Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Now that the pre can't sync with iTunes, I can't find a way to delete all the music off of my pre. Any ideas?
    go to mediasync mode or usb mode, look at the root folder. there is a ''hidden'' Itunes folder . so you might have to go to folder options and show hidden folders. then it will look faded compared to other folders. Delete that folder.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    yea um...I can't say that I know what a root folder is or how I am supposed to get there. I would very much like to avoid rooting my pre if it all possible. Would it be a pain to provide me with step by step instructions?
    plug in pre in usb mode... go to tools, then folder options and enable show hidden files... there will be a file called .iTunes i believe. this is the folder RanGT is speaking of. hope that clear it up... no rooting required
    have you tried using doubletwist (even tough it should be the same as in itunes) under device you should see the Pre. Next select the music folder then all your music should show up. Select all and then delete. That should remove the media off your device

Good Luck
    you could probably use winamp to do this too... plug in mediasync mode and use winamp
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Doubletwist didn't work. hoppy's instructions seemed easy enough to follow, but I don't know what program I should be doing all this in. I'm on a mac btw
    sorry my instructions were for a pc and using simple folder view... not sure about a mac... i've used my pre on a mac, but never opened the folders for it.. let me try right now and ill report back
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afhb21 View Post
    I'm on a mac btw
    You just use the Mac's finder. Once you select USB mode on the Pre, it will mount as a drive on your Mac. Click on it and delete the iTunes Folder. Then empty the trash.

Also, next, you should attach your Pre to a Windows PC and delete all the .DS Store files that your Mac sticks there .
    well only thing i just discovered were my lack of mac skills... sorry... i'm use to linux and windows
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    there is not itunes folder in the drive in the finder. Is there a way to show hidden files in the finder?
    Step one: go to best buy and buy a pc
    step two: do the rest

haha, j/k. sorry, root folder meant first folder/main folder when you first plug it in. just curious, what does mac/apple say about using pre with mac....bc i read that they always say they want to support their mac products/customers working with itunes. do they just tell you to get iphone?

anyways, hope it is working out. but yah, keep your music on their and sync with double twist that will sinc itunes.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Ahh, i hope everyone knows I feel half-retarded, I consider myself somewhat computer literate, but I can't seem to figure this out. I downloaded houdini to get at my hidden files. I found something that says ipod control, but there doesn't seem to be any music in there. And houdini seems to think it isn't hidden anyway so, therefore won't let me unhide it.
    Quote Originally Posted by afhb21 View Post
    Ahh, i hope everyone knows I feel half-retarded, I consider myself somewhat computer literate, but I can't seem to figure this out. I downloaded houdini to get at my hidden files. I found something that says ipod control, but there doesn't seem to be any music in there. And houdini seems to think it isn't hidden anyway so, therefore won't let me unhide it.
    now i could be 100% wrong (probably am) but to get the .itunes folder show up you want to plug the pre in and use mediasync mode not usb mode... then houdini then you will find a folder containing music, but they will have wierd names like F01 F02 due to itunes doing this... hope this helps... im just not use to doing this type of thing on a mac... using linux makes getting to all the files very easy, but that obviously helps you 0.0%
    On my Mac using DoubleTwist has worked for me. See my attached image

1st select Media Sync on the Pre
    2nd Open DoubleTwist
    3rd Look for Devices on the left
    4th Under device you should see Palm Pre
    5th Under Palm Pre You should see Music Select this
    6th then select all music
    7th select move to trash

Everything should be gone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    yeah i mean if you have double twist that would clearly be easier
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I used doubletwist and did exactly what you said. but none of my music actually deleted. and i found those F01 and F02 files and there was nothing in them and I couldn't delete them because houdini wouldn't let me unhide them.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I just plugged my pre into my mac to check.. iTunes still recognizes the Pre, adds music to it, and autofills from my playlists. I'm not sure what you mean by it's not syncing with iTunes anymore.

Don't know what to say about the hidden files though. There used to be a folder in my Pre called 'Music' but it's disappeared.

Also.... what is this doubletwist prog for?
    Disable MediaSync on the Pre, it will delete all the iTunes files. RTFM :-)
    The simplest solution would be to download (Old Version of iTunes 9.0.1 Download - OldApps.com) and install iTunes 9.01, which I'm pretty sure was the last version of iTunes that was fully syncable with the Pre. Then move all of your iTunes music files out of your iTunes folder... put them into a temporary folder on your desktop... and sync your Pre to your Mac. All of the music should be automatically deleted from your Pre.

When that is done, you can replace all of your music from your desktop into the Tunes folder, reinstall the current iTunes, and use DoubleTwist or Missing Sync to reinstall your music.
    Last edited by booklaw1; 09/16/2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast