Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I remember back in the year 2000... I had a cell phone that couldn't send text messages (but it could receive them).

Stupid Motorola Startac... I paid good money for that damn thing too.
    I'm thinking that since the Pre syncs so frequently with web calenders, contacts, etc.. that this process is what slows the phone down. It's growing pains for WebOS. Palm needs to streamline it so that it can sync with web but still remain responsive enough for fast input. I'm sure they are working on this. I'm just glad to hear that Palm is putting all of it's efforts into WebOS and not diverting into WinMo, etc. Since they are committed to having all devices with WebOS we know they won't abandon it and will make it their number one priority. Thats comforting.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Battery life relative to device size, functionality and connectivity is fantastic.
    Ummm... You lost me at "battery life".
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    MMS is already on the way out, and SMS will be a thing of the past in a few more years as well I suspect.
    have you lost your g*d d*mn mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yada, yada, yada. How many times are people going to make this bogus comparison. This isn't the first iPhone, and it's not competing against the first iPhone. Compared to it's competition, even the old Palm OS Treos, the Pre is still missing a ton of features. I've listed a couple of dozen things my Treo can do that the Pre can't in other posts, so I'm not going to repeat it here. But trust me, the Pre is lacking things that are found in feature phones that the carriers hand out like candy when you sign a contract.
    Completely agree... The iPhone was a pioneering device. As were the first Blackberry's. Just for different reasons. With an established marketplace full of feature rich "smartphones", today this comparison is foolish at best.

The Pre lacks numerous features that are now considered standard at the upper end of the "smartphone" market place.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 09/22/2009 at 12:56 PM.
    I swear some of these ppl here never owned a PDA of any sort and the reason they are peeing their pants over the pre....can't miss what you never had.
    Last edited by Wendellp; 09/22/2009 at 12:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    I swear some of these ppl here never owned a PDA of any sort and the reason they are peeing their pants over the pre....can't miss what you never had.
    Thats been my stance since the begining.I've had phones since the mid 90's,and moved into palm's and winmo's.So I found the pre very disappointing.People give excuses and argue over it's lacks of (whats considered) basic features,when the fact of the matter is,it's missing features that are 4-5 years old,some features that are older.You cannot give excuses for that.I still dont consider it a smart phone,i consider it an app phone.
    And yes,if i came from an instinct,envy,or a flip phone,then i would be crapping my pants over the pre.I will say again,the ONLY reason mine didnt go back,is because of the hacks the guys here brought us through quilt.

And for the guy that thinks sms is on the way out,you maybe missed all the fuss from the iphone guys over sms,mms.I think many,many people prefer sms over email.I can't see sending an email to say,"on my way",or having my girl upload a pic of her nakedness to flickr,lol
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I agree that Palm has to prioritize. But there are quite a few gregarious examples of wrong priorities with the Pre.
    Gregarious examples?

Code:
    –adjective
    1. 	fond of the company of others; sociable.
    2. 	living in flocks or herds, as animals.
    3. 	Botany. growing in open clusters or colonies; not matted together.
    4. 	pertaining to a flock or crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Gregarious examples?

Code:
    –adjective
    1. 	fond of the company of others; sociable.
    2. 	living in flocks or herds, as animals.
    3. 	Botany. growing in open clusters or colonies; not matted together.
    4. 	pertaining to a flock or crowd.
    Grievous?
    egregious.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    Thats been my stance since the begining.I've had phones since the mid 90's,and moved into palm's and winmo's.So I found the pre very disappointing.People give excuses and argue over it's lacks of (whats considered) basic features,when the fact of the matter is,it's missing features that are 4-5 years old,some features that are older.You cannot give excuses for that.I still dont consider it a smart phone,i consider it an app phone.
    And yes,if i came from an instinct,envy,or a flip phone,then i would be crapping my pants over the pre.I will say again,the ONLY reason mine didnt go back,is because of the hacks the guys here brought us through quilt.

And for the guy that thinks sms is on the way out,you maybe missed all the fuss from the iphone guys over sms,mms.I think many,many people prefer sms over email.I can't see sending an email to say,"on my way",or having my girl upload a pic of her nakedness to flickr,lol
    Yep. They have until 1.2 to really impress me before I abandom the Pre & Sprint all together. Sprint may be cheap, but the reception is terrible - this may be due to their "iPCS Affiliate" company in my area. Even if that's the case, reception was better with my Treo - at least it worked. I was expecting the Pre to have all the functions of my Treo + enhanced improvements. Not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    4. Medical Apps
    Lexi-Comp is on the way, and tech support over at epocrates has said that they are aiming for a release of a native WebOS version this winter. I am excited for those myself.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    That's a great point. If you come from a basic phone the Pre is a miracle. But if you come from PIM/Palms/PDA's then the shortcomings (especially in basic PIM functions) are mindblowing.

These things really are "app phones" because it seems none of the big players really care much about the PIM/Phone side of it all.

Anyway, complain and excuse is pretty much the cycle for this stuff because that's how the internet works I guess. Screw the user and protect the big corporate Teddy Bear from those disloyal customers who dare to complain about products they pay good money for.
    Yep. They have until 1.2 to really impress me before I abandom the Pre & Sprint all together. Sprint may be cheap, but the reception is terrible - this may be due to their "iPCS Affiliate" company in my area. Even if that's the case, reception was better with my Treo - at least it worked. I was expecting the Pre to have all the functions of my Treo + enhanced improvements. Not so much.
    Yeah dude... I'm just south of you in Bloomington... iPCS SUX ROX. iPCS is a lot of our issues here in Illinois.
    Well having watched the treo development over the years, I'm very happy. At least now we get meaningful updates w/o having to wait for the next model of the phone. Treo had things promised that NEVER came.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    have you lost your g*d d*mn mind?
    Not at all.

I realize that we are not there yet. I realize that smart phones are still a minority market share. I realize that until they completely dominate the market, MMS and SMS will stick around.

However, they ARE becomeing more popular, and it may not be long before dumb-phones (for lack of a better term) are a thing of the past.

What then?

What good is an SMS when you can just use your favorite IM, and the recipient get's the message just as fast?

What use is MMS when you can email and the recipient get's it just as fast, but has the option of viewing it on their phone OR on their desktop instead of one or the other.

Realistically, at the rate communication protocols have evolved, it may not be more than a few decades before we all have a single internet ID and it's the only thing that we use for everything, including phone calls.
    LOL,we probably wont be around in a few decades.And I doubt those that are will be emailing anything.
    LOL,we probably wont be around in a few decades.And I doubt those that are will be emailing anything.
    You're either WAY older than I am, or WAY too pessimistic. I sure as hell plan on being around in a few decades. I've been carrying a cell phone for a decade now, and my first phone (Nokia 5700) bore almost no resemblance to anything that anybody would carry as a phone these days.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12