1.    #1  
    Wanting to know what PC software I should use to convert a standard MP4 DVD rip I have to fit on the pre..
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Handbrake - its free.

Start with the iPhone preset. Change the screen width to 480 and the avg bitrate to 450, also check the 2 pass and turbo first pass boxes in the video tab and add it as a new preset named "Pre"

Works perfectly. I converted a bunch of movies to take with me on the Pre for my trip on sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Handbrake - its free.

Start with the iPhone preset. Change the screen width to 480 and the avg bitrate to 450, also check the 2 pass and turbo first pass boxes in the video tab and add it as a new preset named "Pre"

Works perfectly. I converted a bunch of movies to take with me on the Pre for my trip on sunday.

A big +1 on handbreak, but not on anything else ssrjazz said.

The iphone default already sets movies to 320x480 because the iphone and pre have the same screen resolution.

Also, none of the options or quality sliders need adjusting at all unless you're trying to force a smaller file size, in which case you can just go to the video tab and set a target file size.
  4.    #4  
    downloaded Handbrake, for some reason though when I convert it opens up a small DOS screen quickly, goes away.. but then i have an unusable file where i saved it. says "HandbrakeCLI.exe.stackdump"
    WHITE HORSE - Linked to instinct, purity and the drive of the physical body to release powerful and emotional forces, like rage with ensuing chaos and destruction. - The Subconscious Psychosis of Dreams
  5.    #5  
    anyone? thanks !
    WHITE HORSE - Linked to instinct, purity and the drive of the physical body to release powerful and emotional forces, like rage with ensuing chaos and destruction. - The Subconscious Psychosis of Dreams
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrill_Me007 View Post
    downloaded Handbrake, for some reason though when I convert it opens up a small DOS screen quickly, goes away.. but then i have an unusable file where i saved it. says "HandbrakeCLI.exe.stackdump"
    I am also having this problem!

I pick a source file, a destination file, and when I press start, a quick DOS screen comes up. Handbrake says encoding finished, but I'm only left with a 24 byte file that does nothing.
    To Thrill and others have problems with Handbrake (not encoding after pressing "start"):

I've searched around the Handbrake forums and it seems that there is a bug with the audio encoding. Switching from AAC to AC3 under the "audio and subtitles" tab allows the conversion to work. I'm currently encoding now and I'll let you know if it turns out ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    AC3 would play on the Pre so don't waste your time. If running Vista or Windows 7 you need to install with admin rights and run the program with admin rights.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try!
    I meant to say AC3 would not play on Pre.
    Yeah, I figured
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    another vote for handbrake w/ iphone settings
    Sigh, even after installing and running as administrator, it will will not encode.

I get this error log:

x264 [info]: profile Baseline, level 3.0
    44344 [unknown (0xD20)] HandBrakeCLI 3844 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    [12:56:45] sync: expecting 36300 video frames
    177592 [unknown (0xD20)] HandBrakeCLI 3844 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to HandBrakeCLI.exe.stackdump
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I am currently ripping a DVD of Wedding Crashers via Catalyst 3 Trial. It is taking forever to rip. (8-9 hours to rip) Maybe it is because it is a trial software but the layout is simple. Stick the DVD and go. I will report when the DVD is done.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    The max resolution is 640x480 and I have tried many apps and found handbrake to be the best.
    Video – webOSdev – Palm
    It's worth pointing out that even if the pre can handle video at 640x480, there is aboslutely no reason to do so.

The screen is 480x320, so the pre has to downsize the video during playback.

The best video quality is always obtained by making your video size the same as the native screen resolution.
    are you trying to convert mp4 to mp4? if so handbrake has some issues doing that.
    .mov and .mp4 to .mp4 hasn't worked for me.
    Rip your dvds to mpeg4. If you chose h264 it will take forever. I can rip a dvd to mpeg4 in bout 8 minutes.
    Are there quality differences? I thought everyone was "moving" to h264.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    h264 offers better compression for quality
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Try using the beta version of Handbrake if you are having trouble. It isn't guaranteed to be bug free or stable, but if you are having an issue it might be fixed in the latest version

HandBrake
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    h264 will give a very slightly smaller file size than mpeg4 in the same quality at the sacrifice of speed. So you have make a choice. Do you prefer a file that is 10MB larger with a much faster encoding time?
    If you have a decent computer, you don't have to even think about it. I encoded a 30 minute video just now in 4 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Try using the beta version of Handbrake if you are having trouble. It isn't guaranteed to be bug free or stable, but if you are having an issue it might be fixed in the latest version

HandBrake
    Thanks, I'll try that out.
    Last edited by thermodynamic; 09/20/2009 at 11:19 PM.