1.    #1  
    Out of those who use mytether, about how much are you all using a month? A friend of mine is thinking about using it as her primary internet...is that a good idea? Is sprint okay if you stay under 5GB/month? What about being on a shared plan with two pres? is there a cap for each line or??
    I'm going to go with Sprint not liking it, and people using it compulsively will bring bad things to the few of us that use it when we have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    Out of those who use mytether, about how much are you all using a month? A friend of mine is thinking about using it as her primary internet...is that a good idea? Is sprint okay if you stay under 5GB/month? What about being on a shared plan with two pres? is there a cap for each line or??
    Technically, sprint probably isn't okay with using tether at all. Before release they advertised it as a "feature" of the pre, and it was removed before it went to market. And that certainly wasn't a development problem since the homebrew scene added the funcionality back pretty quickly.

Is it a good idea as your only internet service? That depends your personal morality, and how much you use the internet. You could justify using MyTether for occasional mobile web, or as a back-up as falling under "reasonable use", but without a doubt, using it for your primary ISP is stealing.

Also, Sprint has the right to cancel your service if they believe you are abusing the system. No, there is no 5GB limit on this type of data plan, but if you're using more than 5GB on a smartphone, sprint will probably notice.

So, if you're okay with 'minor' theft, and you think you'll use it little enough that sprint doesn't notice, then you're all set, except for the fact that it's only ~1.5Mb with a really good signal.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    myTether is a Godsend app and I use it as my mifi device as I travel often. You shouldnt think about myTether as something new, Windows Mobile & Symbian have had this solution for years with Joiku and WalkingHotspot.com apps. Dont feel bad about using it as primary internet either, Mifi devices and aircards sole purpose are to be a "seperate" device, if you use the web on your small pre screen or tether it to your laptop to see it on a bigger screen then it is still the same internet and you have the right as long as you are paying them for it to use it how you please.
    I'd NEVER Advise someone to use a thether or AirCard solution as their only Internet Access. 5gigs just is not what it used to be. And at some point sprint is gonna catch on!

Dont feel bad about using it as primary internet either, Mifi devices and aircards sole purpose are to be a "seperate" device, if you use the web on your small pre screen or tether it to your laptop to see it on a bigger screen then it is still the same internet and you have the right as long as you are paying them for it to use it how you please.
    I would not say that. The User agreement for sprint prohibits this. Making it your only internet access means you will be using much more data from the EVDO connection. Packet Sniffers can detect where the data is going. Thus sprint could find you in violation of said user agreement and pull the plug on you...Not saying it will happen, but it is possible. Also the reason for Aircards and Mifi devices, is to create a seperation between data used for a phone and data used for a differant device like a laptop or computer. A seperate revenue stream for the carriers.. I am not going to go on record saying I like the idea, but it is their game and they get to make the rules.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 09/18/2009 at 09:49 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasi View Post
    if you use the web on your small pre screen or tether it to your laptop to see it on a bigger screen then it is still the same internet and you have the right as long as you are paying them for it to use it how you please.
    What an absolute crock. No one has a "right" to use Sprint's network. You pay for use, and you agree to certain terms.

Using the Pre to allow other devices to connect to the internet is a violation of those the terms of service (TOS). Occasional use, Sprint is unlikely to notice, or care. Using it as the only internet connection, they are likely to notice and care.

Giving reasonable advice on whether or not they'll notice is one thing, passing around incorrect information, and nonsense about "rights" is another.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    You know, I feared that a few idiots would ruin this for everyone.

I have tethered about 5 times in 2.5 months. I've never used more than 2GB total data, and that includes tethering. Actually I'm usually closer to 1GB of total data.

I hope the MyTether people pull the free version. I think people paying for it would be a little smarter.

I wouldn't say I need this, but I do travel a lot, and at times finding a WiFi hotspot (I have a boingo account) is inconvenient or impossible.

Bottom line is tethering is breaking the TOS of your Sprint account, it should be used as a last resort. If you need it regularly than I think you need to buy a MyFi or wireless card plan.

BTW, I used to (rarely) tether on 1X RTT using Verizon. Technically against the TOS as well, but VZW didn't really care about 1X tethering (unofficially), and they never charged me for it. However, people who tried EVDO tethering not only got a bill but got booted.
    At least Verizon has a provision whereby you can pay $10 a month extra to tether legitimately.
    Looking @ my data logs on my home router I use on average about .3 to .5GB a day just by having my ps3 on and logged in for a movie or 2 + surfing with my pre. So just that casual usuage will get you up to the 5GB limit in about a week.

In my personal opinion I would advise against it as a primary but not as an occasional thing (vacation etc). I say you would be better off grabbing one of the connections in your area.

Now with that said all my internet is done from my pre and/or ps3 now. I hardly ever turn on my laptop anymore.

P.s. The .5 GB a day does not factor in use @ work or my streaming audio to and fro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    At least Verizon has a provision whereby you can pay $10 a month extra to tether legitimately.
    yeah, att has this as well on some devices. What I think is upsetting is that the tethering feature is allowed on alot of Sprint Smartphones without extra charge. Just not on the PRE.

Abasi's way of thinking is actually common in europe and the standard practice from my understanding..I've talked to people starting a new line of service after moving from europe who literally laugh at me when i tell them its an additional cost to tether because in europe they are used to much more favorable treatment from their wireless companies. However they dont have the lobbyists our carriers have, I guess.....

I've used 5gigs in a single day before. Streaming movies all day and downloading some MP3's and a game from direct to drive....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 09/18/2009 at 10:36 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  11.    #11  
    Alright, that's what I figured, I told her to stop being a cheap *** and pay for some real internet. That, or get a blackberry where tethering is included with sprint smartview
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasi View Post
    Mifi devices and aircards sole purpose are to be a "seperate" device
    That's some good advice there ... a separate device is quite correct, you get unlimited data to your computer and you pay for it too. Or you know, you could just steal it.

I can't find it, but Palm pretty much asked us as a community to not do too much tethering or Sprint would cut us off ... or for all we know, starting next week when Palm doesn't support tethering in the new update and you use the next version of myTether, we get billed at $.10 a byte. Doubt it, but it's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    You know, I feared that a few idiots would ruin this for everyone.

I have tethered about 5 times in 2.5 months. I've never used more than 2GB total data, and that includes tethering. Actually I'm usually closer to 1GB of total data.

I hope the MyTether people pull the free version. I think people paying for it would be a little smarter.

I wouldn't say I need this, but I do travel a lot, and at times finding a WiFi hotspot (I have a boingo account) is inconvenient or impossible.

Bottom line is tethering is breaking the TOS of your Sprint account, it should be used as a last resort. If you need it regularly than I think you need to buy a MyFi or wireless card plan.

BTW, I used to (rarely) tether on 1X RTT using Verizon. Technically against the TOS as well, but VZW didn't really care about 1X tethering (unofficially), and they never charged me for it. However, people who tried EVDO tethering not only got a bill but got booted.
    this would not be a better idea at all,this actually would be worse. you would be paying money for the program while taking data from sprint and not paying them. They would not be happy about this.

And I am using mytether as my primary isp right now since I'm in the middle of moving, but I still stay under 5gb for a month, but I use my laptop not for streaming video or music but to check forums and email, same thing I do on the pre, just much easier on the hands and eyes
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre