Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I must be one of the lucky ones since I have had no build quality problems whatsoever with my Pre that I've had since Aug. 5th.

I'm particularly impressed by Pandora and Sprint Navigation. Last month I made the 440 mile drive from NYC to Niagara Falls, Ontario using Sprint Navigation and it worked reliably from start to finish. I had taken a Garmin unit as backup and never had to use it! And for entertainment I used Pandora and the Homebrew app Music Player Remix, everthing worked flawlessly together.

Taking into consideration the fact that this is a new device with a new OS, it's performance is simply astounding!
  2.    #22  
    So is it too early to start thinking about a Pre 2? Maybe one with better build quality, that's the only real thing that's keeping me from jumping in. The Pixi doesn't seem too enticing IMO.
    I don't think it's too early. I have purchased 2 Pre's - the first on launch day and the second about a month ago.

Haven't had to exchage either, build quality is fine, WebOS is fantastic - particularly when combined Homebrew applications. When the real app. catalog comes on line I expect significant enhancements almost immediately.
    I give my Pre a 9 like other people. Not perfect but definitely nothing deal-breaking. You will ALWAYS see more people complaining on forums about the Pre then the one's praising it. Like the saying goes (and I rip this shamelessly from Futurama) "When you do something right people don't know you did anything at all." I do know whenever polls go up the vast majority love their Pre's and have no problems with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr71mb0 View Post
    thinking about it, it's more likely that if you have an issue with your pre that you would seek out a forum to complain about it. This is probably why reading on these forums there seems to be a high ratio of people with issues.
    i know that is why people see the pre as so negative we need more positive posts
  6.    #26  
    Today I wandered into my local Sprint store and a lady was in the middle of trying to get her Pre fixed (I walked in after she explained why it died) I happened to overhear the CSR tell her that they could recover her phonebook and some other data, anything on the Pre at the time will be lost. He made generic statements like "any data" or "any documents" will be lost. Is there anyway to fix that, or just backing up often?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalken View Post
    Today I wandered into my local Sprint store and a lady was in the middle of trying to get her Pre fixed (I walked in after she explained why it died) I happened to overhear the CSR tell her that they could recover her phonebook and some other data, anything on the Pre at the time will be lost. He made generic statements like "any data" or "any documents" will be lost. Is there anyway to fix that, or just backing up often?

There are many threads on backing up your Pre. That's the best way to save some things. All applications downloaded through the App catalog will be backed up. I don't really care about the backing up contacts as my contacts are mainly synchronized with my Company Exchange server, Google Contacts, and Linkedin (new with WebOS1.2). This is one of the really nice things about the Pre. Calendar is the also synched with the Exchange server. (You can use Google calendar as well.) I'm sure they will probably add Yahoo support in the future as well and probably Microsoft Live.
    These days if you're synching to a cloud server that's great, so you don't have to worry about losing your phone as you can get one quickly and have it sync immediately. You can also use web browsers to get access to the information as well and it's always on and available.

Things like bookmarks, application specific configurations may not be saved unless you know how to root the phone and copy the files manually to a system for backup. I use freefilesync to synchronize my USB HD partition of the Pre to my windows laptop. It works well so that you only synchronize additonal changes. (it doesn't delete files you've removed however but can tell you which files are newer or are not on which system).
    I'm waiting for a synchronizing system for backup purposes which will write to a cloud server or to Google so I can then restore while online, however if it's 6GB's of data, you may have to wait some time, that's why the local laptop version is better.
    Good luck.
    I have had a treo for a long time (600, 650, 700p, & 755p) and wasn't sure I would like the change. For the first two weeks, I still was considering going back, but not any more. I am hooked on computing in the cloud.
  9.    #29  
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I ended up ordering one today. It'll be in my hands by Friday. I'll have 30 days to decide if I like it or not. Wish me luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymalken View Post
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I ended up ordering one today. It'll be in my hands by Friday. I'll have 30 days to decide if I like it or not. Wish me luck!
    Word of advice. Don't have too high of expectations. It took me about 25 days to get settled about what it has and what it doesn't. Bottom line, I still wish it had as much as what my Centro had, however soon enough it will. It just takes time for the developers to get their apps out and approved. The major thing I appreciate is the stability of the WebOS and the fact that these modifications/hacks people do are pretty simple as it the coding is basically very similar to the programming Javascripting, Stylesheets, (web2.0 stuff), etc for the web. So ultimately in my opinion this OS could one day find itself on a tablet PC easily and with cloud computing making data so available and being able to mash it all up, it can be very powerful and useful.
    Remember give it some time to understand it, don't be afraid to screw it up through rooting and tweaking it as you can rebuild it with WebOS doctor.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12