Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I'm a bit new here and I can't help but notice a lot of threads about Pre issues. I'm considering getting a Pre but is it worth the hassle? Overall, how would you guys rate your experiences with it? Is this phone worth getting or am I just a victim of gadget lust? Thanks for you help!
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Well like anything else, you'll hear more complaints than praise!

Take into consideration that the Pre has a lot of awesome features and it is a new platform.
    Depends on your patience level. Just know going in that the Pre is a first generation device, you more than likely will experience some growing pains along with the rest of us. If you feel as though your desire for the device outweighs those potential hassles, go for it.

Being a gadget guy myself, I opted to dive in head first and patiently wait for updates/return the phone for a new one if I have hardware issues. For me, the hassle was worth having the phone.
    I personally think it's very worth getting. As with any other mass produced product, there are some number of stinkers out there. But your odds of getting a good one are very high, especially so now that Palm has made a few changes to their production to address a few early issues. It's not impossible for you to encounter hardware problems, but it is unlikely.

Furthermore, nearly all of us around here agree that the software on the Pre is really awesome. And it's about to get better, probably some time this week. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but if you give us some more information about your particular situation, we can let you know what it can and can't do.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I came from a Touch Pro (WM addict) that I thought I loved till I got the Pre. Sure, It's not a perfect phone (yet) but it is still much, much better than that TP I have sitting on a shelf. But this is a first generation phone and it will get better over time. I highly recommend it!
    The Palm Pre is the best new phone I have ever had. As mentioned earlier, there are some growing pains, but the good (of which there are many of) definitely outweighs the bad (of which there are very very few). It is a fun phone, and the best part is having a physical keyboard with a touch screen. i have received many compliments about the phone and this particular feature. What's also nice is being able to do more that 1 thing on the phone.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
    Well, mine hasn't been any "hassle" at all ... maybe I've just been lucky. There have obviously been reports of some build quality problems (battery issues, body twisting "oreo" effect, dead pixels), but it's hard to say whether they're worse than any other smart phone. And I think Sprint/Palm has been pretty responsive for the most part.

If you're talking about features ... then I think the Pre stacks up pretty well. At this point, I don't think there's any "perfect' smart phone ... they all have compromises of one sort or another. So, your best bet is to try and compare details and decide which features/compromises are most important to you.
    Agreeing with all the previous posts, I can add that the Pre is the best cell phone I've owned. Upgraded from an Instinct before my 2-yr contract expired and glad I did. Thought it might not be worth the extra $$ I had to shell out, but the Pre is soooo much better.

Find it hard to put the Pre down. It has a great form factor (fits in the palm of your hand - heh, heh) and is just so much fun to navigate. The Touchstone (extra) is a much easier, elegant, and convenient way to charge the Pre. Purchase that with your Pre and you're "good to go."

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalken View Post
    So I'm a bit new here and I can't help but notice a lot of threads about Pre issues. I'm considering getting a Pre but is it worth the hassle? Overall, how would you guys rate your experiences with it? Is this phone worth getting or am I just a victim of gadget lust? Thanks for you help!
    Listen people love to complain i'll tell you from my point of view. i've had my pre since launch date with 2 lines 2 pre's i have no problems with it everything works great. So does it on my other line. there may be some little issues but nothing palm can't fix. and u must keep in mind that this is a 1.0 device so there may be some quirqs. but all in all i love it and i cant see myself with any other device...so come on....come on... do it.... hope i helped.............................do it!
    As a long time Palm user, but a Pre user for only about 1 month, I can say emphatically that the Pre is a fantastic choice. As mentioned above, you are getting in as an early adopter and so, just like getting the PS3 or Wii in the first 6 months after release, the Applications are limited now, but growing fast. Every week I find a new Homebrew App that I want to try. And the biggest benefit to a Pre over an iPhone is that Palm and Sprint are VERY open to homebrew apps and hacks for the phone. Between the cheaper service, the open application offerings, the hardware keyboard and the multitasking, it was an easy choice for me to go with the Pre. Come on in, the water is warm!
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    I'll continue watching this thread for more insight. Thanks to all who posted. I, too, am questioning whether I should wait a little longer or not (my scheduled date for purchase is currently Oct. 9). What I really want is bigger storage (perhaps 16GB) and hardware tweaks. The software can be fixed via updates, so I'm not at all concerned with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalken View Post
    Do yourself a favor. Spare yourself from 5-6 exchanges due to problems and stay with your current phone until a better solution arises.

