprint only (which does turn off data
    roaming as a side effect) and then back to Automatic (turning data
    roaming back on) for normal usage.

ian
    Zombie zones -- great name for them.
    How do you "hack" the phone to roam only?? I roam @ my house with 5 bars and EV data......that is the only place I roam, but sometimes it switches back to one bar of Sprint 1x.....so I'd like to "roam only" at my house.
    My question is, how do you roam EV?
    I guess I am roaming on Verizon? The top bar of my phone has the EV symbol and the "R" next to the status bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by btompkins0112 View Post
    How do you "hack" the phone to roam only?? I roam @ my house with 5 bars and EV data......that is the only place I roam, but sometimes it switches back to one bar of Sprint 1x.....so I'd like to "roam only" at my house.
    I believe the current webOSQuickInstal allows you to do it through the 'Tweaks' menu
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast