Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Well my early Pre (perfect until now) has just had a volume button failure. I can still set the volume from the 'Sounds & Ringtones' menu so I can live with it for a few days.

Talked to Palm (hey, it's a hardware issue) and they were able to confirm that I do have a problem and I can get an advance replacement for $29.99 or get it repaired through sprint for free (but how long - who knows?).

Anyway I need to clean up the phone a little, remove some patches and home brew apps etc before I go to the Sprint retail store (apparently they can't help me over the phone...).

This is my first Sprint phone and my first failure. What should I expect? Will I be without a phone? If so then how long?

I guess the best option would be to pay Palm the advance replacement fee but I have an objection to Palm profiting from the failure of their products...

The phone is more that 30 days old (damn!) and I do have TEP.
    just ask for a loner phone ......could work??!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Good idea. I'll be sure to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    If you have TEP, and the phone obviously wasn't damaged by you, you can probably walk into a sprint store and walk out with a replacement, especially if this is your first service and you're nice to the people in the store.
    I have no TEP, and they ordered me a new one, came in 1 day. I got to use my old one, which worked but no touchscreen
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Well my early Pre (perfect until now) has just had a volume button failure. I can still set the volume from the 'Sounds & Ringtones' menu so I can live with it for a few days.

Talked to Palm (hey, it's a hardware issue) and they were able to confirm that I do have a problem and I can get an advance replacement for $29.99 or get it repaired through sprint for free (but how long - who knows?).

Anyway I need to clean up the phone a little, remove some patches and home brew apps etc before I go to the Sprint retail store (apparently they can't help me over the phone...).

This is my first Sprint phone and my first failure. What should I expect? Will I be without a phone? If so then how long?

I guess the best option would be to pay Palm the advance replacement fee but I have an objection to Palm profiting from the failure of their products...

Wow, same issue here. Volume up button stopped working. However, I took my Pre to a local Sprint repair store today and they said it was hardware issue and would fall under the Palm 1 year warranty at NO COST to me..... Repair rep placed the order and said I should have the new phone tomorrow, no later then Monday....

There was no mention to me of a $29.99 fee and no mention of repair, I was just told it would be REPLACED since under Palm warranty and at no cost to me.....

Dunno, maybe i just got lucky. I will know more tomorrow or Monday when then phone comes in...but again there was no mention of any type fee.

Whole procedure took about 15-20 min. Walked in, explained the situation, rep took a look at it and said, "yes it is a hardware failure, we will order you a new phone at no cost to you; it should be here tomorrow at the earliest and Monday at the latest". I was like..... ok....... WOW that was easy.....
    No, just go to the Sprint repair center. If they can't repair it, they'll order a replacement. My replacement phone was in the day after.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I just took my phone in to sprint because my speakerphone apeaker blew. They ordered a replacement, will be here in 2 days.
    No need for tep. The warranty will cover all issues except for damage.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like this will (hopefully) be like the rest of my Sprint experience - pleasant and hassle-free.

To clarify, Palm wanted $29.95 for an advance replacement - they send a new phone and then I send back the broken one. They were quite up-front that Sprint would arrange for a free repair but thought it may take a week or so.

Hopefully I have the same experience that many of you had and aren't without my phone at all - especially as if there need a day to two to get a new one I can use my current one (the fault is annoying but not fatal).
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    No such things repairs, usually take from 1 to 3 hours no one will die with out there phone for a few hours.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    there is NO such thing as a $29.99 fee in a corporate store(check sprint.com) ,yes the volume button sometimes fail,and it falls in to the 1 year warranty even if u don't have TEP.

if they don't have a phone to replace in the store they will order you one!

you have to leave your phone for repair usually it takes 1 hour + depends

there is not suck thing as a loner phone, so don't ask for one.
    Every time I've had to go and get my phones repaired they are quick (as long as there isn't a long line of people).

I've broken a ton of phones because I play hard with them.

When I needed a new Treo 700p it only took a couple days to come in.

P.S. I always have an extra phone in case of such occasions (still have the Treo to re-activate in the meantime if the Pre ever needs repair or replacement)

As far as I know there is no benefit to giving your old phone back and its usually worth more to have around as a backup than to try and sell it.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul View Post
    there is NO such thing as a $29.99 fee in a corporate store(check sprint.com) ,yes the volume button sometimes fail,and it falls in to the 1 year warranty even if u don't have TEP.

if they don't have a phone to replace in the store they will order you one!

you have to leave your phone for repair usually it takes 1 hour + depends

there is not suck thing as a loner phone, so don't ask for one.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear - it was Palm (not Sprint) that wanted to charge a fee for advance exchange. Palm also made it clear that Sprint don't charge a fee to service the phone but you have the hassle of going to a store etc.

I can see the $29.95 being totally worth it if you get lots of money for your time, but I think I'll be down at the local Sprint store (not a service center unfortunately) on saturday sorting it out...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yeah, no need to send the phone and deal through Palm ( though I've heard good reports about doing so), Sprint will simply swap it for another one for you in the store. Much easier and free!
    I went to a corporate stpre/repair center tonight to help my son get his phone fixed ...

His phone had stopped powering on - hangs in the Palm "glowing" screen. We had took it to a different corporate store/repair center yesterday afternoon and they said the battery was bad and ordered him two new batteries, to arrive a WEEK later.

We decided to try the battery out of my phone which was working fine in my phone. His phone would still not power up, same issue. Uh oh, not the battery so we took it back to a different store to get a different opinion. After explaining the situation in detail, the sales rep gave my son another (used) battery to use. It seemed to be working fine so we headed home, but before we got far, it powered off and would not power up, again freezing at the "glowing" screen. Headed back to the Sprint Store.

Went back to the sames sales rep and explained plus showed him what had happened. He decided that the phone needed to be looked at by a technician, so we left it and went to eat dinner. Came back in 45 minutes and waited for someone to go check on the phone. A sales person finally "worked us in" and after she got the phone she looked at the comments and told us it could not be replaced because they was a small crack next to the USB port (mine has one of these as well!). She said since there was physical damage to the phone, they could not replace it. I said this was ridiculous, the crack had nothing to do with the power up problem.

I asked to speak with the technician and he repeated the same nonsense. I told him that was ridiculous, the crack had nothing to do with the power up problem. He said that was Sprint's policy and that Sprint was losing $100 everytime they replaced a phone. I asked him "So, my phone has a small crack too, so if anything goes wrong with it during the warranty, you will not replace it?". Yes, that's the policy. I then asked what the warranty covered and he was not sure.

I got the name of the Store manager and will be going to talk to him tomorrow. If that doesn't work, then I will be getting the name of the area manager. Typical Sprint crappy customer service ...

Info:
    Sprint Corporate Store/Repair Center
    Preston Road @ Park Street
    Dallas, Texas

Store Manager: Tobias Williams
    Technician: Wesley Tubbs

gww
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    My experience in the end was very good - I handed them the phone, they worked on it for about 10 minutes and the problems was fixed.

I was a bit dubious but I haven't had any hint of the problem returning so I'm pretty happy.

Reading the responses here over the last few months I'd say what you're experiencing is *DEFINITELY* not Sprint policy. If you don't get satisfaction don't stop - escalate to corporate.

If you don't get any joy there then talk to Palm. They have repaired the crack issue for people before quite willingly.

Sounds like you got some overly officious store manager who has decided that he wants to look better to Sprint corporate by making life hard for you. Make sure Sprint corporate knows both sides.

It costs a lot more than the $100 he's talking about to get a customer. One think I've learned about Sprint is that the do value their customers. After AT&T this is heaven!

Good luck!
    Sorry about the delay. After my previous efforts and reading about the experience with one PC member, I called Palm to ask about the crack. They told me a crack around the bottom push button was covered but not a crack around the USB port. I've never seen the crack they mentioned and I have seen a lot of Palm Pres! I questioned them further about the USB door crack and they responded by saying that any issues as a result of physical abuse (dropped, falled, or thrown, etc.) was not covered by the one year warranty.

I told Palm that the phone had never been dropped and had been in a case since its purchase. She checked with her supervisor and came back that they would replace the phone as long as no physical damage was seen on the phone. I said fine, and arranged for the phone to me shipped to them. Since my son was in no hurry, I just shipped the phone to them, instead of paying $30 for an advance phone replacement (phone sent first, and then you send the damaged phone back). [Now you know how much a phone cost Palm to make since that charge is covering someone who does not return the phone, Palm efforts to get the phone back not withstanding.]

I shipped the phone to Palm on Friday and got it back on the following Wednesday, with no problems. It's clear that Sprint is avoiding their responsibility with warranty replacements by shifting most all of their customers with these problems to Assurion. BTW, the replacement phone received from Palm was indistinquishable from a new phone ... gw