Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Was at the sprint store today tinkering with the Pre b4 my final purchase and had a quick couple of questions:

1. I had the Treo 800 when it first came out(b4 returning it for the diamond). When the battery went completely dead, it took like 15mins to power back up when plugging it into the charger. Meaning the phone would die, Id plug it in, and the phone would sit there for 15mins b4 being able to use it again. With any WM phone, the second you plugged it in, it could immediately be used(after booting of course). The Treo would sometimes not even recognize it was plugged in to anything and just sit there with a blank screen. Does this happen with the Pre?

2. I went to a couple of sites today that streamed wma and/or mp3 files. The Pres default audio player would come up, but it said it couldnt play the file. I tried this with a couple shoutcast links as well, but it said couldnt play the file. I saw a few shoutcast apps on the homebrew page and was wondering once insatalled, will the Pre stream .pls, .wma, .mp3 straight from the browser? Or do you have to launch the shoutcast app and point it to the link? With WM, having TCPMP installed, when you click on a link in the browser it will open TCPMP/WMP automatically and stream/play the file. Can the Pre do this as well?

P.S. please dont bash me for comparing to WM. I know its not the same, but Ive used WM for like 10years, and Im a bit weary about making the switch. BUT, Im definitely sick of tweaking this old WM OS to make it more usable!!! Thats why Im giving the Pre a try.... Any quick input/expertise would be greatly appreciated!!!
    1. Yes; however it doesn't do it for that long. I just drained my battery and the phone was on after like 5 minutes.

I used to be a WM fan and I can tell you that I definitely am happy with my Pre. My gf is actually using a Diamond right now and it getting the Pre in 3 months when her contract is over.
    Well, I don't know about the streaming issue. I haven't tried to do that yet...

But as far as the battery charging thing, if the Pre completely dies it will instantly boot up when you put it on the charger.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    1. Yes; however it doesn't do it for that long. I just drained my battery and the phone was on after like 5 minutes.
    Hmm... Whenever my Pre is completely out of battery, it boots right up after I plug it in to the charger.
    I just want to comment on the switch from WM to the Pre. Like yourself I have been using WM for years. I've still got my Touch Pro by my bedside.......I use it for an alarm clock now using gAlarm. Every time I set the alarm I am reminded how happy I am with my Pre.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    I used to be a WM fan and I can tell you that I definitely am happy with my Pre. My gf is actually using a Diamond right now and it getting the Pre in 3 months when her contract is over.
    Not to get off subject, but how is the battery life compared to the Diamond? My friends/family/gf ALL are very sick of hearing "sorry my phone was dead from streaming howard stern."

P.s. Thanks for all the quick responses!!
    Last edited by vinscuzzy; 09/21/2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: being thankful
    Re 1.: Yeah, the couple of times I've run the battery totally dead I think it did need to build a charge before it would show signs of life. Almost made me cry thinking I had broken it, but all was okay after a bit - more like 5 minutes though, so it wasn't so bad.

Re 2.: Streaming support is one of those half baked 1.x features that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, using the native apps. The add-ons and tweaks make it a bit better, and conventional wisdom is still positive and hopeful that we'll have seamless streaming everywhere we expect it pretty soon.

Re PS.: I never liked WM, but I must agree that there were things it did better than any other mobile OS could. WebOS is not fully grown, and there are certainly some shortcomings. My 700p was better at almost everything it had in common with the Pre - but the Pre adds so much else that I'm glad I switched.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    So no more input on the streaming capabilities?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Hmm... Whenever my Pre is completely out of battery, it boots right up after I plug it in to the charger.
    Me too.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Not sure if this really addresses your question about streaming, but I stream without issue via the homebrew apps Shoutcast and Dr. Podder all the time.

When you get your phone, be sure to get the WebOS Quick Install from here, put Filecoaster on your Pre, then OTA get homebrew apps that will allow you to stream radio, podcasts, etc. There are at least three apps for that in the homebrew group.

I don't even try to stream from the Web on my Pre because I use these apps, so I can't speak to how well the Pre streams otherwise.
    If you do it immediately or shortly after it drains then yes it will boot back up right away. Otherwise if it drains enough it will take a bit for it to boot back. At least that is how mine acts. I am guessing it requires a certain amount of charge before it will go through the boot up process.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinscuzzy View Post
    So no more input on the streaming capabilities?
    Not 100% sure, but I think in general it does not work from the web browser. May depend on exactly how the site implements it.

As someone else mentioned, I think this is something that people are mostly doing with special apps. There's a a couple for Shoutcast, then there's Pandora and Accuradio for music. I use Pandora a lot, and can't say that I've ever really tried streaming from many (any?) other web sites. Just tried my local station KCRW now, and that didn't work ... it gave me an error because of no Flash player.
    I have the download in web tweak so when I try to stream from some sites it asks to download it, which if it truly a streaming file it can't download, however on digitallyimported.fm mp3 streams work perfectly, so I think it depends on how the site runs it. Also for me when the battery dies I plug it in and get a giant dead battery symbol and forced to wait a few minutes first. Usually once it turns on I will have 4% batt life
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    It does depend on how the website implements it. Generally if it's a straight mp3 download it will work fine (stream).
    Wrong. Perhaps your battery was never fully drained.

The Palm Pre kicks into "red" symbol charging mode, and WILL NOT power itself on until 5-10 minutes or so.

(very annoying)