Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yeah, most of the new apps are pointless games. There's only a handful of apps that I use almost daily ... and the rest I could live without.

Here's the biggest problem for the Pre right now... Answer these two questions:

What can the Pre do that no other phone can do?

What can't be done with the Pre, that almost every other phone can do?

That's the biggest problem right now.
  2.    #22  
    Hopefully with yesterday's earnings call and Palm's ability to beat analyts predictions by having a higher than expected sales figures (analysts lowered expectations and Palm beat them by at least 200K units sold) will boost programmers into developing apps for the Pre.

Ironically, I looked up the sales information for the G1. It released on October 22nd and on April 24th, they announced the 1 million units sold. That's 6 months. If Palm can sell 1 million Palm Pre units by beginning of December 2009, it should be pretty good news for us in comparison to the Android, since there was only one Android phone during that time.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Yeah, most of the new apps are pointless games. There's only a handful of apps that I use almost daily ... and the rest I could live without.

It can multi-task better than Android and Blackberry, I will tell you this.

Um...text forwarding. My god. Simple as that. Give it to us already! ;-P
    yeh just to add my 2cents i rarely play games,only thing i found useful yesterday was the update to photo dialer which is GREAT

other notable good apps are:

NFL (sprint)
    DirectTV (the shiznit)
    weather
    allthe homebrew loaders (use PreWare the most)
    Music player (remix)
    stock program
    sports calander
    all the google stuff im sure when i get a google number lol

still looking for some serious apps to come thru the app catalog still

but i guess its good to see apps are coming in quite often
    The OP speaks the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    It can multi-task better than Android and Blackberry, I will tell you this.

Um...text forwarding. My god. Simple as that. Give it to us already! ;-P
    yeh its mind boggling how Palm could exclude the basic bare essentials of texting like forwarding, or having folders, and able to save messages. I could understand if it was all new but they've already had these features in past phones, why is it so hard to do it in WebOS ?
    Last edited by Jupiter600; 09/18/2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Discussions like this always interest me because what "you" (in general, not specifically) want and think is a priority is different from what others want. Personally I never copy and past or forward texts so I could care less about that. I would like a exceptional Facebook app (though I'm okay with Friends Flow for now) I think the Remix version of the media player is more than adequate for most uses so I'm not sure what the complaint is there.

Was I wowed by what was released yesterday? No, but as long as things continue to steadily be released I can be happy because I know there's more down the pipe.

If you have to have a specific app that the Pre doesn't offer now than by all means you (again not the OP specifically) should get the phone that meets your needs.

PS...cant you text forward under the tweaks?
  8. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Pretty sure the OP's concern #6 about turning off notification while the phone is locked...

...can be controlled by the last option in the Screen & Lock settings app.

xtn
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Pretty sure the OP's concern #6 about turning off notification while the phone is locked...

...can be controlled by the last option in the Screen & Lock settings app.

xtn

Sorry, didn't mean "notifications". I meant how the screen turns on every time someone texts you, etc. I want the screen to just stay off. If you leave the notifications feature on, the screen turns on AND you see the notifications. If you just turn it off, why does the screen have to come on? Don't get that feature.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Discussions like this always interest me because what "you" (in general, not specifically) want and think is a priority is different from what others want. Personally I never copy and past or forward texts so I could care less about that. I would like a exceptional Facebook app (though I'm okay with Friends Flow for now) I think the Remix version of the media player is more than adequate for most uses so I'm not sure what the complaint is there.

Was I wowed by what was released yesterday? No, but as long as things continue to steadily be released I can be happy because I know there's more down the pipe.

If you have to have a specific app that the Pre doesn't offer now than by all means you (again not the OP specifically) should get the phone that meets your needs.

PS...cant you text forward under the tweaks?

Let's put aside the app issue here and look at the simple features and options on the phone itself. This is Palm. They've had other phones and these other/older phones have more features/options than the Pre itself. I'm trying to figure out why Palm would not think "Oh...since we had the feature to forward a text on the Centro and Treo, why not put it in the Pre?".

What concerns me is how Palm is starting to mirror that of Apple and their products. The hardware/software is there, but they slowly release updates to activate them. You don't see this with Blackberry. When they advertise their products, they tell you what it has NOW - not what they will have in 6 months when they decide to turn it on. It's a bogus business model and it only pisses people off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    Wow...first people complain about palm not pushing out any apps...and then they finally start bringing them out, and people still complain...i really don't care what types of apps are coming out, as long as they keep coming.......look at the Samsung Instinct. How many "official" apps are out for it???...even though they were promised before launch of the phone, which enticed a lot of people to even buy the phone in the fist place.
    Thank you for saying this. Rome wasn't built in a day, and the fact they got not one but TWO Google Talk apps, when Apple won't let one through is a good thing. Obviously Palm doesn't look to be that restrictive on what they let through. So it's a matter of developers bringing their apps over.

