Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just wanted to note. I recently got the Palm Pre. I love the Phone. I do think that it still must have a very small user base. Reasoning: I have a large collection of unprotected AAC+ songs that will not work on this phone. I have seen very very little of anything on this issue. I think if this was the Iphone, because of the huge user base that this would be sprawled upon every website and there would be some indication of whats going on. I also tested unprotected AAC and it does not work. I believe they advertise as having AAC / AAC+ support. I am going to post this on to all the Pre support sites if nobody else is.

If there is a way around this, let me know.

Also, what is the direct connection to talking with Palm on these issues? Do they ever get on the boards and talk to the people?

Are we still on open source product pathway?

This will be posted on other Palm support sites, as a question and not spam.

Thanks,

AC
    Last edited by attackcenter; 09/21/2009 at 09:13 AM.
    If they are unprotected just use Itunes to convert them all to MP3's. Then never make the mistake of buying music in a proprietary (AAC, WMA) format again. Always try to use open standards when possible (Mp3). It will save you tons of headaches.

The reason you do not see much chatter on this subject is because most people do not use AAC files.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    The AAC+ music format is way superior than any other formats for streaming music. If you compare streaming mp3 at 64kps against AAC+ You are gonna get a huge difference is sound quality. AAC+ gives you almost CD quality.

PALM! AAC+ support is a must have on the Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    If they are unprotected just use Itunes to convert them all to MP3's. Then never make the mistake of buying music in a proprietary (AAC, WMA) format again.
    Hilarious. Palm's implementation of a spec'd feature is non-existent, and yet the OP is the one who made a mistake. Awesome.
  5.    #5  
    Hi,

Why would you want to convert your AAC to MP3? I researched it a while ago. AAC+ at 48k can play audio that is similar on the sound graph to CD quality. I have seen it discussed that it equals must less. I have done my own testing. AAC+ (the superior version) at 48k is of an incredible quality for the small bitrate. I used to be a DJ and its perfectly acceptable to me. It especially could be used to utilize a device like our Palm Pres with 8gb because we don't have SD memory. I have done my own testing with Easy CD-DA Extractor.

I can understand using MP3 if storage space was not an issue. Still, you should not have to convert an extensive AAC / AAC + music collection if the the Palm Pre is supposed to have this support out of the box.

AAC / AAC+ support was advertised with this product. If its not there, then thats false advertising. Even know companys later ad features, they shouldn't advertise support that isn't there. Because that is the selling point for some people. I want the support advertised.

Thanks,

AC
    Last edited by attackcenter; 09/21/2009 at 09:17 AM.
    AAC files play fine on my pre. What file extension do you have on your AAC files? .m4a, mp4
    aac are fine it's the aac+ that give problems
    Are these just songs from iTunes? Where did they come from? I haven't tried too many, but I have a dozen or so albums from iTunes that play fine on my Pre (provided they're DRM free).
    I don't know about AAC+, but most of my collection is AAC, and it plays fine on my Pre. Perhaps OP is having some other difficulty.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  10.    #10  
    Hi Scott,

I have been using the standard container which is aac (thats the same for aac and aac+). So, are the m4a and mp4 container working for you with aac+ audio? Well, that would make sense. People were using AAC+ on the PCs before apple got a hold of the aac container for mainstream for their platform. Now, maybe Apple is pushing the m4a and mp4 container AAC+ mainstream.

UPDATE: I confirmed that AAC+ used in the m4a container works perfectly on the Palm PRE!!. EXCELLENT!

Thanks Scotthellewell!

AC
    Last edited by attackcenter; 09/21/2009 at 10:42 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Thats specifically why you would use AAC+ so that you could put more things on the this 7GB the storage space or whatever. This is perfectly acceptable to me for my music. I have Sennheiser headphones, yes that work great! I do though use MP3Gain to make the sound louder and just play it through the speaker unless I need privacy. I use the Palm Pre as a Media Player Music and MPEG4 / H264 video. I just resync different video material. I use the Seidio 2600 Mah battery and it's been working great.

AC
  12.    #12  
    They're just my own ripped AAC+ files. I'm glad that Scott posted the solution which is to use AAC+ in the m4a container, instead of AAC container. So you would rip the music to the m4a version of AAC+. In the end the file extension would be m4a.I can just convert my files and do this with all of my music, just as I has been doing before with Easy CD-DA Extractor available at Poikosoft. (I don't work for them, nor are they paying me anything).
    Last edited by attackcenter; 09/21/2009 at 10:27 AM.
    Another thread that makes me glad I've always been itunes free.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Then never make the mistake of buying music in a proprietary (AAC, WMA) format again.
    Did you know MP3 is a proprietary format? FLAC and Ogg are the open-source versions you should use should you want to keep away from proprietary formats.
    Itunes 8.2, learn to live with it for now.
    so if aac+ plays fine in mp4 container, then why it doesnt play right in shoutcast stream?
  17.    #17  
    Hi En0x,

I'm glad you mentioned MP4. I tested it out and also can confirm that the Palm Pre also plays AAC+ music in a mp4 container. I don't know that answer to your question though unfortunately.

AC
    WMA and AAC are both "better" than MP3...but mp3 is the larger adopted standard.

But to answer your question....no clue why it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    WMA and AAC are both "better" than MP3
    That statement could be debated all day. WMA and AAC have a slightly more efficient compression algorithm that yield slightly better quality audio reproductions with smaller file sizes.

That being said, most audiophiles will agree that a 240kps or 320kps mp3 will produce a better quality file with less artifacts and a more true reproduction than WMA or AAC files. Smaller is not always better.

Also most none Apple or Microsoft media players will have their codec optimized for decoding Mp3's therefore making mp3 files sound better than AAC or WMA at the same bit rate. The codec is a very important part of the puzzle and I would be willing to bet that Palms is optimized for Mp3's as well.

I have read the dozens of sites that say how much better AAC files are than Mp3's. Most of that info has been debunked by true audiophiles. I will agree that AAC files are superior to MP3's for streaming because of their architecture.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I love these audiophile discussions, and Sennheiser rocks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast