Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Within less than a month, my two-year contract with AT&T will be expiring, and I'm looking forward to going back to Sprint (my family has had Sprint for a while, but I was in an area with poor Sprint reception for a while, so I switched to AT&T). My preferred phone to buy is, of course, the Palm Pre. I've been pretty excited about it since I've heard about it -- and that's something for me, since I've been skeptical about many other new phone attempts (I've only recently warmed up to the HTC Hero, but still, I think I like the idea of the Pre better...and the Hero seems too "new"). While I'm glad that I have had time to see some of the bumps and bugs (I am not much of an early adopter), I feel that the Pre still shines despite some of the criticism I've read about it.

...As background, the phone I am coming from is the AT&T Tilt/HTC Kaiser. I am familiar with unmet expectations (HTC graphics acceleration drivers...)

What I'm wondering is: what kinds of things should I do in preparation of purchasing a Pre?

For example, because I am aware of the battery life issues, I am looking towards purchasing an extended battery (maybe the seidio 2600 mAh?) I am not worried about the size increase for the phone, because my old phone (the HTC Kaiser) is also a hefty phone and so size is a non-issue.

What are other things I might want to do to "mitigate" the early criticisms about the phone? I think I've covered battery life by looking at investing in a better battery. I've looked up past threads on preventing Gmail contact trash by only pulling from "My Contacts" instead of all contacts, and so within a couple of weeks, I'll decide on which workaround I want to go with and begin that process. I am not worried about Facebook friend clutter (I try to keep my FB friends trimmed). And when the time comes, I plan on reading up on homebrew, so that the dearth of apps won't be a problem.

Are there any other things you'd say to a prospective Pre purchaser?

I apologize for being green. I didn't figure that there would be any reasonable query to find other topics of this nature, so in creating this topic, I am taking a gambit that 1) it is in the right place and 2) it hasn't been done too many times before.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by subversiveasset; 09/25/2009 at 01:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    I apologize for being green.
    First of all, I chuckled at that bit. You've clearly done your homework a lot better than most folks. I have a few thoughts, and I'm sure others will as well.

• Don't buy that battery yet. Use the phone for a week first. Your battery will improve with a little use, and you may find you don't need one that big, and a 1350 or 1400 would be enough and still let you use the regular back and/or a touchstone.
    • If you find the battery life still isn't up to scratch, consider chargin options before you make your phone look like a brick by slapping a 3 inch thick battery on the back. (I'm exaggerating of course)
    • Download WebOSDoctor and WebOSQuickInstall so you've got them ready.
    • Don't be afraid of using the WebOSDoctor to reset your phone if you mess things up or install stuff that damages performance and you don't know what was responsible. It only takes 15 mintues, and WebOSQuickInstall is so great these days you can have everything back up and running and half an hour or less.
    • Ignore all the threads about "rooting" your Pre. The current WebOSQuickInstall and PreWare have almost completely eliminated the need for root access to the Pre. The only reason I bothered with ssh after my last WebOSDoctor was because I wanted to install a web server on my Pre so I could track it's location from the internet, and even that is now redundant because of a new app called Cell Stalker.
    • For most people, contact clutter isn't really an issue. If you normally keep your contacts pretty well cleaned up, and have them listed with the same names in all the different sources, the Pre does a pretty darn good job of merging them on the phone without making a mess.
    Make sure you get screen protection, don't want to scratch the pre face lol, get a good holster the pre is pocketable but not a great idea imo . you can buy a usb car charger or direct charger(one has a usb cable the other plugs directly into lighter/phone) I prefer the direct charger because its faster at charging. Find a good media syncing tool for syncing pics and wallpapers, you can use itunes for music , if that's what you like but if you get the right syncing tool you can just keep track of music with that. Your preferance of course. If you can make a back up of all your contacs on a thumbdrive or computer, the pre is still new and so is the backup cloud(lost all my contacts uuhgg). Can't think of anythin else at the moment,lol but it is an awesome phone that I will keep .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    ... since I've been skeptical about many other new phone attempts .... despite some of the criticism I've read about it.
    Give the Pre a try. However, you sound pessimistic. I don't think the Pre is for you...but again, Sprint has a pretty good "test drive" policy and I cold be wrong.
    What I'm wondering is: what kinds of things should I do in preparation of purchasing a Pre?
    Get your contacts in order in gmail, downgrade iTunes if you plan on syncing with it (to a pre-9.0 version).
    I've looked up past threads on preventing Gmail contact trash by only pulling from "My Contacts" instead of all contacts, and so within a couple of weeks, I'll decide on which workaround I want to go with and begin that process. I am not worried about Facebook friend clutter (I try to keep my FB friends trimmed).
    A tight contact list is a throw-back to other/older phones that forced you into doing it. Forget that concept and throw it out the window. If you have even a modest list of contacts, you will be and should be using universal search to look them up rather than scrolling through. Get used to this concept and forget what/how you did it in the Kaiser. Since the concept of Synergy is that your contact will change and alter their information (albeit not in gmail so much), you would be constantly 'chasing' your contacts list. I have removed 'Contacts' from my bottom row of launcher apps as universal search is much more effective.
    You may want to go through it once or twice after synced. I found a few contacts that didn't merge via synergy so I manually linked something like 3 or 4 out of 150 contacts I have...but for all others, synergy worked.
    And when the time comes, I plan on reading up on homebrew, so that the dearth of apps won't be a problem.
    This is where it's at!...I love homebrew... but the App catalog is gaining some momentum. Homebrew is still a good repository. Infact, as I mentioned I removed Contacts and replaced it with a homebrew app called QuickContacts. I have my 9 most called contacts listed. Otherwise I call by universal search look-up of the contact.
    Are there any other things you'd say to a prospective Pre purchaser?
    Since you come-off sounding with someone with high standards, I would kindly tell the Sprint store rep you would like to inspect the phone before accepting it as you 'heard' there are assembly and dead-pixel issues with the Pre sometimes. This will give you a chance to look over the phone for the 'oreo' twist and those dead pixels.
    Other than that, good luck and I hope you can find it in your desire to keep this phone.
    I've had my Pre for just over 10 days and I love it. I was in the same situation and I was also excited to leave AT&T (my reason was related to their pricing... Ugh I hate their separate pricing for each service). Both AT&T and Sprint have excellent coverage here in the Greater Boston, MA area, but Sprint's Everything Plans (I have the Everything Data 450 at the moment, but when my brother is ready to leave his AT&T contract, either by waiting it out, or if we find a loophole to evade the ETF he's gonna join me on an Everything Data Family 1500) are really attractive and affordable. Similar plans on AT&T can literally cost upwards of $200 or more a month.

When it comes to rooting I finally did it because I could not get the latest version of the tethering app, called MyTether, installed with any other means of installation. I'm somewhat of a Linux fan so I like having access to the Linux subsystem on my Pre if I need to.

Homebrew is beautiful. Here's a screenshot of my Pre's Launcher page with mostly homebrew:

I know that doesn't seem like much, as others here can probably show me up and post pages upon pages of homebrew they've accumulated, but those are apps I use almost on a daily basis with the exception of MyTether, but it's a good thing to have. Everything from "DevMode Launcher" on is HomeBrew. Anything before that is either stock, or App Catalog downloaded.

One thing of note in that screenshot is that I, using WebOSQuickInstall, changed the opacity of the overlaying Launcher when it's overlapping my wallpaper there. it's at 49%. I wanted it to be 50%, but w/e. It's fine.

And last but not least for this post, when it comes to syncing there's an app from Mark/Space called Missing Sync for Palm Pre. It's ~$40, but it's well worth it. I primarily use it to convert and optimize video for my Pre, but it can sync most anything else as well.

Anyway, have fun when you get your Pre, and don't hesitate to post here again if you need help with anything Pre related. ^.^
    Last edited by Shiggitay; 09/18/2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Homebrew vs App Catalog
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    • Let the battery die out at least three times
    • Buy a phone cover (Seidio is GREAT)
    • If you use Facebook, prepare to clean up your contacts
    • Wait on the batter. I received my phone two days ago and the battery lasted from 11AM - 1AM
    • Download the latest WebOS
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I hated the crappy battery life of the 1150 OEM mAh battery, so I spent around $90 and got an Amzer 2800 mAh extended battery and I've been happier than ever. I can do more and my battery lasts much longer doing the stuff I do than with the 1150. I have my 1150 still as a backup, but I don't plan on using it often.
    You are getting great advice. The most important thing you are doing to insure a great experience with any new product is to read before you make the plunge.

Below are Tips & Tricks collaborations in a variety of areas. Start with the Pre Tips & Tricks and Battery Life.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    • Let the battery die out at least three times
    • Buy a phone cover (Seidio is GREAT)
    • If you use Facebook, prepare to clean up your contacts
    • Wait on the batter. I received my phone two days ago and the battery lasted from 11AM - 1AM
    • Download the latest WebOS
    Do not let the battery run all the way down. I SAY AGAIN DO NOT LET BATTERY RUN ALL THE WAY DOWN!!!! This is basically a computer with a phone this battery loves to stay charged just like your laptop if you have one . you will kill battery life letting it run all the way down . Search threads if you don't believe , maybe that's why you have bad battery life.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Wow, I was going to post my two cents, but there is about 75 cents more already here! All good advice.

I would go get a screen protector, InvisiShield, right off the bat. I thought I would wait a day or two before getting mine, but that was too long. One scratch! So, first thing should be to protect your investment. Then, have a blast!!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The biggest thing not to do is to critically compare the Pre with other smartphones only because EVERY smartphone has its advantages over the competition. My suggestion to you would be to try (for the first 30 days at least) and see if the Pre is conducive to your needs. As for me, a former iPhone user, I am extremely happy with my Pre; it does everything I need it to do and, due to the nature of my work, PDF accessability is a must! Not only that, but with Sprint's new "Any Mobile Anytime" plan, it makes it very hard to not consider the Pre, especially if you still have friends and family on the AT&T network. So, give it a shot and see what happens. Oh, one other thing, when you get your Pre, tweak it out with the virtual keyboard and homebrew apps!!!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I have a very favorable experience with the extended battery (Seido 2600), however I did spend a week or two with the phone before I realized I couldn't live without it. Also be prepared to spend the extra money and get stock chargers, generic ones seem to have a lot of issues with the phone.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I am in the same position. I will be eligible to come from ATT using a 3g iPhone on October 16th.

All of the above are great pieces of advice for the Pre, but wait until the 11th, and get a chance to play with the Pre a bit and the NEW HTC Hero. The Hero is incredible. I am still leaning towards the Pre as I like the notices and the look and feel a bit more than the Hero, but if you are an uber media person, the Heero seems the best choice. I don't use Facebook, Flickr, or Twitter, but the Hero is made to do it all with a greater consistency in the synergy that Pre mentioned.

The Pre is my leader right now due to the keyboard, cards, and the hardware itself.

You have time, be patient. If you understand technology, time is NEVER on your side. Your contract not ending yet actually gives you an advantage to be even more selective!

Good Luck!
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for all the responses from everyone who has replied so far; I really appreciate it all.

Just a few comments I'd like to make:

I guess some people got the impression that I was overly cynical or pessimistic, and from reading my first post, I guess I did say things to that effect. What I was really trying to go for is to say that my impression of the Pre has outshined my doubts/suspicions (whereas with some other phones...e.g., I could've updated to the HTC Touch Pro or even the Pro 2, which are both "upgrades" to my phone, but I wasn't satisfied with what they brought to the table). So I meant those comments as a good thing, not a bad thing.

Additionally, since I have learned to deal with workarounds, homebrew, etc., (with WinMo and XDA-developers for HTC devices, it's really a staple of the experience), I'm also willing to work through issues that can be fixed/improved.

So, looking through the recommendations...I'll hold off on prematurely getting the new battery but wait until I've gotten the Pre. I'll see how the webOS updates and the Palm Pre battery tips work out. I'll keep in mind getting a screen protector, and also, I'll try to get a testing of the phone at a Sprint store just to be certain (and probably get a testing of the Hero when it's available in stores).
    If you have a best buy nearby, go there and enjoy the instant $100 rebate (not mail-in).
    DOn't spent $ on a screen protector. The phone comes with a thin one, cut the top little tab off, and you are set for now.

I too made the switch recently, and researched the phone to death; I was coming from a Katana 2 which dials and receives calls, so any phone would be an upgrade. The Pre, the Hero? I definitely didnt want to be an iIdiot, so I refuse to get it. Plus their data plan is a lot more $$$. THere are a bunch of apps already out for the Pre. Most are perhaps not useful, but the message is: be patient as people are working on them--the phone has only been out 2 months. Cant wait for the wingman app--calls you to bail you out of a bad date, meeting, etc. The screen clarity is amazing, and the interface really is awesome. Sure, you cant set different sound alerts for diff things (email, IM). So? Set it to vibrate, and look at your phone.

Good phone, $99 plan gets you everything, and plenty of accesories (check out the Touchstone wireless charger..). Who else offers that?
  16.    #16  
    my phone came in...and since they activated it with a temporary sprint plan (will port AT&T number later), I've had about a day now to play around with it.

It's pretty cool, but I think I'm going to have to get a bigger battery. The phone is actually...don't laugh...too thin for me. I'm just too used to the larger AT&T Tilt, so I think it would be good to add some size on the pre.

That being said, size isn't the only reason I'm going to get the bigger battery. While my reception is fine outdoors, in other buildings, etc., in my dorm room, I get terrible reception...so the battery grinds down inside. I charged all night last night, and woke up at 7:40~ this morning. By 9:30, my phone was already down to 75% (with only tweed and mail on IMAP IDLE). I went to work on a project in the library, and when my class started at 11:10, I was only down to 70% though (so better reception = less drain). However, after two classes (that's to 2:30), it was down to 50%. I had a project from 2:30 to 3:00, and by then I was down to 28% or so, and I was afraid I wouldn't make it through the rest of my engagements that day, so I raced back home and put the Pre on the charger and used my Tilt for the rest of the day. it was a let down switching to the older phone, but since I haven't ported the numbers, I really do have to use it for calling/texting for the next week or so.

I guess now I need to figure out all the cool things to do with it, since I think I haven't figured out even 10% of the shortcuts and tricks to do.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Remember that it takes time for the battery to warm up. Can't operate at 100% after a day.
  18.    #18  
    yeah, I'll definitely give a week or so of test, but I really don't have a problem with getting a 2600 maH (or whatever the one is)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfierro View Post
    Remember that it takes time for the battery to warm up. Can't operate at 100% after a day.
    It does get better...but only marginally. Don't expect a miracle battery life boots after the battery has been conditioned a few days.
  20.    #20  
    Wow, I don't know if it was 1.2.0 or 1.2.1, but battery standby time is AMAZING nowadays. So, unless I plan on doing a whole lot more active things during the day, then perhaps I won't need the expanded battery at all!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast