Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    yep, i smoke camel non-filters and there are two or three small pieces of tobacco caught inside the glass of my pre's lens. shockingly, my pictures look like crap now. anyone have any ideas about how i can remedy this?
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    stop smoking.. JK I had to say it

Did you try using a can of compressed air to blow out the lens?
    How did they get inside?? You sure it isn't on the outside, just stuck to the glass?
    I would try using compressed air or dab a q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol on it (if it is on the outside of the glass. the alcohol would help loosen/break it up).
    Follow Me On

Just be REALLY careful....i saw on another forum that some people had a horror story with compressed air and the speaker & mic
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    How about a camera lens brush? Or even a soft toothbrush???
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    yep, i smoke camel non-filters and there are two or three small pieces of tobacco caught inside the glass of my pre's lens. shockingly, my pictures look like crap now. anyone have any ideas about how i can remedy this?
    I don't think compressed air will help at this point.

pieces of tobacco?... curious... do you keep your cigs in the same pocket as your phone? cause it sounds like the phone has gaps or crevices where if you have little bits in your pocket... this time it is tobacco pieces by chance but can be lint or other bits or crumbs that can work it's way in.

You think gaps would be a build issue that let this happen and Sprint will swap it? If so I would think of another way of carrying your phone for now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    How did they get inside?? You sure it isn't on the outside, just stuck to the glass?
    I would try using compressed air or dab a q-tip with a little rubbing alcohol on it (if it is on the outside of the glass. the alcohol would help loosen/break it up).
    ugh, i would think alcohol or any liquid would help it get mushy and then stain the lens with tobacco color... if you were lucky to get the piece out, you would have tobacco stained photos going forward.
    Light up the Pre and smoke it?

Exactly the same thing happens to me, well almost, camel lights. No idea how to get it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wow, that's impressive!
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Maybe we should put up a post on Tips and Tricks warming people not to smoke around their Pres?
    Your Pre can't be anymore then 4 mos old. It is not legal for it to smoke.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    It's true... you can make a bong out of almost anything...
    Best thing to do is put it in your washing machine. As long as you select a delicate program like say for wool it should be fine. Oh and dont forget to use a good quality fabric softner!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    well, i went to the sprint store today. the girl who checked me in took my phone back to the techs, and compressed air-blowing commenced. she brought it back and said they couldn't get it out and suggested i make an insurance claim. i expressed my opinion that only a manufacturing defect could allow debris to get lodged inside the camera lens, and she immediately got a bad attitude. she was mouthy and unhelpful for a few minutes, suggesting that they would replace the phone today if i paid $120. eventually i asked for the store manager by name (i dealt with him when my wife's pre cracked about a week after launch and he was great) and she disappeared into the back again with my phone. a few minutes later another tech came out with my phone, magically debris-free. they were able to disassemble it enough to remedy my problem, so i am happy now.

just goes to show - it pays to not give up when sprint employees start throwing up roadblocks. if i had listened to the first young lady with the bad attitude, i would have had to deal with asurion to resolve my issue. instead, my phone is back to operational. i don't understand why sprint continues to have such unhelpful people on the front lines, but there are quality folks in the back if you are persistent.
    You know, if you can just replace the back cover that is an option. I'm sure the stock Pre covers are aplenty on craiglist.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    You know, if you can just replace the back cover that is an option. I'm sure the stock Pre covers are aplenty on craiglist.
    the back cover has nothing to do with the lens - it just has a hole for it to fit in. if it had been that easy i would have had no problems at all.
    well, i went to the sprint store today. the girl who checked me in took my phone back to the techs, and compressed air-blowing commenced. she brought it back and said they couldn't get it out and suggested i make an insurance claim. i expressed my opinion that only a manufacturing defect could allow debris to get lodged inside the camera lens, and she immediately got a bad attitude. she was mouthy and unhelpful for a few minutes, suggesting that they would replace the phone today if i paid $120. eventually i asked for the store manager by name (i dealt with him when my wife's pre cracked about a week after launch and he was great) and she disappeared into the back again with my phone. a few minutes later another tech came out with my phone, magically debris-free. they were able to disassemble it enough to remedy my problem, so i am happy now.

just goes to show - it pays to not give up when sprint employees start throwing up roadblocks. if i had listened to the first young lady with the bad attitude, i would have had to deal with asurion to resolve my issue. instead, my phone is back to operational. i don't understand why sprint continues to have such unhelpful people on the front lines, but there are quality folks in the back if you are persistent.
    Good to hear you got it taken care of. Any idea how they got it out? Does the lens pop off, screw off, slide off, etc.?
    eventually i asked for the store manager by name (i dealt with him when my wife's pre cracked about a week after launch and he was great) and she disappeared into the back again with my phone. a few minutes later another tech came out with my phone, magically debris-free. they were able to disassemble it enough to remedy my problem, so i am happy now.
    It's the same risk you take when sending food back to the kitchen in a dive restaurant: Don't be surprised if you keep smelling whiffs of urine whenever you hold your Pre is near your face.
    Dude...stop smoking! I didn't believe the stench of smoke can cling but it really can! I bought a book on eBay and wow..smoke stench is etched deep into the pages. As for the lens....errr, dunno, might try a q-tip and see if you can rub it out gently.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast