1.    #1  
    Alright it is getting to my last nerves i am trying to install Optware using cmd and i can't take the socket eof error can someone please tell me how to fix this or do i have just no freakin' hope
    Let me answer your last question first - You most certainly have hope.

Optware is known to work on WebOS 1.1, which everybody is running unless they've gone a long way out of their way to run a different version, and I believe it works on most or all version. What that means for you, is that this is a simple PEBKAC* problem.

So, let's get some more info from you:

1. Are you in fact running 1.1?
    2. What operating system are you running on your desktop?
    3. Are you trying to install with the Pre connected to USB? (it certainly sounds like it from your post)
    4. Have you previously used the root terminal successfully?
    5. Have you made any major changes to the system on your Pre?
    6. Please explain the exact point at which you are encountering an error?

*PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
  3.    #3  
    1. Are you in fact running 1.1?
    (Yes i am running 1.1.0)
    2. What operating system are you running on your desktop?
    (Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium)
    3. Are you trying to install with the Pre connected to USB? (it certainly sounds like it from your post)
    (I put it on "Just Charge" like i am supposed to do)
    4. Have you previously used the root terminal successfully?
    (No this is my first time but i know what to do trust me read enough about it)
    5. Have you made any major changes to the system on your Pre?
    (Homebrew apps two days ago and 1.1.0 update the day i go the phone)
    6. Please explain the exact point at which you are encountering an error?
    (After i type in "novacom -t open tty:// i go to root@castle and later gives me that error and yes developer mode is on)
  4.    #4  
    Can someone please help? and read my other post with the answers to the questions
  5.    #5  
    58 Views can someone f***in' help you see i want to root my pre i will help you guys with your problems all i want is for someone to help me root my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by preultra64 View Post
    58 Views can someone f***in' help you see i want to root my pre i will help you guys with your problems all i want is for someone to help me root my pre
    I know this isn't a very helpful response, but from the responses you've given, there's isn't an obvious problem. That means it may take a while to get a solid answer.

The one answer of yours that gives me pause was you explanation of exactly when that error comes up. You said you get to root@castle like it should, and then later you get the error.

How much later? Are we talking about it poping up before you have a chance to type in any commands, is it poping up in response to a specific command, or are you getting to the root console and then walking away for a while?

I know it seems like I'm picking at nothing, but since it sounds like you're doing everything right, there's some detail we're missing here.

You're getting as far as the root shell, and you've got homebrew stuff installed (which I assume was done with WebOSQuickInstall) so novacom is functioning properly and so is your Pre. You're also running Vista32, which I haven't seen a lot of problems with.

Can you list all of the homebrew stuff you installed, and especially any tweaks or patches you installed using WebOSQuickInstall?
    Dude am facing the same prob ...says novocomd socket closed prematurely
    I know this is not the solution to your problem, but as a work-around have you tried using the terminal plugin on the Pre to install optware? That's actually I originally installed optware on my Pre FWIW...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions