Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Came across this article today on augmented reality (www{dot}internetnews{dot}com{slash}mobility{slash}article.php{slash}3839691") and was wondering if this was possible on the Pre without a direction sensor (compass). It would be nice to create an info overlay on live images like that or this concept of a sixth sense (www{dot}ted{dot}com{slash}talks{slash}pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html) on TED.

    (Apologies for the weird format. Still can't post URLs.)
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    Came across this article today on augmented reality (www{dot}internetnews{dot}com{slash}mobility{slash}article.php{slash}3839691") and was wondering if this was possible on the Pre without a direction sensor (compass). It would be nice to create an info overlay on live images like that or this concept of a sixth sense (www{dot}ted{dot}com{slash}talks{slash}pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html) on TED.

    (Apologies for the weird format. Still can't post URLs.)
    It's possible. Just a developer has to make an app for it. I have the Android phone alongside the Pre and the augmented reality apps for the android are really sharp. The iPhone will be getting it's own AR apps soon as well.
  3.    #3  
    Who developed the app for the Android? Is it portable to WebOS/Linux (WebOS/GNU/Linux? ), I wonder.

    Without an internal compass, the only way I can think of for augmented reality to work on the Pre is using a combination of GPS and image recognition.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    It's possible. Just a developer has to make an app for it. I have the Android phone alongside the Pre and the augmented reality apps for the android are really sharp. The iPhone will be getting it's own AR apps soon as well.
    Pre does not have compass (magnetometer) so no.
  5. #5  
    We're certainly at a disadvantage without a compass but certain applications would still be possible.
  6. #6  
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dswissmiss View Post
    We're certainly at a disadvantage without a compass but certain applications would still be possible.
    They'd be very poor, without a digital compass to provide orientation, you'd need very rapid tracking and updating of directional information at a very small margin of error.
  8. #8  
    Furthermore, the Pre or later variants are unlikely to have a magnetometer. The Touchstone back has four, very powerful magnets that would mess up any compass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  9. #9  
    I've seen the Yelp app on the iPhone and it's not that impressive. Don't be jealous.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    I've seen the Yelp app on the iPhone and it's not that impressive. Don't be jealous.
    Oh well - best to pack it all in.
  11.    #11  
    Ah well, there's still image recognition...
  12. #12  
    Without a compass it would be very difficult. Everybody was saying how a compess was so useless in a phone. Guess not.
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Without a compass it would be very difficult. Everybody was saying how a compess was so useless in a phone. Guess not.
    I didn't get it at first, I thought "what sort of worthless gimmick is that"? I'll be amazed if you can buy a high end smartphone without a digital compass without two years - the app potential is significant.
  14. #14  
    I still think its a useless gimmick. lol. I see no real use for it other than its cool that a phone can do that nowdays.
  15. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I still think its a useless gimmick. lol. I see no real use for it other than its cool that a phone can do that nowdays.
    Virtual tour guides, find tube stations, more accurate directions in conjunction with GPS, find each other (allowing for real time first-person shooters), treasure hunts.. The technology is new, the applications are endless...
    Last edited by CGK; 09/18/2009 at 04:47 PM.
  16. #16  
    those are gimmicks. Like look my phone is a virtual tour guide. You will never actually use it or maybe once in your phones life. Find a tube station? I've never had a problem finding a subway station before but maybe its harder in other countries. Also i dont understand how pointing your phone at somehting and it saying this is a subway station is better than just looking at the subway station yourself? And if it says something is a mile that way then i would think google maps is the better app cause it will tell you how to get there insted of saying its 2 miles straight this way though everything.
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    those are gimmicks. Like look my phone is a virtual tour guide. You will never actually use it or maybe once in your phones life. Find a tube station? I've never had a problem finding a subway station before but maybe its harder in other countries. Also i dont understand how pointing your phone at somehting and it saying this is a subway station is better than just looking at the subway station yourself? And if it says something is a mile that way then i would think google maps is the better app cause it will tell you how to get there insted of saying its 2 miles straight this way though everything.

    Then close your eyes and it will all go away.
  18. T3CK's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dswissmiss View Post
    We're certainly at a disadvantage without a compass but certain applications would still be possible.
    You can easily make the use of the GPS, as compass (if you are in motion).
    The phone can pick your actual moving direction and display the north, even if you walk at very slow pace...
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  19. #19  
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  20. corpx's Avatar
    Posts
    209 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #20  
    Sucks that the Pre does not have a compass :/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions