1.    #1  
    Hello
    Searched but no similar thread found.

I have contacts in exchange, and contacts in Palm profile; some repeat obviously (although not sure if that should be). So when in the phone dialer, and I tap the addressbook icon, I get numbers repeated for my wife, for ex, from the 2 profiles.

Should I just have the exchange contacts, and that's it? But then it won't get backed up by palm BACKUP nightly. Right?

What are others doing?
    In the phone dialer phonebook, can I control which profile the numbers come from? Or by default it grabs all contacts from all profiles?

Thanks,
    N
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Unless I am mistaken, All of your contacts can be backed up to your Palm profile even if you do not use the profile in your contacts. I have the same problem so I just use my exchange contacts.
    @csquare: you are indeed mistaken. The only contacts that get backed up nightly are the ones in your Palm profile, as these are the only contacts that are stored on your phone only.

@NABRIL15: you don't need to worry about exchange contacts not being backed up. They are backed up by your Exchange server! In fact, this is superior to the nightly back up by the Palm profile. But I wouldn't worry about having contacts in both places. If you have a duplicate, just link them. If you don't know how to do that, let us know, and we'll provide a few pointers. You can also just as easily unlink profiles. This is the power of Synergy--smooth presentation of information.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks for the clearification jbg!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    @csquare: you are indeed mistaken. The only contacts that get backed up nightly are the ones in your Palm profile, as these are the only contacts that are stored on your phone only.

@NABRIL15: you don't need to worry about exchange contacts not being backed up. They are backed up by your Exchange server! In fact, this is superior to the nightly back up by the Palm profile. But I wouldn't worry about having contacts in both places. If you have a duplicate, just link them. If you don't know how to do that, let us know, and we'll provide a few pointers. You can also just as easily unlink profiles. This is the power of Synergy--smooth presentation of information.
    jbg--thank you very much.
    It looks like me exchange and palm profiles ARE linked, so that's good. However, in the dialer pad's contacts list, all the numbers appear twice. So, for ex, my wife's numbers (and any contacts that are in both profiles) appear twice (2 office, 2 cell).

My particular dilemna is: not all my contacts are in my exchange account. My plam profile contains the people I call often--friends, etc. These aren't all in my exchange account. So is it a matter of putting whomever i want as a contact in either palm or exchange and be done with it? Or, is there a way to have both of those, and cleanup the contacts that appear in the dialer?
    I had a similar issue as you, Nabril. What I did was import my contacts from both into Google and set that up as my default contacts account. Now all my contacts are sync'd with Google only. Or you could just put all of your Palm contacts into Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    jbg--thank you very much.
    It looks like me exchange and palm profiles ARE linked, so that's good. However, in the dialer pad's contacts list, all the numbers appear twice. So, for ex, my wife's numbers (and any contacts that are in both profiles) appear twice (2 office, 2 cell).

My particular dilemna is: not all my contacts are in my exchange account. My plam profile contains the people I call often--friends, etc. These aren't all in my exchange account. So is it a matter of putting whomever i want as a contact in either palm or exchange and be done with it? Or, is there a way to have both of those, and cleanup the contacts that appear in the dialer?
    Alright, let's try this. Go to your contacts app. Type in the first few letters of your wife's name. Do you have two listings for her there? If so, they are not linked. Tap whichever one you would like to be primary (either Palm or Exchange). After the contact opens, tap the name at the top. You should see a list pull down, and at the bottom of it you'll see "Link more profiles..." Tap that, find the other contact for your wife, and life should be good.

My dad exists in 6 different profiles on my phone. I have his phone numbers in Exchange and redundantly in facebook. The numbers are not repeated for me when I find him in the dialer app.

I hope this helps.

Regarding not having some contacts in Exchange, this is fine. Having them in both places should be fine if you link them (and the Pre usually does it automatically for you) as I explained above. I personally trust my corporate Exchange server more than Palm's profile backup, so I like to have them there. The nice thing about having contacts in Google or Exchange is that you can get to them from your computer. Can't do that with contacts stored only in your phone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer