Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    i dropped in the survivor application the other day, and wondered if it was available for any of the other sprint phones (wife, daughter) and didn't find it.

then i had a flashback to the days of the previous phones i had - and realized that i was no longer chained to sprint for applications, ring tones, and misc junk.

in fact - if you have a pre in hand - you get the famous losing team on survivor statement: "i got nothing for ya."

wonder how much revenue pre's user accessibility is chewing off of sprint's bottom line...
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    What? I read your post 3 times and don't get what you're trying to say.

Are you saying the Pre is not locked to Sprint for ringtones or apps??
    Basically he/she is saying that Spring is losing money since theire app/ringers/games digital lounge is not used by the pre. Therefore, all the people owning Pre's which will spend money on the new app catalog will be helping out Palm while Sprint won't get the money from it since the apps are being sold by Palm.

At least that's what I think is being brought across.
    Last edited by draztikrhymez; 09/19/2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
    +1
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Never did buy anything from sprint for my treos. I don't use smartphones much for entertainment. Come to think of it, I don't use the Pre much for entertainment either.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Most of my 755 software was utility also and rarely entertainment - but I did pull a few ringtones down - & I know my sweetheart is/was a wallpaper/ringtone/screen saver nut (i'm think'n most women seem to be). Even 1 ringtone per pre is a good chunk of change.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Never did buy anything from sprint for my treos. I don't use smartphones much for entertainment. Come to think of it, I don't use the Pre much for entertainment either.
    to bad for you its a great entertainer ,you might even fall in love !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    eh they still have their sprint tv and whatnot.

they could also create their own apps, no?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I don't know that sprint ever created there own applications - they did distribute the works of others though.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I wouldn't say sprint is losing money, either.

merely one stream of potential revenue is closed off.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i'm sure sprint gets a cut of the app catalog revenue
    Sprint never got a dime from me for ringtones or software/entertainment in the 10 or so years that I have been a customer. They wouldn't have had those 10 years of business if they hadn't provided communication/organization/information products such as the sprint verion of the VisorPhone, the Treo 300, 600, and later products. Over the years, my wife and children have added phones. We've done our part of increasing Sprints ARPU (average revenue per user) as many other "treo families" have. Palm's Pre is offering Sprint a chance to bring many new people among the masses over to a phone they like. Sprint's goal right now is to gain market share by selling compelling phones with competitively priced plans. Yes, I'm paying more on Sprint than I ever did, but I'm also happy with the current features on the new phones, as well as knowing that the software will only get better in the two years of my current contract. The idea of selling ringtones and other such junk in a proprietary store does not grow the company and only trades short-term profit for lack of long term growth. Sprint is rightfully taking a longer term view and I, for one, do not want to see that to change back.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Sprint never really had much to offer to smart phones in the first place. Hell, some Windows Mobile phones couldn't even support Sprint TV. I don't see how this is very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i'm sure sprint gets a cut of the app catalog revenue
    this....sprint gets kickbacks from palm for app catalog purchases
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I'l definitely agree that market share is good - but you'l never convince a dollar store owner that nickel & dime don't make a significant difference. I'l also add that the pre is not an effective business phone compared to the recent generations of palms - in fact, if you are a hard corre business user the pre fails magnificently (I still carry & use my 755 for spreads/docs/and presentations. My pre is a wonderful phone but it does not compute (yet).

The pre is a cloud floating, entertainment instrument - which attracts gamers, and phone customizing folks. That is the basis of many 'why won't my pre make coffee?' threads in the forum.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    At home depot & lowes - it's not the appliances that make the money - it's nuts, bolts, & sticks of wood...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    this....sprint gets kickbacks from palm for app catalog purchases
    I highly doubt that.
    the app store and app catalog keep carriers out of the transactions.
    I don't think Sprint will get kickback from the App catalog, that's a WebOS implementation, not a Sprint implementation. Still, I have no doubt Sprint doesn't care, because so long as the phone is enticing and selling Sprint is making money on plans and sales agreements with Palm. Not to mention Sprints desire to kick AT&T in the pants with a better, more capable iClone, I mean phone.