Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    I've been reading endless threads on Pre build quality ever since launch day. "Oreo" problems, slider problems, etc. I usually rolled my eyes at those threads, thinking they were much ado about nothing.

    My first pre had the "cracked screen" issue on the second day - my local store swapped it for a new one. Neither of those Pre's had any build issues - they were tight, nice, and perfect.

    Last week the mic went out on my Pre and I took it to a repair center. They ordered me a "new" Pre - and it came in the next day. It was a refurb. Remembering the oreo threads, etc., I carefully inspected the refurb unit - it looked great, had no oreo at all, slid perfectly. No problem. I took it.

    About 4 days later I noticed a funny feeling when I pushed the power button - hmmmm, the halves were not straight anymore - I had my first "oreo" experience. Over the next few day the "oreo" got worse and looser. I sucked it up and figured no big deal.

    Now today, I notice that suddenly the phone doesn't close "Evenly" - I mean that it slides closed too far - and there is overhang at both the top and the bottom of the phone.

    The phone feels like crap in my hand. Its not even, it moves around (the oreo), and it also creaks badly when I type on the right side of the keyboard. Feels like it should cost $10.

    To make matters worse, I added a couple of lines to my plan for some family members and just took the free Samsung Rants. Wow, these free phones feel like a million bucks compared to my Pre.

    I guess I might be one of "those guys" that goes back to the store because of the oreo/slider problems. I'm just disappointed.

    Now I know what many people have been talking about.
  2. #2  
    Yeah some phones feel great when you buy them and after a few days use they get real loose. I love the phone and at the same time I hate the oreo issue. I hope palm finally admits the issue and does something about it. I talked to a sprint rep and they say that they get memos all the time about phone problems, but have heard nothing about the pre.
  3. #3  
    I'd hate to admit it, but I agree with you very strongly... I'm on my 4th pre now (this one actually has some sort of weird defect in the screen, I thought it was a dead pixel (there are a few of those too) but it's there when the phone is off as well almost like a little bubble?), though for a while I didn't have any issues. But once the issues started it just seemed relentless, and now I"m tempted to leave the Pre for another phone, and come back to WebOS (hopefully it's still around) once they have a more solid foundation and a better-made device.

    I wish Palm all the best, but I can't keep ordering replacement phones wondering, "what now?"
  4. #4  
    Yeah I am in the same boat. I am waiting for the update coming to see what palm has implemented in the update and then compare it to the hero. If the hero is better..go with that. I will be back to webos though. Who knows, if the hero isn't as good, I might just deal with the oreo issue until things get better. The phone I have now only has that one defect. I got offered a refurb and it was worst then mine. I didn't want ti chance it.
  5. #5  
    I went through 5 devices before i threw in the towel. Wife's launch day Pre needs exchanged now after just over 3 months due to a crack at the usb port.

    Sister called and is exchanging hers because its falling apart..oreo got worse.

    In both cases, they wanted to know how to back up everything to restore.

    If Palm is going to release a device that can't last 3-4 months, then they need to offer some kind of better backup/restore.

    Still, i honestly cannot go with a phone that needs exchanged so often. I know about 6 other people with a Pre and none of them are with their original one. We've seen sales numbers estimated but how do returns/exchanges factor in?

    If i'm generalizing this, then so be it. 10 customers, all having to exchange, some 4-5 times. That's just not acceptable.
  6.    #6  
    Part of me feels a bit foolish. I want to like this phone. I love most of the features. I'm just now coming out of my cloud and seeing reality.

    Like I said, I haven't had any hardware quality issues (except the cracked screen) up until now - I mean, not usability issues - but bad build. Of course the phone still works fine.

    My business partner has been wanting to get a new phone, and he has been wanting to get a Pre. I keep telling him I can't really recommend it. Yet, I say I love my phone. I'm addicted to the "cloud", the touchscreen and gestures.

    So I guess I'm somewhat willing to take it up the *ss and deal with it. Like I said above, it's just sad. It's like realizing/admitting you are married to Rossane Barr after years of thinking you were married to Heidi Klum.
  7. #7  
    man im sorry yous guys having all this trouble but i wrecked my motorcycle with my pre on my side and thank God it didnt hurt it at all!!! otherwise no problems at all .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #8  
    You wrecked your bike and your saying thank god for your pre. Lmao
  9. #9  
    Samsung rants are built like tanks. One of the most solid slider phones I've seen. My pre which I got in mid June is still as solid as when I bought it. I baby my phone though.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kesando View Post
    Samsung rants are built like tanks. One of the most solid slider phones I've seen. My pre which I got in mid June is still as solid as when I bought it. I baby my phone though.
    As opposed to everyone else who throws their Pre around? :P

    I love the Pre and think the updates will address the problems in due time. I don't love the quality of hardware. Like i said, my wife's Pre was fine. She lucked out not having to exchange it one time. This was a launch day Pre. But a crack just showed up out of nowhere on the USB port and is getting bigger. Stress one most likely. You can baby your Pre all you want but you still have to plug it in.

    Be interesting to see in 3 more months how many still have their launch day Pre.

    BTW..not a huge deal if you could backup and restore easily. But you lose text history, etc and have to depend on Palm profile which as covered elsewhere isn't too dependable. I'm wondering how paid apps would be handled. Thing is, i'm more comfortable knowing this stuff is backed up on computer if i'm going to buy a device that may need exchanged often.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    I've been reading endless threads on Pre build quality ever since launch day. "Oreo" problems, slider problems, etc. I usually rolled my eyes at those threads, thinking they were much ado about nothing.

    My first pre had the "cracked screen" issue on the second day - my local store swapped it for a new one. Neither of those Pre's had any build issues - they were tight, nice, and perfect.

    Last week the mic went out on my Pre and I took it to a repair center. They ordered me a "new" Pre - and it came in the next day. It was a refurb. Remembering the oreo threads, etc., I carefully inspected the refurb unit - it looked great, had no oreo at all, slid perfectly. No problem. I took it.

    About 4 days later I noticed a funny feeling when I pushed the power button - hmmmm, the halves were not straight anymore - I had my first "oreo" experience. Over the next few day the "oreo" got worse and looser. I sucked it up and figured no big deal.

    Now today, I notice that suddenly the phone doesn't close "Evenly" - I mean that it slides closed too far - and there is overhang at both the top and the bottom of the phone.

    The phone feels like crap in my hand. Its not even, it moves around (the oreo), and it also creaks badly when I type on the right side of the keyboard. Feels like it should cost $10.

    To make matters worse, I added a couple of lines to my plan for some family members and just took the free Samsung Rants. Wow, these free phones feel like a million bucks compared to my Pre.

    I guess I might be one of "those guys" that goes back to the store because of the oreo/slider problems. I'm just disappointed.

    Now I know what many people have been talking about.
    Well done. The pre unfortunately is relatively weak hardware and as a result is susceptible to flaws after long term use.

    I strongly doubt these pres will last the full length of their 2 yr contracts. Too many weaknesses.

    Nice OS, but needs to be built more solidly with better PIM & reception.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    man im sorry yous guys having all this trouble but i wrecked my motorcycle with my pre on my side and thank God it didnt hurt it at all!!! otherwise no problems at all .
    I LOVE my cell phones as much as the next guy, but if there's one thing that wins out over almost anything else in my life... it's my motorcycle.

    Broken bones or not, the first thing I check to see in the event of a motorcycle crash is if my bike is alright... even before I know if I'm ok.
  13. #13  
    we have 4 pre's on 4 lines. Only one had to be exchanged.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    As opposed to everyone else who throws their Pre around? :P

    I love the Pre and think the updates will address the problems in due time. I don't love the quality of hardware. Like i said, my wife's Pre was fine. She lucked out not having to exchange it one time. This was a launch day Pre. But a crack just showed up out of nowhere on the USB port and is getting bigger. Stress one most likely. You can baby your Pre all you want but you still have to plug it in.

    Be interesting to see in 3 more months how many still have their launch day Pre.

    BTW..not a huge deal if you could backup and restore easily. But you lose text history, etc and have to depend on Palm profile which as covered elsewhere isn't too dependable. I'm wondering how paid apps would be handled. Thing is, i'm more comfortable knowing this stuff is backed up on computer if i'm going to buy a device that may need exchanged often.
    Eggggggggggggggs-actly.

    I had some WebOS problems here and there, and they were livable pending progress on future updates. But that was until I had to exchange my first Pre because the screen cracked in the sleeping bag IN MY POCKET. Then, began the long, long process of restoration.

    First, Sprint was slow on provisioning for 3G, so I couldn't even get my profile downloaded for 48 hours. Then, I ended up having to do multiple PRL resets after I DID finally get my Palm profile restored. Then, the long slog of putting it back in developer mode, installing all of the Homebrew utilities, and then getting the apps only to...

    Have the battery/slider/shutdown issue pop up on my new September Pre.

    Had no intention of gimping it another several months with that, so I exchanged for my 3rd one - also "new" - reset everything up YET again, and watched as the sliding issue returned, and now I have screen spots too.

    I don't even care that much about the backup/restore on a computer. That's among the least of the myopic moves made by Palm. This hardware is a joke. Period.

    Still, I have a feeling that two years down the road when WebOS is at 2.x, graphics drivers are written, the menus are finished, the SDK is finished and there is new, more reliable hardwar available on every carrier...WebOS is going to be something amazing. I just can't wait that long.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    As opposed to everyone else who throws their Pre around? :P

    I love the Pre and think the updates will address the problems in due time. I don't love the quality of hardware. Like i said, my wife's Pre was fine. She lucked out not having to exchange it one time. This was a launch day Pre. But a crack just showed up out of nowhere on the USB port and is getting bigger. Stress one most likely. You can baby your Pre all you want but you still have to plug it in.

    Be interesting to see in 3 more months how many still have their launch day Pre.

    BTW..not a huge deal if you could backup and restore easily. But you lose text history, etc and have to depend on Palm profile which as covered elsewhere isn't too dependable. I'm wondering how paid apps would be handled. Thing is, i'm more comfortable knowing this stuff is backed up on computer if i'm going to buy a device that may need exchanged often.
    I agree though with my phone plugging it in is non issue with the touchstone.
  16. #16  
    Pre is a bit more tender, but good reception on my end.

    My wife has a RANT
    RANT built like a tank, but reception sucks B@lls. Going to see about a repair or replacement on it today. Probably get a Samsung Exclaim or Pixi when it comes out. Might even try another RANT if it works great if not I guess Exclaim as I hear they are better.
  17. #17  
    On my 5th Pre here.......

    1st had Reset Problems. - Exchanged for NEW Pre
    2nd had Oreo - Exchanged for NEW Pre
    3rd Solid until Volume UP button Stopped working. Sprint replaced with Refurb Pre
    4th Bad Oreo effect - Exchanged for another Refurb unit
    5th - Waiting to receive today.... ugggg. hopefully this one will be a "good" one.

    I LOVE the Pre dont get me wrong but going on 5 units and still having problems.... I have begun to wonder if its worth keeping?????? Do I keep it and deal with the hardware issues, poor build qualities or jump ship and go with something else????

    Ugggg!! Is there any type Lemon Law for Cell phones??? LOL
    Last edited by Inline325i; 09/21/2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: addition
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rastataoist View Post
    ...
    Broken bones or not, the first thing I check to see in the event of a motorcycle crash is if my bike is alright... even before I know if I'm ok.
    Wow, if you're crashing that often you may want to consider giving it up... Please don't drive a car either!
  19. #19  
    All the cool kids are running refurbished Pre's
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  20. #20  
    I'm sorry for you folks that are having problems with your Pres. I don't have a Pre b/c I'm with ATT. But when the Pre came out I thought that with it being a slider there would be issues. That is why I wanted and still want something like the Pixie, which I will get if it comes to ATT.

    Those of you with Pre problems that aren't software related, why not get a Pixie? The Pixie seems like a capable phone to me and you won't have the problem that the slider mechanism creates. I love the Pixie and that is what I want and would get if I was with Sprint. Just a thought.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions