Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    nvm, product is defective I found out. Move along, nothing to see it.
    Last edited by gage006; 09/20/2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: delete please
    Im using the palm OEM car charger and never have probs... I have seen alot of cig lighter adapters not always work because of design flaws in cig lighters in certain cars.

EG. VW cig lighters, never a prob...
    Dodge, Never work.

Option... You could have a local mobile electronics shop hard wire an extra recepticle and usb cable somewhere hidden in your car.

I have noticed that other cables, even Micro usb, dont seem to work well... I think the palm plug shape is proprietary.
    Last edited by JamesPickettphotography; 09/20/2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: more info
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Hrm I didn't think to see if there's a problem with my cigarette lighter, could be a power issue there and not the actual charger (as those specs are dead on for what the Palm one uses).
    It would be a fitment issue as opposed to a voltage issue....
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    The fitment of the device in my car is fine, it charged my Blackberry faithfully for quite awhile. The cable is the exact cable that came with the phone, so I hope that wouldn't be an issue.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    maybe something's loose? I actually charge my pre in my car through a generic USB adapter that I originally bought on ebay for my ipod
    So ... it works sometimes but not always? I assume the blue light on the front of the adapter is always "on". How do you get it to work ... re-connect the cable to the Pre, or jiggle it or something? What cable are you using, the Palm supplied cable or some 3rd party?

I've seen both bad fits in the cigarette lighter and bad fits in the Pre USB port (which can be hard to access for larger connectors). Had to jiggle one or the other to get it on. If the blue light on the Belkin is on, then it's getting power from the car and the fit there would appear to be good. On mine (an old Jabra USB charger I had) there's a also an issue of it sometimes takes the Pre a few seconds (or more than a few) to recognize it's connected.

I'm curious about this particular adapter and the Pre. Love the low-profile for the car so I was thinking about getting one. Also, if it's really a good 1A, it should charge quickly and might even power a Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yeah, I really think it's an issue with my car not supplying enough juice or something, every single document I can find says it's 1 amp, including on the thing itself. I'm going to figure out how to test the amps later tonight when it's not 100 degrees outside.

I did just order the Kensington LiquidAux so I guess when that arrives, if it doesn't work either, it increases the chances that it's my Pre. I figured out how to get it to recognize it every time, if I have the phone unlocked and powered on (not on standby with the screen off) it'll recognize it after a few seconds. Really odd. Just to clear it up one more time, I am using the official Pre USB cable, the same one that came with my phone. If I had another microusb cable i'd test it out but I don't.

I really love this charger, as I can charge every device I own in my car with an easy swap of the usb cable. The blue light is pretty bright and distracting but I just turned it upside down and when a cable it plugged in, the light is blocked.
    I've had problems since i've had the Pre and the car charger. i use the Sprint car charger for the Pre. The light has always been on but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I'm on the phone and plug it in, it will not charge. If I plug it in before a call, sometimes it works, sometimes it wont. I've found that if I shut the screen down and back on it seems to work more times than not. I've went to the generic usb charger and that works alot better.