Also don't expect most developers to bring their apps over until they can start making money on their apps. How many pissed customers do you think a developer would **** off if they give away their app for free on a Pre, but made all the iPhone users pay for it.

I don't get why noone understands simple business here. Why should I as a developer put my work up on a marketplace that doesn't allow me to be compensated for my work?
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post

PERFECT way to put it.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Also don't expect most developers to bring their apps over until they can start making money on their apps. How many pissed customers do you think a developer would **** off if they give away their app for free on a Pre, but made all the iPhone users pay for it.
    It already happens. Look at the app "Pageonce" - which by the way is an amazing app. It's $10 for the Blackberry but free for the iPhone. The iPhone version is better in every way. Go figure.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    My thought is that Palm has a lot of stock in the Pre and more specifically, WebOS. They have a great product, but the lack of software apps is starting to really hurt them. I know we have to be patient, but developing and supporting the software community should be more of a priority than it is now. The lack of "good and useful" apps can be a gmae-changer in the wrong direction soon.
    This is an interesting thread. I did not think about some of the comments when the new apps came out the other day. I'm sure the reason most of the apps in the App Catalog are 'watered down' (meaning the are limited on what they do) is because they are free. I'm confident that the apps will improve in quality once they get the pay stuff situated.

One thing I bought the phone for, and what I can't wait to see more of, is for apps that utilize more than one function of the phone. I installed Send my Location and was blown away. It utilizes the GPS, Texting, Email and Google Maps functions of the phone. Now that is pretty hard hitting in my mind. I do not develope, but think this type of app would be more involved than say some of the games. I do know there are other apps that utilize multiple features of the phone, but this one is at top of my brain since I just installed.

So, I'll sit back, waiting and watching. After I send my location out I may go play Blobber or Topple Ball. LOL
  16.    #36  
    Oh yea...It would be GREAT to see some augmented reality apps. I have 2 for the Android and it is pretty neat. I actually used it recently while traveling and it helped me locate a restaurant that was two blocks away. Yea...I could have used Google Maps but augmented reality really does give you more of a depth when searching for something.
    Before I get slammed for the title,
    I for one won't slam you cause i think you're title is spot on. There just aren't many apps for this phone that i find of interest. Everyone has their own tastes but other the Mobile Remix and Ampache Mobile and like two other homebrew apps the stuff being released just aren't my cup of tea. I'd like to see more in the pandora/Directtv caliber. like apps tide to marque online services. I'm just not impressed by tip calculators, survivor, bibles, and another game based on touching dots. Especially when gameswise, there are Madden 10 mobile games out their. They just need to open the app store cause i get the idea all the best apps are the pay apps and they are waiting for palm to get its act together.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 09/18/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I for one won't slam you cause i think you're title is spot on. There just aren't many apps for this phone that i find of interest. Everyone has their own tastes but other the Mobile Remix and Ampache Mobile and like two other homebrew apps the stuff being released just aren't my cup of tea. I'd like to see more in the pandora/Directtv caliber. like apps tide to marque online services. I'm just not impressed by tip calculators, bibles. They just need to open the app store cause i get the idea all the best apps are the pay apps and they are waiting for palm to get its act together.
    Yes, and how 'bout some functionality for this so-called "smartphone" !!
    I find it weird people are saying the reason the apps we have are watered down because there free. Check out the iphone and android app catalog. There are a ton of awesome apps that are completely free. Opening your app as free will open the door to the developers list of appsthat cost money. Why do you think we got the tetris demo that's 30 seconds long?

If that is what palm is thinking then I guess you better get your wallet out to pay for those expensive apps coming.

There will be more apps to come but I don't think there is gonna be as many quality apps we are waiting for. I think it will be a little bit before we see them. Palms focus is selling phones first until they have a good base of customers...until then we are gonna be left waiting. I really hope the current app store does not reflect the future. Not complaining but just stating the obvious.
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 09/18/2009 at 01:26 PM.
    ... More than HALF were games and the others were just something I already had or a duplicate (gDial Pro versus P2GoogleVoice)

They are in no particular order and I probably didn't list them all. But as you can see, I tend to go for apps that make my life a little easier. Apps I am desperately looking for are:

2. More Twitter app selections. I read an article one time about how Palm stated that there were over 40 twitter apps for the Palm Pre in the works (???).
    So you're pissed that there are apps that duplicate functionality, but you want 40 friggin twitter apps? It's twitter. It's a site built around posting 140 character, useless messages. How much functionality do you need?

6. The screen to NOT come on every time a notification comes up. Urgh! I resented Palm for putting this in there and not have the ability to turn that feature off. Apparently, the iPhone does this as well.
    Does the "Show When Locked" notifications preference not work? I'm not being a smartass as I've never tried it, but it seems like that would fix your problem, right?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast