Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    well, im a teenager and i love the palm pre i like multi touch and the keyboard and preware im a kid who is into homebrew and that stuff also. i was wondering where would you suggest buying a pre for a cheap price off contract, just the pre. i dont mind if its used but i dont want like a huge crack or anything like that. ive tried craiglist and their like $300 but that might be too much. Any trusted sites?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I don't think $300 is too much. That's only double what is when you start a new contract or upgrade. Remember: you're buying it without a contract.
    make sure you can use it without a service plan before you buy it for nothing !!!!!!!
    check out this thread!!!! http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-use-pre.html
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    sounds like maybe you would do best with the non-existent (hopefully future) "Pre-Touch product. Basically a Pre/Pixi but with only Wifi instead of (only) cellular.

Assuming you want to get cell voice/data service too, WireFly has a deal:
    http://www.wirefly.com/template/simp...FQtN5QodKRBgag
    ... with a new Pre for $99. (I haven't read through the details yet.) I think we can do a referral where you and I both get a gift for doing this too. (PM me if you want to try the referral.)

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    i think he just wants a pda with no cell phone service
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    i mean i dont have the money( right now) to afford a cell phone but i was hoping that if i needed to i could just activate it when necessary.i want to use it as a wifi device and mp3 player until i get a job to pay for a bill. but i didnt know that you couldnt use it without sprint service. Are you saying that if i were to buy the phone off contract from srpint i would just have to activate it to use it?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    no he wants the phone only not the service !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by its that nerd View Post
    well, im a teenager and i love the palm pre i like multi touch and the keyboard and preware im a kid who is into homebrew and that stuff also. i was wondering where would you suggest buying a pre for a cheap price off contract, just the pre. i dont mind if its used but i dont want like a huge crack or anything like that. ive tried craiglist and their like $300 but that might be too much. Any trusted sites?
    the price you would pay for a pre off contract is insane, and for your purposes you would only get an 8gb mp3 player. I would get the iPod touch if I were you, it would serve your purposes and would hold more music for less money. When you're ready for a contract, webOS welcomes you!
    he want s to add service later when he can afford it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    The $325 +/- range is the going price for an off contract Pre....Craig's List or eBay
    Just to put it very plainly, this is a bad plan.

The Palm Pre is a FANTASTIC smartphone, but really really really really worthless as a PDA only with no service. Chances are, that you have to do a number of really serious hacks just to make it functional, and those hacks would prevent you from ever going back to sprint.
  13.    #13  
    well, at least u explained it to me thanks alot u guys palm pre is still my #1 phone.and pixi might just have to suffice it seems affordable and durable. but before im done, if you buy the phone off contract for $549 i have to activate it? wouldnt that just be like 549 "off then on" contract? i mean u would have to activate it for any use at all.
    well, at least u explained it to me thanks alot u guys palm pre is still my #1 phone.and pixi might just have to suffice it seems affordable and durable. but before im done, if you buy the phone off contract for $549 i have to activate it? wouldnt that just be like 549 "off then on" contract? i mean u would have to activate it for any use at all.

The first time you turn the phone on, you will be prompted to create a Palm user account, or enter an existing account. That is not possible unless you have Sprint service, or you have seriously hacked your phone, and those hacks may not be reversible.

So, yes. If you want to ever be able to use it with sprint, you must activate it. You can pay full retail and do it without a contract so you can cancel after a month, but you're not saving any money. It would be cheaper to sign up for a contract and then pay the cancelation fee. (although not much cheaper)
  15.    #15  
    well, that was informative. thanks alot i think thats kinda weird but its made to be a phone so..whatever works i guess..again thanks alot
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Again, there are likely a large amount of folks out there like the OP and myself who either cannot (due to cost, reception issues, in the midst of another carrier contract etc) switch to Sprint to get a WebOS device. Then on top of that you have those who do not WANT a sizable monthy service charge around their neck for the next 24 months in these trying economic times. Finally, you have users outside the US (or even a Sprint service area) and/or prospective developers & hobbyists who might want to dip a toe into the WebOS waters but have no means to do so...and let's face it, an emulator will never be the same as a "real" device.

All of these are reasons why Palm should have introduced a bare-bones "Pre Touch" device earlier this year. The WebOS telephony stack wasn't quite finished in time for CES...no big deal for a PDA/PMP device. The $150-$199 pricepoint would have been a perfect way to jumpstart user & developer interest in WebOS, even before the arrival of the SDK. How ironic that the company that basically brought the PDA to the masses is left in the dust with their pants down now in regards to a simple unconnected device.

Apple sells iPod Touches by the truckload and are going to end up with a very strong gaming platform as a result of simply neutering their smartphone hardware. Archos sees the potential of an Android-powered non phone device. Creative are savvy enough to bundle "market ready" Zii Plasma hardware with the SDK for a very attractive price. It's quite sad to watch Palm obsessively trying to be a hip handset manufacturer and leaving all their historical legacy & core competencies (strong PIM features included) behind. Rubinstein & co should not be so arrogant to assume that EVERYONE wants a converged device with a $100 monthy service charge from a single lame-duck domestic carrier .

Greed is indeed a terrible thing.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Bought my Pre at full retail price since I upgraded to an instinct last December (shut up don't make fun of me) and won't have my upgrade till this one coming up. Completely worth the 550 for me...but then again I use it completely not just the PDA part. So...nah proly not worth it for u.
    I pretty much did what you are planning to do. For one, if you're planning to use it without a service you'd probably be better off with something like a touch since it will do everything a pre will while having a bit better battery life. (Yeah yeah... I said apple, lets start a flame war... ugh) I could care less about the damn device. They all do the same thing, the problem is these damn plans. It's insane... literally all of them not just Sprint. Anyway, I'd jump on board if I could afford it. (It would be an unnecessary strain for me going from $30 to $70+) I'd just suck it up and stick to what you have now.

Edit: Oh yeah... ****ty to no reception too like say in my friggin room and house.
    Retailer in the UK are taking Pre pre-orders for unlocked version. Wait for that I guess....
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    I pretty much did what you are planning to do. For one, if you're planning to use it without a service you'd probably be better off with something like a touch since it will do everything a pre will while having a bit better battery life. (Yeah yeah... I said apple, lets start a flame war... ugh) I could care less about the damn device. They all do the same thing, the problem is these damn plans. It's insane... literally all of them not just Sprint. Anyway, I'd jump on board if I could afford it. (It would be an unnecessary strain for me going from $30 to $70+) I'd just suck it up and stick to what you have now.

Edit: Oh yeah... ****ty to no reception too like say in my friggin room and house.
    70 bucks is great compared to what you would have to pay with everyone else for the feature set we get though. i'm really satisfied for what we get. At least it's not like owning an iPhone, right? :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast