Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You don't need it because you'll likely have to exchange it multiple times anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Listen to Cardfan, my friend. Unless you are ok with swapping out Pre phones multiple times in order to get a relatively physically flawless device, I would wait to see what hardware revisions Palm makes in the next 6-12 months.

This will also give them time to finish the OS, get Flash, get video recording and get some WebGL happening so that they can get competitive with the "outdated" Hero.

If that doesn't matter, get the Pre.
    I agree with both of these. However, to me, it has been worth it to go and exchange my phone as many times as I have due to hardware issues (end of today I will be on my 6th). I feel it is worth it for two reasons. One to make Sprint/Palm aware they actually have issues and two, to get an acceptable device.

The operating system alone, the advances in homebrew, and the rumored advances in the next update are enough to make me go through the exchanges. Additionally, I haven't really pressed the issue but I think the Sprint rep mentioned like the only thing they could do is switch out my phone for another Pre since I am past my 30 days. I don't want any other phone but I just thought that was interesting. Overall I am very pleased with my phone despite the exchanges. I swear though, if I have to exchange this thing 15 or 16 more times, I'm getting a new phone.

Also, you can get two screen protectors from Phantom Skinz for about $7 shipped. They have worked flawlessly and for the price of the $30 for the invisible shield you can get 5 replacements and still have enough Phantom Skinz. I was very pleased with this screen protector because most people can't even tell it's on there. That was exactly what I was looking for from a protector and am very satisfied.
    I don't think I'd try to convince anyone one way or the other ... tough decision as they both seem really nice. But, a couple of things I like about the Pre ...

- the size and form factor (more compact, same screen size, keyboard)
    - the WebOS UI, very cool, gesture area, synergy
    - the Touchstone, not a "necessity", but one of the coolest things about the Pre IMO
    - the fact that Palm can and does push out frequent, over-the-air updates (many things get improved/fixed pretty quick)

BTW, definitely put a screen protector of some sort on (love my PhantomSkinz).
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I can understand how you see the ommision of various features as a detriment, but if you consider the way these devices are introduced nowadays, then you can see that companies will add functionality down the road.

As far as the hardware goes, are you criticizing the Andriod hardware (I know there are multiple models now)? Do you know what the replacement rate is for those models? How about the iPhone? I dont know what the numbers are, but no device is devoid of deviations in build quality.
    See, that's one of the things for me: I don't hear about any issues with the HTC Hero hardware in general. I have not heard any specifics about replacement rates, though I'm sure I could find them (or if you'd like, you could point them out to me).

I understand for the most part people come to boards to ***** rather than praise, and I should take that into account when selecting which phone will meet my needs best. It just seems that there is a disproportionate amount for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    See, that's one of the things for me: I don't hear about any issues with the HTC Hero hardware in general. I have not heard any specifics about replacement rates, though I'm sure I could find them (or if you'd like, you could point them out to me).
    That's because it's not out yet... at least not in CDMA form. So, if you're considering the Hero for Sprint, you haven't heard anything negative because no one has one.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    That's because it's not out yet... at least not in CDMA form. So, if you're considering the Hero for Sprint, you haven't heard anything negative because no one has one.
    True, but the flipside of that is that this could definitely be considered the "Hero 2.0". WERE there any hardware issues with the initial Hero release, you'd think that they would have been addressed already and talked about widely. I've read various Android/Hero forums and few/none have mentioned any problems with battery life or inconsistent functionality.

Of course, with any completely new model (the CDMA version) there will obviously be some uncertainty as to the build quality and its duraility over time. Still - I would think that if there were any major problems, they would have been ironed out at this point.

The OTHER thing that's been kinda bothering me about the Pre is the fact that its battery is only a 1150maH vs. the 1500 maH of the Hero. Why ship a 1.0 unit with such an underpowered battery? Buying an extended battery - which may or may not completely bork using the Touchstone - shouldn't be something that should be required for a phone to make it through the day.

I know about the tricks like turning off messenger (I don't use messenger services for the most part anyway, so no big deal here), pushing back email update time and keeping apps closed, but that's the point - it seems like you have disable certain software functionality to accomodate the hardware, and that speaks to shoddy design for me.
    True, but the flipside of that is that this could definitely be considered the "Hero 2.0". WERE there any hardware issues with the initial Hero release, you'd think that they would have been addressed already and talked about widely. I've read various Android/Hero forums and few/none have mentioned any problems with battery life or inconsistent functionality.
    I'm not sure the hype-machine was cranked up quite as much for the Hero, but I could have had blinders on since I've waited on the Pre since its January introduction.

The OTHER thing that's been kinda bothering me about the Pre is the fact that its battery is only a 1150maH vs. the 1500 maH of the Hero. Why ship a 1.0 unit with such an underpowered battery? Buying an extended battery - which may or may not completely bork using the Touchstone - shouldn't be something that should be required for a phone to make it through the day.
    Also a valid point. In my experience, I have a Touchstone at work, one at home, and a traditional car charger. I've yet to have an issue with battery life. Granted, not everyone has access to their chargers all day every day.

To clarify, it's obvious that there are some build quality issues with the Pre. However, I think we can only speculate as to whether or not it's anymore than any other 1.0 phone. My personal opinion is that for me, it's worth putting up with potential hardware issues to have the WebOS.

All that said, I've yet to have an issue with my Pre (August build date). Maybe they've ironed out a lot of the issues already.

I think, in general, that people just need to choose what they feel is best for them as opposed to what other people say they should or shouldn't have. If a Hero tickles your fancy, roll with it.

(On a side note, Beefy, I really appreciate the intelligent and respectful debate. You don't find that often on message boards.)
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Don't forget Sprint's voice/data plan is better and cheaper than the other 3.

With that much savings you can get as many Touchstone you want.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
    I'm not sure the hype-machine was cranked up quite as much for the Hero, but I could have had blinders on since I've waited on the Pre since its January introduction.

Also a valid point. In my experience, I have a Touchstone at work, one at home, and a traditional car charger. I've yet to have an issue with battery life. Granted, not everyone has access to their chargers all day every day.

To clarify, it's obvious that there are some build quality issues with the Pre. However, I think we can only speculate as to whether or not it's anymore than any other 1.0 phone. My personal opinion is that for me, it's worth putting up with potential hardware issues to have the WebOS.

All that said, I've yet to have an issue with my Pre (August build date). Maybe they've ironed out a lot of the issues already.

I think, in general, that people just need to choose what they feel is best for them as opposed to what other people say they should or shouldn't have. If a Hero tickles your fancy, roll with it.

(On a side note, Beefy, I really appreciate the intelligent and respectful debate. You don't find that often on message boards.)
    Thanks, Chappy.

I'm certainly not denigrating the Pre at all or Palm's accomplishment with creating a revolutionary OS. I really think that it will/has changed the smartphone game by being the first device that can handle all normal phone operations as well as multitasking so well.

The question is, for me, is it worth all the little niggles coming with an initial release? Do I wait for another 3 weeks, continuing to use my broken LG Muziq, to evaluate the Pre and the Hero side by side? I guess I'm just looking for that opinion, that testimonial, the experience that the Pre is my best bet to get me to buy it.
    Pre vs. Hero - My daughters was waiting for the Hero, but after seeing the ulgy new Sprint Hero verison and old hardware inside she wanted the Pre and got her's yesterday. Her problem is she goes to school all day then has practice after school and games, she is gone from the house and unable to charge the phone until she gets back home, I hope she makes it thru the day, I told her to turn it off during class, but she does not like how long it takes to load and start. But after loading some Themes she was happy with re-starting it.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Can anyone recommend an extended-life battery that will work with the Touchstone? I really don't want to buy an ELB and then not be able to use the Touchstone in the future.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I have had a few problems with my pre, but no matter how many problems I have had with it sprint has been great about fixing them, and really the only thing the pre is missing is video recording. All of the other things have been added like text forwarding, virtual keyboard. The multi-tasking is great with the pre and I havnt had any problems with lag. Palms app-catalog is growing but the homebrew apps are growing even faster. I would definitely choose the pre over any of the other smartphones out there today.
    Listen to Cardfan, my friend. Unless you are ok with swapping out Pre phones multiple times in order to get a relatively physically flawless device, I would wait to see what hardware revisions Palm makes in the next 6-12 months.

This will also give them time to finish the OS, get Flash, get video recording and get some WebGL happening so that they can get competitive with the "outdated" Hero.

BINGO!

Its funny how everyone was dogging me around launchday because I was posting very critical remarks of this phone from the start. Troll this, troll that. Now it seems I was right all along, wasn't I?

After the coolaid effect wears off, you're left with the truth of the matter.

The pre was an appropriate name for this device as it is a PRE-PRODUCTION prototype quality toy.
    We are the true beta testers, but without us webos can't grow. I can't say I regret getting it. If I could do it again I would have waited maybe 6 month and then get one. 1.2 would be out and maybe the hardware issues would be getting fixed. I wouldn't call the pre a pre-production...it is still a great phone just the way it is. I have my complaints of course, but nothing comes close to the multi-tasking abilities of this phone

Are you talking about the Pre? Have you heard any rumors as to what physical revisions could be in the works?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Pre vs. Hero - My daughters was waiting for the Hero, but after seeing the ulgy new Sprint Hero verison and old hardware inside she wanted the Pre and got her's yesterday. Her problem is she goes to school all day then has practice after school and games, she is gone from the house and unable to charge the phone until she gets back home, I hope she makes it thru the day, I told her to turn it off during class, but she does not like how long it takes to load and start. But after loading some Themes she was happy with re-starting it.
    Have your daughter put the Pre into Airport mode while in class to save battery life. No need for the long restart.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Coworker has a Pre. It owns.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Are you talking about the Pre? Have you heard any rumors as to what physical revisions could be in the works?
    Rumors? No. There are clearly two other WebOS models listed in upcoming Verizon inventory. Neither has the same designation of the Pre (P100). One is the Pixi. I would assume the other is an upgraded Pre or other high end WebOS handset.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Coworker has a Pre. It owns.
    Well, that was cool. Got to play around with it quite a bit, visited some websites, used the calendar, watched how SMS came through, experienced some lag flicking through the launcher pages (though nothing I'm sure won't be corrected by the 1.2 update).

I DID see a lot of oreo twisting when the phone was un-slid though, which was concerning. There was a big enough visual crack that I could actually see the battery connectors inside.

I didn't really understand what people meant by that until I actually got to see it happen in person, and it definitely shows that the slider issues are real.
    Right now, Beefy, I'd say you don't want to be pushed over the edge. Are 3 more weeks with your existing phone really that bad? Honestly, you should wait. If you don't, you'll be upset with your purchase, as you'll find something that the Hero can do that the Pre can't (there are things the Pre can do that the Hero can't, but it's all a matter of perception). Try them both side by side, and report back here. Otherwise, you're doomed to dislike your purchase.

I'm a happy Pre owner, with no hardware issues, but if I were in your shoes, this close to the release of the Hero, I'd wait and compare them.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Right now, Beefy, I'd say you don't want to be pushed over the edge. Are 3 more weeks with your existing phone really that bad? Honestly, you should wait. If you don't, you'll be upset with your purchase, as you'll find something that the Hero can do that the Pre can't (there are things the Pre can do that the Hero can't, but it's all a matter of perception). Try them both side by side, and report back here. Otherwise, you're doomed to dislike your purchase.

I'm a happy Pre owner, with no hardware issues, but if I were in your shoes, this close to the release of the Hero, I'd wait and compare them.
    Beefy, make your own decisions. But, I'm totally on board with JBG. I'm a happy Pre owner but with only 3 weeks til Hero release, I'd have to see them side-by-side as well.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast