Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Before I get slammed for the title, I would just like to say that I am not a gamer. I have some games for the Palm Pre but do I ever use them? Rarely. So when yesterday's wave of new apps came, I was very disappointed. More than HALF were games and the others were just something I already had or a duplicate (gDial Pro versus P2GoogleVoice)

So with that said, are there going to be any headlining apps coming to the Palm? The most recent for me was gDial Pro. I'm excited about the Facebook app coming along but on top of those two, there hasn't been anything that really interested me. Here's a list of apps I have (official and homebrew):

1. Tweed
    2. Express Stocks
    3. Accuweather
    4. Flight View
    5. Pack 'n' Track
    6. Feeds
    7. Evernote
    8. Yelp
    9. OpenTable
    10. Mileage Monitor

They are in no particular order and I probably didn't list them all. But as you can see, I tend to go for apps that make my life a little easier. Apps I am desperately looking for are:

1. An RSS reader that syncs with Google Reader AND has the ability to post out on Facebook and Twitter or even text.
    2. More Twitter app selections. I read an article one time about how Palm stated that there were over 40 twitter apps for the Palm Pre in the works (???).
    3. A better mp3/music app. I really can't imagine using my phone as an mp3 player at the gym (i'd be dealthly afraid I'd drop it), but seriously...the current music app for the Pre sucks. I saw the beta version of the N***player or whatever it's call and that rocked but Palm rejected it.

This is the first Palm I've ever owned. I heard that the original Palm OS had a LOT of productivity apps and I hope that the Palm Pre will get there one day. And I know people keep saying this but I do hope that the 1.2 OS upgrade comes soon. I'm specifically looking for these updates:

1. Calendar timezone fix (my facebook events are 3 hours off!)
    2. Better copy and paste (surprisingly, I do this a LOT)
    3. Text fowarding
    4. Ability to customize the "predictive typing" (1.2 is not going to have this)
    5. Ability to customize sounds (1.2 is not going to have this)
    6. The screen to NOT come on every time a notification comes up. Urgh! I resented Palm for putting this in there and not have the ability to turn that feature off. Apparently, the iPhone does this as well.
    7. Ability to invite attendees to meetings via the Pre Calendar. Um...u wanna compete against the Blackberry right? Well, this is prob one of the simplest features but also has the most impact when people say "is it a business phone?"

Anyway, I really hope that Palm doesn't forget the "Life Hackers" out there - the people that want to simplify their lives with apps that can sync through multiple avenues (like Evernote).

I have the T-Mobile MyTouch as my second phone. I know, it's ridiculous to have a second personal phone but it has the apps that I want but the hardware right now sucks. I am heavily considering the HTC Hero when it releases and using that as my secondary phone on top of the Pre.

I think the key word here also is "Customization". If they think with that in mind, I think we would already have the sound customization features, etc etc. As much as I love the homebrew community, I don't want the Pre to be another iPhone where we have to break into it in order to get the good (simple) features.
    Last edited by chiliu78; 09/18/2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Before I get slammed for the title, I would just like to say that I am not a gamer. I have some games for the Palm Pre but do I ever use them? Rarely.

So with that said, are there going to be any headlining apps coming to the Palm? The most recent for me was gDial Pro. I'm excited about the Facebook app coming along but on top of those two, there hasn't been anything that really interested me. Here's a list of apps I have (official and homebrew):

1. Tweed
    2. Express Stocks
    3. Accuweather
    4. Flight View
    5. Pack 'n' Track
    6. Feeds
    7. Evernote
    8. Yelp
    9. OpenTable

They are in no particular order and I probably didn't list them all. But as you can see, I tend to go for apps that make my life a little easier. Apps I am desperately looking for are:

1. An RSS reader that syncs with Google Reader AND has the ability to post out on Facebook and Twitter or even text.
    2. More Twitter app selections. I read an article one time about how Palm stated that there were over 40 twitter apps for the Palm Pre in the works (???).
    3. A better mp3/music app. I really can't imagine using my phone as an mp3 player at the gym (i'd be dealthly afraid I'd drop it), but seriously...the current music app for the Pre sucks. I saw the beta version of the N***player or whatever it's call and that rocked but Palm rejected it.

This is the first Palm I've ever owned. I heard that the original Palm OS had a LOT of productivity apps and I hope that the Palm Pre will get there one day. And I know people keep saying this but I do hope that the 1.2 OS upgrade comes soon. I'm specifically looking for these updates:

1. Calendar timezone fix (my facebook events are 3 hours off!)
    2. Better copy and paste (surprisingly, I do this a LOT)
    3. Text fowarding
    4. Ability to customize the "predictive typing" (1.2 is not going to have this)
    5. Ability to customize sounds (1.2 is not going to have this)
    6. The screen to NOT come on every time a notification comes up. Urgh! I resented Palm for putting this in there and not have the ability to turn that feature off. Apparently, the iPhone does this as well.
    7. Ability to invite attendees to meetings via the Pre Calendar. Um...u wanna compete against the Blackberry right? Well, this is prob one of the simplest features but also has the most impact when people say "is it a business phone?"

Anyway, I really hope that Palm doesn't forget the "Life Hackers" out there - the people that want to simplify their lives with apps that can sync through multiple avenues (like Evernote).

I have the T-Mobile MyTouch as my second phone. I know, it's ridiculous to have a second personal phone but it has the apps that I want but the hardware right now sucks. I am heavily considering the HTC Hero when it releases and using that as my secondary phone on top of the Pre.

I think the key word here also is "Customization". If they think with that in mind, I think we would already have the sound customization features, etc etc. As much as I love the homebrew community, I don't want the Pre to be another iPhone where we have to break into it in order to get the good (simple) features.
    Won't slam u here.... I was excited when I saw all those apps hitting yesterday, but then reality set back in when I saw what BS we got.
    This is an expensive so-called "smartphone". Hmm.. How come there's no notification nag, no onscreen keyboard so you could type while in landscape and no file management or customization??!!!
    Why should I have to develop my own stuff or depend on homebrew if I paid PALM?
    I know, "beating a dead horse".
    Well so far, nothing changed.
    Basics should have been here out the box, when we paid for it.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 09/18/2009 at 09:34 AM.
    I agree with both of you. I give palm credit thus far, but I don't see anything revolutionary coming anytime soon. I think webos rocks and will be a big contender but there has to be strong apps. I really wish palm would implement widgets. A beautiful screen that can't be utilized.

The hero is going to be my primary phone with the pre as a tinker phone. Its gonna take time for webos to really shine. I think the 2nd generation will be unbelievable. Lots of potential in webos, but this fued with apple is getting old. I think business users are going to lean towards the touch pro 2 and the hero.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Patience is a virtue. Based on all the recent chatter looks like the app catalog should be up and running very soon, quite possibly by next friday. Once these dev's can start charging you will see lots of app's both useful and useless I imagine. In the meantime any update is a good update.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I agree with both of you. I give palm credit thus far, but I don't see anything revolutionary coming anytime soon. I think webos rocks and will be a big contender but there has to be strong apps. I really wish palm would implement widgets. A beautiful screen that can't be utilized.

The hero is going to be my primary phone with the pre as a tinker phone. Its gonna take time for webos to really shine. I think the 2nd generation will be unbelievable. Lots of potential in webos, but this fued with apple is getting old. I think business users are going to lean towards the touch pro 2 and the hero.
    I agree with you on widgets and I was hoping the Motorola Cliq was coming to sprint, but I may jump over to the HERO... not sure, I just love the gesture area and the multitasking with the card's now I can't see using a phone any other way... I'm on the fence leaning towards Palm and the Pre right now!
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre is not a business phone. Simple as that. Go with Blackberry or Windows Mobile if that's what you need.

Also, this was a "me me me" post. That may be what YOU want, but the majority of Palm Pre owners wanted more game applications.

WebOS is the freshest/newest operating system out there. Relax and enjoy the phone for what it is. If you have a problem with that, sell your Pre and get something else.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I agree with you also. I do love the Pre and will not get the Hero, i'm going to stick it out. I to am looking for more life/buisness type apps and I am getting a little anxiuos about not having many. I'm hoping it won't be much longer; I think we'll see more function with apps soon. So, like I said, I am stayng with the Pre for the simple fact it is a GREAT OS, and will soon do all I need it to, I just need to keep being patient. I hope you get what you are needing in a phone soon. Good luck.

I disagree about it not being a buisness phone, that's why it syncs with exchange. It's a Palm, that's what they do. It's not up to par yet...it will be.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
    The Palm Pre is not a business phone. Simple as that. Go with Blackberry or Windows Mobile if that's what you need.

Also, this was a "me me me" post. That may be what YOU want, but the majority of Palm Pre owners wanted more game applications.

WebOS is the freshest/newest operating system out there. Relax and enjoy the phone for what it is. If you have a problem with that, sell your Pre and get something else.
    You don't know what most Pre owners want any more than I do, so quit speaking for everyone.
    Wow...first people complain about palm not pushing out any apps...and then they finally start bringing them out, and people still complain...i really don't care what types of apps are coming out, as long as they keep coming.......look at the Samsung Instinct. How many "official" apps are out for it???...even though they were promised before launch of the phone, which enticed a lot of people to even buy the phone in the fist place.
    I definitely agree with the poster who said that we'll see more apps once the store is opened up to accept payments. I think there are a lot of developers that won't give us free apps when they can wait a little while and get paid for them. Also, from what I remember reading a while back, the process to port iphone apps to the pre isn't too hard for the developers...so why would someone who's getting paid for their iphone version want to give us a free Pre version? (I could be remembering wrong on that iphone ---> pre porting)
    Same disappointment here!

And just for kicks I tried to download the game DeadMan and was informed I don't have enough memory!
    I have no plans to delete Homebrew apps I frequently use to make space for "boring new apps"
    And you're right, customization is key!! Need it! Want it! Now please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    Wow...first people complain about palm not pushing out any apps...and then they finally start bringing them out, and people still complain...i really don't care what types of apps are coming out, as long as they keep coming.......look at the Samsung Instinct. How many "official" apps are out for it???...even though they were promised before launch of the phone, which enticed a lot of people to even buy the phone in the fist place.
    We're complaining, because most of these apps look like something some 10 yr old kid designed. THEY ARE USELESS !!
    yea like i need another caculator app!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    You don't know what most Pre owners want any more than I do, so quit speaking for everyone.
    That's probably true, but I think this does make an interesting point. Whenever I see these "Palm flame" threads, the poster's most-important-must-have-right-now features are inevitably *different* than the previous must-have-right-now thread 8^). The gamers want games, the business folks want productivity, more Twitter/Facebook apps, etc, etc ....

So, it says to me that the Pre actually appeals to a wide variety of folks and I don't see where Palm is going after any specific market (they totally dodged all such questions in the earnings conference call and the Engadget interview). Palm and the app developers are actually cranking out stuff at a pretty impressive clip IMHO. If there's some feature that you just absolutely can't wait for, then there's certainly other phones to chose from. But I suspect a little patience will go a long way with the Pre ... it's still early in the game and they're just getting started.
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    yea like i need another caculator app!
    what do you mean? we'll never make it out of a restaurant situation without embarrassing ourselves unless we have 13 tip calculators at our disposal... joking... but i am also a bit bummed by what is being offered right now, i mean really 3 or 4 pic hunt games? i do agree with others though that the good stuff is in waiting for payment process to come into play, so i'm very optimistic for the end of this month.
    Why don't you just stick with the homebrew apps? You listed the mp3 player as a let down which I agree but the Music(remix) from Homebrew is leaps and bounds better than the stock player. It's probably worth mentioning that devs are waiting for the app catalog to get out of beta so that they can make money for their efforts.

And for the one that said the PRe is not a business phone, I completely disagree. I use mine with two Outlook Exchange accounts and two private email accounts. Meetings, contacts etc are all sync'd to my Pre w/o any problems whatsoever. My Pre rocks in keeping me on time for meetings and keeping me current with business emails. Not sure what you're looking for but mine rocks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    I agree with you on widgets and I was hoping the Motorola Cliq was coming to sprint, but I may jump over to the HERO... not sure, I just love the gesture area and the multitasking with the card's now I can't see using a phone any other way... I'm on the fence leaning towards Palm and the Pre right now!
    whats up love that background dude put up a link to downkload that wallpaper i would like that very much. if you can and thanks!!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Add me to the disappointed group. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but I'm tired of hearing about its "potential". I just think out of the box it should do a bit more than it currently does. I just keep waiting for it to get better. I hope that when the app store is official and we can buy apps that there will be better games and apps out there. This is strictly a personal opinion, but most of the games suck to me. I'm hoping for something a bit more exciting than Othello and hangman. I appreciate the developers working hard to please us, I just hope there are greater things in the immediate future.
  19.    #19  

I don't really consider myself as narcissist but I guess the "me me me" comment was your opinion.

BTW - I've owned the Blackberry Curve 8330 and 8900 prior to going to the Palm Pre. You're basically telling me to shut up and leave Palm for voicing my concerns about what I would like to see in a phone for people that like to simplify their lives. I'm sure the people that work for Palm would never say "The Palm Pre is not a business phone. Get a Blackberry".
    Last edited by chiliu78; 09/18/2009 at 10:36 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    I'm sure Palm at one point said that it was about the "quality" of apps and not "quantity". Look at where the iPhone is now. There's so many apps, it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I want more apps, yes...but seriously...3 new apps yesterday were games based on comparing pictures. Really? If they are free, why can't they just have all three apps built into one?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast