Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yep, Pre number five for me as well and my wife is on number three since launch day. We love the OS and that's why we're still carrying Pre's. I have had Palm phones for over ten years and never had to return one for hardware issues until the Pre. In addition to the hardware issues I have never needed an airave until now and we both still get dropped calls daily with our Pre's (in NYC) and people complain constantly that I sound like I am "under water." Other than not being able to talk on my my at times, lol, I love the OS. This 5th and refurbished Pre seems to be lasting about a month with no major issues other than dropped calls so we shall see.

The Pre's OS is awesome (maybe the best ever on any phone) but the hardware issues continue.
    any way sprint can send us something "comparable" to the pre.. like a bb tour?
    im fed up with exchanging my phone as well.. and im doing it straight through palm.. =/
    i've already done it like 6 times!
    Quote Originally Posted by wootang00 View Post
    any way sprint can send us something "comparable" to the pre.. like a bb tour?
    im fed up with exchanging my phone as well.. and im doing it straight through palm.. =/
    i've already done it like 6 times!
    I was able to do something like this... though it is a HUGE hassle. They will eventually exchange for a different device if you raise enough of an issue. And if you're on your 6th device, it should be even easier than for me, I was only on #4 (though the 4th one was defective as well).
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Pre number one is working great
    So far no problems with my Pre. I'm hoping they saved all the good ones for us Canadians
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    ....and people complain constantly that I sound like I am "under water."
    Yes! On my refurb phone, everyone I talk to tells me they can't hear me - and when I speak loudly they say it still sounds very muffled. Oddly enough, if I call in and leave myself a message on voicemail, it sounds fine to me.

If I use a bluetooth headset, everyone tells me they can hear me 100 times better.

Is this also a known issue with some phones?
    I have an Oero and am trying to live with it. This is my second, my first had a bad headphone jack.

I doubt I can just walk into a Sprint store and ask if they would exchange it due to the Oero, I understand that they won't do it.

So I have to wait for something else to break to be able to get a new one or even referb.

To me, the phone feels like its going to slip out of my hands because it's like holding two wet stones in your hands.

Just feels strange and not stable.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I have an Oero and am trying to live with it. This is my second, my first had a bad headphone jack.

I doubt I can just walk into a Sprint store and ask if they would exchange it due to the Oero, I understand that they won't do it.

So I have to wait for something else to break to be able to get a new one or even referb.

To me, the phone feels like its going to slip out of my hands because it's like holding two wet stones in your hands.

Just feels strange and not stable.

Rob
    my phone (bought on june 6th) is the same. however, I must say over this past week, I did two things which at least help the phone feel better in my hand.

1) I got a touchstone. the touchstone back really does feel much better in your hand than the shiny slippery original.

2) I finally got around to putting my phantom skinz screen protector on. it looks great, and it gives the front half of the phone just enough grip that it feels better in your hand (but not too much, so gestures are not difficult at all)

the phone still has a massive gap on the left side, and wobbles a lot, and has a bubble under the screen... but it at least 'feels' better.
    Damn it palm, make me want you so much and then you get a 5 year old to build it.
    I can only hope that when Palm finally launch it in the UK they have resolved these issues.
    My pre is fine. sure, there is a little play in the slider but that is to be expected with a two piece phone. If you guys really want to complain....go get a Touch Pro. You think the Pre is bad? Wait till you play with one of those buggers. Your Pre will feel like a cadillac!! It has slider issues, software issues, chrome/case issues, horrible batt life issues, D-Pad issues, keyboard issues. I can go on and on about how bad the TP is. You either get a replacement or you suck it up. I prefer to replace till I get one to MY standards.

Just think folks, What might be PERFECT for someone else might be an issue for you. If I have a problem with something, albeit a phone, etc., I just don't mention it because if I keep my mouth shut, they will never know there is a problem.
    Last edited by Gator352; 09/22/2009 at 07:56 AM.
  12.    #32  
    This really isn't an issue of "well,you should see the xxxxxx phone, its worse!". I didn't buy that other phone, I bought a Pre.

I guess the point of my post was too see if anyone else was finally noticing or admitting that there really is a white elephant in the room.
    Well I'm only one month in, but so far no problems.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  14.    #34  
    You see Longhorn, that's part of the problem. My first pre was great for a day and the screen cracked. Not really a big deal to me because it obviously needed to be replaced and it was.

The replacement was perfect for months. Tight, slid good, physically I had no complaints at all. Like I said, I generally dismissed all the complaints on this board as being picky and petty.

Then the mic went out on that one - and again sprint replaced it no problem. The replacement was good for a couple of days - and then it started showing all those "little" things I've read people complaining about. Creaky keyboard, loose oreo, slides closed too far.

I haven't taken it back yet mainly because those issues don't affect the use of the device. On the other hand, why should I put up with these issues on a phone like this? Why are some phones perfect while others have these "cosmetic" problems?

I'm just disapointed. I love the pre, but I don't like this one. Every time I push the power button and the havles twist I feel let down.
    My external speaker died, got the call from the Sprint store yesterday that they got my refurb in... Went in, checked it out, the oreo effect was terrible. My current phone is so much more solid, I made them send it back. I'll try one more time before I go ahead and send it in to Palm to have it repaired. I'll just reactivate my Blackberry if I have to, I'd rather keep my current phone than have a piece of junk like what they tried to give me yesterday.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    My phone is still fine and I am crossing my fingers.

One thing I want to know is how bad are Oreo symptoms? I read someone said he got 3mm, that does seemed pretty bad. My Pre has a little Oreo action, but it is about 1mm each way. I don't consider is bad and want to know from people who has retuned it, how bad was it.

BTW, my Pre ear buds passed the washing machine test.
    I will be surprised if the actual phone design is retained in the Pre2... The phone does fit the name... Pre as in "pre"-production-like phone. They should get rid of the Pre name and go "Pro" for second gen.

I think they shot themselves in the foot with the phone design. I mean it's unique and guess it adds to the WOW factor when showing a concept phone with a new WebOS..

But the problem is once the concept wows everyone and it's a huge hit they love the design... then I think they realized they are actually commited to delivering that phone and design into production without really looking into if it's really the best design to go with for manufacturing and durability.

I mean... Slide design with a slight curved angle that tilts and doesnt snag to keyboard... molded one piece front cover/lens for the display... curved and rounded no less (I won't be surprised if over time there are thin areas on the front cover that may cause cracks). It is a super small form so jam all that hardware and make it work? Those guys at Foxconn must have looked at that form factor and said (in Chinese), "***?!"

I saw this article and think it probably true that it was a pain to build...

Palm Pixie Is Real, But May Never Come To Market

"We’ve also heard from multiple sources that Palm initially ordered 500,000 units of the Palm Pre from Foxconn for delivery by the end of May. Instead, they got 150,000 units in June. The reason? “the device’s complicated mechanical design caused low yield rates.” The result was a delayed launch and poor supply."

It's too late now... hard to have seen this coming. It was a risk going with a unique shape... time will tell but think will look back and see it was a hurtin point.

The rest of the phone rocks... OS wise. When I was considering a Pre, I said before... the OS rocks and I can deal with any glitches because they can be resolved with updates... I just dont want any hardware issues because I cant stand hardware issues. Seeing all the exchanges in my Poll... even if you increase the percentage of error but also taking into account so many that posted exchanges (and surprised that people even now talk about their 4th Pre months later)... definitely convinced me it's not within normal range and a major reason I had take a pass on this one. But hope they have it together for my next purchase.

Maybe for those early adopters when the next gen comes out next year, they will offer the upgrade at the $199 price instead of the unsubsidized price. If over time it does look like that there are build issues, that would be a great offer to 1st gen owners.
    I'm starting to think the build quality is not going to be better anytime soon. Sprint and palm are not saying anything about the issues and it seems that they don't feel it is a big problem. Sprint reps have admitted to me that it is a problem but they have not gotten any memos stating any upcoming fix or recall.

A good example is the sprint htc touch pro which is a slider too. They have customers that are on their 7th pro due to bad keyboards. You would think htc or sprint would step up and say there is an issue and start switching people to other phones. Sprint service reps will tell you to stay away from the phone, but won't do anything about it if you have a defective one. Its a shame when you buy a product and then have a problem and get stuck with a refurb. That's not fair in my eyes.

The pre is a great phone but when these things happen it leaves a bad taste for people. The hesitation will be there when the next pre comes out also. Palm rushed this phone and it is obvious in many ways. I don't understand how they can refurb phones that has more issues than the original phone the person is turning in. I got offered a refurb and drove cross town to find out the refurb was worst than mine. The service rep said I don't know what to tell you. That's horrible. I don't blame sprint because they are the middle man. The manufacter has to take blame and fix it at no cost to the consumer.

Other companies are doing the same thing to people everyday and we stand for it. Look at the xbox360 or the psp. Horrible issues and a horrible warranty to go with it. I think a petition is at hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    ...If you guys really want to complain....go get a Touch Pro. You think the Pre is bad? Wait till you play with one of those buggers. Your Pre will feel like a cadillac!! It has slider issues, software issues, chrome/case issues, horrible batt life issues, D-Pad issues, keyboard issues. I can go on and on about how bad the TP is. You either get a replacement or you suck it up. I prefer to replace till I get one to MY standards.
    And how is this dif from the Pre? All five of mine have has issues like you describe. I'm glad some or maybe most people are having good luck. That and the OS keeps me with the Pre...OH and the hours i have invested on it, lol. ALL the people I know with Pre's have had to exchange at least once. I wish that wasn't the "case" cuz the OS is amazing. Get it?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The build quality is my only complaint with the device too. Its sad to even say this but...

You can fix the creaking back with a bit of sticky tape rolled back on itself that holds a piece of hard plastic in place to act as a filler. Just make sure the tape is stuck to the case back and the hard plastic filler is what is resting against the inside of the phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast