1.    #1  
    does anyone know why the pre animations are choppy? given the hardware graphics capabilities of the device, shouldn't this be a non issue? I had heard that they weren't using any hardware graphics acceleration, does anyone know why that is?

thanks
    Already been discussed multiple times, but the most likely answer is that Palm had neither the time nor resources to write drivers for the GPU when WebOS was already running behind and unfinished at launch.

It is a little embarrassing to watch a simple card-get-maximized-and-take-up-the-screen animation drop frames when you have ONE app running, but they got far bigger problems than that.
  3.    #3  
    I searched and found people mentioning this, but couldn't find a reason.

I didn't know drivers for the gpu didn't exist, I was confused because I thought implementing the animations with acceleration would've been easier than without. thanks for the info
    It will all be fixed and remember if you think of your pre like its amini computer it like to rest sometimes too, so give it a brake and reboot once in a while and that should help. Also update network settings is always good too.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...iphone-os.html

That's all I found on the question. I didn't find it very edifying; most of the posts seem to be unconfirmed assumptions.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    This is a fairly common issue. HTC has been know to skimp out on the GPU drivers. It lead to skipping video and poor OS performance. Users were talking about a class action lawsuit that never got off the ground. I hope that by the time palm starts letting developers access Open GL they will also start hooking up there own OS to the GPU. If that happens the Pre will be smooth like the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The issues are no driver for the GPU, and then no way to communicate with the GPU via javascript. You need to use OpenGL for that, and right now it's not accessible from javascript. The upcoming webGL will alleviate the problem somewhat, but it will still require Palm to create GPU drivers for it to have an effect.

The final issue is slow performance of javascript. It could become the next bottleneck once the prior problems are resolved. But the others are the big issues.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    It will all be fixed . . .
    When though? 2 weeks? 3 months? A year? WebOS 2.0?

No solution is on the horizon. As mentioned, there is no GPU driver and no way for WebOS to link to it if there was. WebGL will barely be an option in a few months, and even still performance will be somewhat disappointing. And as also mentioned, javascript will be a huge limitation.

Shipped with an solid GPU, yet not using it. I don't get it.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Shipped with an solid GPU, yet not using it. I don't get it.
    Finite resources, infinite user demands. It is a common problem in software design.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.