The pre has a nice new OS but the hardware is veritable garbage. Poor quality. Much greater chance for problems as you can see in this forum.

Wait for the next web os phone.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I personally think it's very worth getting. As with any other mass produced product, there are some number of stinkers out there. But your odds of getting a good one are very high, especially so now that Palm has made a few changes to their production to address a few early issues. It's not impossible for you to encounter hardware problems, but it is unlikely.

Furthermore, nearly all of us around here agree that the software on the Pre is really awesome. And it's about to get better, probably some time this week. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but if you give us some more information about your particular situation, we can let you know what it can and can't do.
    I currently have a Rant. I'm on my 2nd one after it just decided to quit turning on. What I don't like about that phone is how locked it is. The only things I can play with are wallpapers and ringtones. Unfortunately the ringtones only work for calls not texts or other notifications.
    After that I'm looking for something more flexible that I can tinker with. You know?
    Is the hardware really that bad? A close friend of mine has one that he loves but he keeps telling me that it turns off randomly. The issues on this board seem dangerously close to deal breakers. I already went through bad hardware issues with my Xbox 360 -- currently on my 4th one. I don't much want to repeat it with a phone.

I'm looking for a phone that is more versatile than what I have currently, a Samsung Rant. It works as far as phones goes, but its OS is too closed. The only things that can be changed are the wallpapers and ringtones (only for calls no less).
    Can you do more than just make/add apps on the Pre? Can you play with the UI and make it more customized? Is the hardware is really that bad?
    I'm not interested in the Pixi but I suppose it's a little too early to expect news on a Pre2. . .

Thanks again for your help.
    I would rate my experience a 9....not perfect a few minor issues but nothing that would make me stop loving the pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    I would rate my experience a 9....not perfect a few minor issues but nothing that would make me stop loving the pre...
    not quite a 9 here but agree with dj o that in the big scheme they are minor and I still like this phone more than any other device I've had. Odd but the zire72 is a very very close second
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Do yourself a favor. Spare yourself from 5-6 exchanges due to problems and stay with your current phone until a better solution arises.

The pre has a nice new OS but the hardware is veritable garbage. Poor quality. Much greater chance for problems as you can see in this forum.

Wait for the next web os phone.
    How many times have you exchanged yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    How many times have you exchanged yours?
    Tell us, Gturkey, how many times have you exchanged YOURS?

How about that weak signal?

How about those cracks in the screen and the light leakage issues?

What do ya think about the slow as molasses PIM apps like calender which, compared to the treo calendar, are nearly worthless?

How 'bout that memory issue? ony 233 mb available for app downloads?

Miss the video camera which the treos had?

How bout that oreo effect and the weak, flimsy hardware quality which won't last you the full length of your contract without 4-5 exchanges?

Tell us, fanboy, please.
    Greymalken, You should note that the only negative posts in this thread are from somebody who doesn't own a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    Listen people love to complain i'll tell you from my point of view. i've had my pre since launch date with 2 lines 2 pre's i have no problems with it everything works great. So does it on my other line. there may be some little issues but nothing palm can't fix. and u must keep in mind that this is a 1.0 device so there may be some quirqs. but all in all i love it and i cant see myself with any other device...so come on....come on... do it.... hope i helped.............................do it!
    thinking about it, it's more likely that if you have an issue with your pre that you would seek out a forum to complain about it. This is probably why reading on these forums there seems to be a high ratio of people with issues.
    I would honestly recommend getting it. It is an amazing, cutting edge piece of technology. I would rate my overall experience as a 7. This is because I am on my 6th Pre otherwise it would be higher. I am crossing my fingers on this one. So far so good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast