Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was having the same problem this weekend at home. My computer gave me the "USB device not recognized" message and my PrPrPr&#$275$; $did$ $not$ $show$ $the$ $Media$ $Sync$/$USB$ $Drive$/$Just$ $Charge$ $options$. $I$ $was$ $racking$ $my$ $brain$ $trying$ $to$ $figure$ $it$ $out$. $I$ $restarted$ $both$ $my$ $computer$ $and$ $my$ $Pr$&#$275$; $and$ $no$ $luck$. $After$ $reading$ $this$ $thread$ ($and$ $a$ $couple$ $of$ $similar$ $ones$), $I$ $had$ $a$ $hunch$ $and$ $waited$ $until$ $I$ $got$ $to$ $work$ $this$ $week$ $and$ $tried$ $a$ $different$ $cable$ $that$ $I$ $had$ $set$ $up$ $in$ $my$ $office$ $strictly$ $for$ $charging$. $I$ $unplugged$ $it$ $from$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $AC$ $adapter$ $and$ $plugged$ $it$ $into$ $my$ $computer$. $It$ $worked$ $like$ $a$ $charm$.

The weird thing is that I've only had my PrPrPr&#$275$; $for$ $a$ $few$ $weeks$ $and$ $the$ $cable$ $that$ $doesn$'$t$ $work$ $is$ $the$ $original$ $cable$ $that$ $came$ $with$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$;. $The$ $one$ $that$ $works$ $is$ $a$ $2nd$ $cable$ $that$ $I$ $bought$ $from$ $the$ $Sprint$ $store$ ($yes$ $I$ $could$ $have$ $got$ $it$ $cheaper$ $elsewhere$ $but$ $it$ $was$ $a$ $2nd$ $accessory$ $that$ $gave$ $me$ $20$% $off$ $both$ $the$ $cable$ $and$ $the$ $case$ $I$ $bought$ $with$ $my$ $new$ $phone$ - $the$ $cable$ $ended$ $up$ $costing$ $me$ $something$ $like$ $$8$).

So now I'm wondering about getting the PrPrPr&#$275$; $cable$ $replaced$. $Does$ $anyone$ $here$ $think$ $that$ $I$'$ll$ $have$ $any$ $luck$ $going$ $to$ $the$ $Sprint$ $Store$ $and$ $asking$ $them$ $to$ $replace$ $it$ $there$. $Or$ $will$ $it$ $be$ $better$ $to$ $go$ $through$ $Palm$ $online$ $or$ $other$ $the$ $phone$?
    hmmmm.............no device found...

If i update to pres newest Firmware do homebrew apps still work because i tried this yesterday with a fully updated pre and i was getting the same message, i returned my pre for other reasons and got a factory firmware set one but i still get the error, im gonna try a couple things and post back.!! i want my homebrew apps :PPP!!!

In Dev Mode, Reset Palm/Computer
    Have WebOS/Doctor...quick install set to USB.

I don't see why it still can't recognize!!.. Recognize!!! Break yo self!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    mine was doing this too....turns out my usb cable went bad and i needed a new one.
    Hmmm wonder if that is the case with mine as well. I tried it on a couple of computers and it wouldn't work. The one on my Apple MacBook pro at work works fine and I thought it was because it was running on the apple, plus the Windows Vista VMWare... Makes sense, I'll have to bring that cable back home to try.
    Confirmed!!!! I've been having this problem for a couple of months, thinking that it was my crappy Vista installation which wasn't working for some reason. It was working so well before then it stopped. I messed with installing, de-installing, hacking it with Orca, and I finally gave up as it seemed only to work on my work computer. I tried it on another WindowsXP computer and it gave me the same error that the USB device couldn't be recognized. I messed with that computer and no luck. I brought my laptop to work and used the other cable which I had at work and shazam it works! Fricken cable gone bad, however it charges totally fine. Anyone know what makes these cables go bad?
    I am having the same problem...computer not recognizing pre. Tried two cables, reinstalling novacom (get error message and am asked if I want to report this to MS), rebooted both computer and pre numerous times, and changed developer mode to on and off and nothing works!!!! When I plug my pre into computer it also doesn't give me options of charging, usb or anything. HELP!
    I am getting a NO DEVICE DETECTED error as well from Webos Quick Install. I also cannot connect to the device manually from novacom. I have the Pre on Dev Mode and Just Charge. What am I doing wrong.
    Please Help!
    I just went thru this my self, I just removed Novacom restarted the PC and re installed ...after hours and hours I am good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by txcybermom View Post
    I am having the same problem...computer not recognizing pre. Tried two cables, reinstalling novacom (get error message and am asked if I want to report this to MS), rebooted both computer and pre numerous times, and changed developer mode to on and off and nothing works!!!! When I plug my pre into computer it also doesn't give me options of charging, usb or anything. HELP!
    If you have a friend who has a Pre, try borrowing their working cable or have them use yours to test. If your friend can use your cable properly then use that cable and try to reinstall novacom drivers. Depending on your OS there are a few places you can look for information on installing the drivers. Also have your friend plug your Pre with the working cable into their computer. You may have a bad USB port.
    I am having the same problem with 2 windows 7 laptops. I cannot do anything but charge. This is getting really annoying.
    I also tried 2 windows xp computers and same think. It starts charging right away and will not give me options to go to media sync or usb mode. On the computer it says that the usb device cannot be recognized and trying to install drivers does no good. I am going to go to the sprint store tomorrow to get a new usb cable and hopefully that might solve the problem.
    Same here fellas. What do we do?
    There is no spoon
    I am having the same issues. No Device recognized.
    - Reset the phone, don't know how many times.
    - Reset My computer about 5 times.
    - Re-installed Novacom Twice
    - Did a partial erase
    - un-installed the usb controllers on my pc and rebooted.
    - cleaned the ends of the usb cable.
    - plugged the usb cable in to different USB hubs

Off to swap the cable out with Sprint.
    Ok so it WAS the cable. Oh, the joys of dealing with the technicians / sales reps in the Sprint stores in NYC. Good god. I may offer Sprint my services. They pay me $200,000 a year and I'll manage and project manage every store in New York City. I'll do the recruiting and ENSURE that people are treated they way I would like to be treated instead of being treated like a C**T
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have updated to 1.3.5.1 and I'm also getting the message in WebOSQuickInstall that my device isn't recognized.

I don't think its my USB cable because it still offers me the options to charge, media sync or USB drive and all 3 of those options still work. Plus, I tried my girlfriends USB cable that came with her Pixi and got the same error.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you need to reinstall novacom driver . But first reboot both the computer then the phone and double check that ur in dev. mode and in just charge and try it again,if that don't work ....Then reinstall novacom driver the link for instuctions is in one of my first posts up top webos quick installer
    Thanks for this. It seemed to be a mixture of turning developer mode off and on again, combined with rebooting the PC that solved this for me.
    Now able to run WebOS QuickInstall at last!
    Quote Originally Posted by jchstevens View Post
    Thanks for this. It seemed to be a mixture of turning developer mode off and on again, combined with rebooting the PC that solved this for me.
    Now able to run WebOS QuickInstall at last!
    glad you got it working man!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by AR Racer View Post

So now I'm wondering about getting the PrPrPr&#$275$; $cable$ $replaced$. $Does$ $anyone$ $here$ $think$ $that$ $I$'$ll$ $have$ $any$ $luck$ $going$ $to$ $the$ $Sprint$ $Store$ $and$ $asking$ $them$ $to$ $replace$ $it$ $there$. $Or$ $will$ $it$ $be$ $better$ $to$ $go$ $through$ $Palm$ $online$ $or$ $other$ $the$ $phone$?
    It really depends on the condition of the cable itself. If it appears to be terribly damaged from the outside, then whatever rep you see will just shrug it off as "physical damage" and offer you another one at a cost. If the cable looks perfect, but won't charge and you can prove it in store, they will have to swap you a new one.

Palm accessories and whatnot are cheaper online than they are in Sprint stores. So you might want to browse the Precentral store (conveniently located somewhere above this post). Calling Sprint Customer Service will get you nowhere, believe me. They'll tell you to go in store.

Quote Originally Posted by pexton View Post
    Ok so it WAS the cable. Oh, the joys of dealing with the technicians / sales reps in the Sprint stores in NYC. Good god. I may offer Sprint my services. They pay me $200,000 a year and I'll manage and project manage every store in New York City. I'll do the recruiting and ENSURE that people are treated they way I would like to be treated instead of being treated like a C**T
    Well, I know that good customer service must be at a premium at an NYC location, considering the reps are probably used to getting treated like crap by every customer that doesn't get their way when s*** is introduced to fan. Not saying that you're necessarily a bad customer, but from personal experience all it can take for some people to act irate for the rest of the day is one a**hat of a customer ****ing them off.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have been having the problem as well. I reinstalled novacom, tested all of my cables on another computer (where they worked fine), shut down & rebooted the PC and phone, etc. etc. Nothing fixed it until I did this:

www DOT online-tech-tips DOT com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

Sorry I can't post actual links since my post count is too low...

Basically I just shut the computer down and unplug it for about 30 seconds. Since it is a laptop I also had to pull the battery out. Boot back up and all is fine.
    I am having problems with USB mode also. I can connect to my phone in dev mode while in charge mode with webos quick install fine. When I go to USB mode to move files on and off it doesnt want to work anymore. It used to work fine on this same computer and I have not reinstalled the OS.

It used to show as the palm pre in my computer under the removable storage section, now it just shows as removable disk and when I click on that, I get a working icon and my computer bogs down until I unplug the phone.

I am running windows 7. I have tried reinstalling drivers, rebooting both the phone and computer multiple times. I plugged it into my XP system and it works fine in USB mode with the same cable so its not the cable or the phone.

The only thing I can think of that is causing this is that my USB controller on my motherboard went out last month so both front and back USB ports stopped working. I am currently plugging into a USB controller that plugs into a PCI slot. Those USB ports are working fine for my keyboard and the phone using webos quick install but maybe they wont work for the phone as removable disk?
    Mine doesn't show up at all unless I put it developer mode, and then it still doesn't work! I have used it on other computers so I know it isn't the cable
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12