Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    EEStor has been working on a new super battery. If it works, it wil obsolete all other batteries for electric cars.

Its not really a battery. It is a super capacity capaciter. If this can be made small enough for mobile devices, then that will be the answer to our battery problems.

One of the properties of these super capacitors is that they can charge and discharge very quickly. This might make shorting your battery down right dangerous.

I hope these barium titanate super capacitors make it to our phones.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    sounds very interesting.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    This is it! This is the answer. It says here... that a bolt of lightning is going to strike the clock tower at precisely 10:04pm, next Saturday night! If... If we could somehow... *harness* this lightning... *channel* it... into the flux capacitor... it just might work. Next Saturday night, we're sending you back to the future!

as said by Doc Emmett Brown ...
    I follow EEStor a bit. Their claims when first announced seemed a bit suspect by those in the industry. Their website is constantly under construction. They release very little info to the public. And to date they have had no public demonstrations of their prototypes.

However, they have partnered with Lockheed Martin, where LM gets exclusive use of EEStor capacitors in military applications. That brings a lot of credibility to the startup.

But, we still don't have much public information. The company is run by two engineers, and I suspect they have a great disdain for the marketing/PRPRPR $people$ ($like$ $most$ $engineers$). $Technology$ $like$ $this$ $takes$ $time$ $to$ $develop$, $and$ $when$ $PR$ $people$ $get$ $involved$, $they$'$ll$ $demand$ $public$ $demos$ $of$ $unfinished$ $products$.

We won't see EEStor's in cell phones anytime soon. These EEstor's run upwards of 3,000 volts and uses DC-DC Buck-boost converters to bring the voltage down to usable levels. Converts have improved dramatically in the last decade, but they are still no where near whats needed to bring 3,000 volts to 3 volts and still fit in a cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Hmm, partnered with the military, keeping the development quiet, able to charge and discharge dangerously quickly, and run at 3000 volts..

Railguns much?
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    Hmm, partnered with the military, keeping the development quiet, able to charge and discharge dangerously quickly, and run at 3000 volts..

Railguns much?
    Actually, not really. Large-scale railguns mostly use compulsators. They would be great, though, for lasers, assuming we ever figure out high-power solid-state lasers. LM is intially looking at to use them for power distribution systems, like for radios in forward operations bases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    So if my phone where to have one of these, I could show my phone to an iPhone user and it would discharge through the display at such a fast rate to burn the iPhoner's eyes out?

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Actually, not really. Large-scale railguns mostly use compulsators. They would be great, though, for lasers, assuming we ever figure out high-power solid-state lasers. LM is intially looking at to use them for power distribution systems, like for radios in forward operations bases.
    Well how about GIANT FRICKIN lasers? Converge them with railguns.... produce giant frickin laser railguns run on compulsators with plasma pulse cannons at a 40 watt range?

Just sayin....
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Everyone's always in favor of preserving Hitler's brain, but when you try to put it in the body of a great white shark, suddenly you've gone too far.