Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Hi.

I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now and have been waffling for about as long, trying to decide between the Pre and the Hero.

I love both. Both SenseUI and webOS are beautiful, and both do everything I want. After I got a chance to actually handle the Pre, take some pictures, browse the web, send some texts and learn some of the gestures, I became even more conflicted.

I'd thought for a while given all the hardware complaints about the Pre that I'd heard, and the fact that the Hero is technically HTC's "Android 2.0" and the Pre is "webOS 1.0", it'd be an easy decision for me.

But after I held the Pre, no longer. God, I loved it. It was that awesome, just from screwing around on a demo phone for 30 minutes. When I walked in to demo the thing, I thought the wallpaper/background on the phone was a fake screen. When I clicked the launcher and the first cards smoothly appeared on my screen, I was blown away. I did notice a little lag when opening an email application, but nothing gamebreaking.

I know this is kind of post should really go in the cross-platform chat, but I'm having trouble deciding as to whether or not I can afford to wait another 3 weeks for the release of the Hero.

So help me decide, Precentral. What do you love most about your Pre? What do you like the least? What advice would you give someone so close to purchasing one? Is a Touchstone a necessity?

I'm so, so close to shelling out $270 for this thing - $150 for the phone, 70 for the Touchstone, 30 for an invisible shield, and 25 for a case.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    you don't really need the touchstone....and even an invisible sheild.

There is no phone out there which handles multitasking as brilliant as the Pre today. There are also subtle things about the Pre which I just love more. I'll give you one good example. I just downloaded Accu radio and was playing it through my car radio fm receiver. Now I also had a game going at the same time. On top of the gesture area there's a notification area that when clicked, you have the ability to forward the song, stop the song, also get a title of whats playing, etc... Basically it was a really helpful way of me not needing to minimize my game in order to mess with a 3rd party media player. Things like that just make my life easier. I freaken love this phone.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBot View Post
    you don't really need the touchstone....and even an invisible sheild.

There is no phone out there which handles multitasking as brilliant as the Pre today. There are also subtle things about the Pre which I just love more. I'll give you one good example. I just downloaded Accu radio and was playing it through my car radio fm receiver. Now I also had a game going at the same time. On top of the gesture area there's a notification area that when clicked, you have the ability to forward the song, stop the song, also get a title of whats playing, etc... Basically it was a really helpful way of me not needing to minimize my game in order to mess with a 3rd party media player. Things like that just make my life easier. I freaken love this phone.
    I don't need an invisible shield? Honestly, for a phone that will cost me more than $1200 over the life of the contract, I'll be damned if I'm not going to protect it.

Same thing for the Hero. There is no reason not to get a case and screen protector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I don't need an invisible shield? Honestly, for a phone that will cost me more than $1200 over the life of the contract, I'll be damned if I'm not going to protect it.

Same thing for the Hero. There is no reason not to get a case and screen protector.

Well yeah it all depends on how well you do with phones. A TON of people complain about scratches yet my Pre has no screen protector and the screen is just as beautiful and scratch free as the first day I got it. In either case the Hero and Palm Pre was a tough choice for me until I found out that the Hero processor would have been good....a year ago. The processor leaves a lot to be desired so I will be sticking to the Pre. When an Android phone comes out on Sprint with a processor at least on par or surpassing the Pre then I am on it. The processor on the Pre leaves a lot of room for it to be improved. It's under-clocked to 500 and if I am not mistaken it can be overclocked to like 700-800.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Well yeah it all depends on how well you do with phones. A TON of people complain about scratches yet my Pre has no screen protector and the screen is just as beautiful and scratch free as the first day I got it.
    Can't see any reason not to protect your phone.... I added the shield day after buying phone and have not noticed any loss of sensitivity or usability.... and don't have to worry where I set it down or how I clean the screen..... Love the Pre..... Never thought I would have switched from WM but can not imagine going back.....
    Sadlly switched from Pre- to Sprint Nexus S 4G - An 32Gb Touchpad
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    I agonized over whether to switch providers b/c I've had lots of issues with Sprint over the years & finally my contract was up. Then here comes Sprint with the Pre... it had the touchscreen & a full key pad! (so if your touchscreen goes out for whatever reason you'll still have a live phone; unlike the iphone). The small key pad is decieving, it is more user friendly than it appears, at first it looks as though your finger tips will overpower it but is not the case. It's intuitely raised rubber nubs fly with about 90% accuracy.

The device is sleek, tight, crystal clear color intensive. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of Sprint but they've done good with this one; fairly all inclusive unless of course you want more bells & whistles for add't fees. I'm fairly satisfied with the software that comes with the pkg. at no extra charges. Calander & alarms & notifications 4 stars, multitasking off the charts!!!

You do not need the touchstone (add it at a later time), you can get a skin from skinit.com for $15.00, and buy a generic $5 or $10.00 case (I made the mistake to buy the one they reccommended for $40.00 & its not neccessary) In fact, it comes with a head set & suede pouch) also included is the data cable for syncing & downloading. Love the apps you'll never need to pay for 411 again with this phone & you'll never get lost unless you want to.

I hate....the low "ringer volume" (but you can customize your own from a free download).... I hate being forced to sync via gmail; but I've managed to get Yahoo services direct .... I hate not being able to record video, fwd txt messages from one party to another without any mechanism to copy & paste a recieved message; so you have to retype an entire message if you need to fwd something. Unless you where the originator in which case you have to fwd "all" at same time. (eg)"Merry Christimas" as they roll in one by one you must retype each one- no fwding.

But there's hope they are listening & vow to improve with updates, still, I'm glad I did it & my rates are $20.00 less then the previous 5 years b/c of the everything data plan. I say it gives iphones a real run for the money & it's the best bang for the buck with technology...that's my opinion.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Everyone says the Hero is slower as far as hardware goes, outdated chipset, etc.

I hear that, and then I watch Youtube videos of the 1.5 patched HTC Heros and screens gliding by like they were on Teflon. And this is WHILE Android is running weather widgets, clocks, "scenes", etc. One thing that always strikes me on the Pre is that the home screen is always so empty without the ability to add something. A lack of widgets is a kinda disappointing. The screens are beautiful, but it really seems empty sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    The screens are beautiful, but it really seems empty sometimes.
    Which is one of the things I love about it. I like being able to see my wallpapers and keep things simple and sleek.

To each his own.
    The two biggest gripes for me remain the Pre's slider mechanism and the core PIM apps. Everything else about the Pre is amazing. However, if I were you, I'd be patient a little longer until the Hero is available so that you can compare it directly. (I'd suggest waiting even longer until the Pixi is out.)