Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a dell xps m1730, and I want to sell it and buy a macbook pro. I have dual SLI 8800 video card, and it just hogs the battery!

I got accepted to UCI, and need something smaller to carry around and with better battery life. I dont game anymore so I dont care about "downgrading" my laptop.

Im looking at the Macbook pro 13, or 15 - I get them pretty cheap with my student discount. I am worried about my pre not behaving properly with a Mac. Will i still be able to use webOS doctor? WebOSInstall? Preware? Palm SDK? Virtual Machine? Sync with itunes(8.2)? Use my pre as a storage device.

Sorry for the novice questions, but i do not know too much about macs yet. I wanted to mac sure my pre will be completely compatible with a ma before I sell my XPS.

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I have a dell xps m1730, and I want to sell it and buy a macbook pro. I have dual SLI 8800 video card, and it just hogs the battery!

I got accepted to UCI, and need something smaller to carry around and with better battery life. I dont game anymore so I dont care about "downgrading" my laptop.

Im looking at the Macbook pro 13, or 15 - I get them pretty cheap with my student discount. I am worried about my pre not behaving properly with a Mac. Will i still be able to use webOS doctor? WebOSInstall? Preware? Palm SDK? Virtual Machine? Sync with itunes(8.2)? Use my pre as a storage device.

Sorry for the novice questions, but i do not know too much about macs yet. I wanted to mac sure my pre will be completely compatible with a ma before I sell my XPS.

thanks!
    U can do all of that and wen the new update comes out hopefully we can sync with itunes 9
    All I can say is bad move.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I'm on a Mac and I use of all those. I would caution you though a lot of Macs including the two I have, have issues with dropping wifi connections, its not a big deal just an inconvenience having to turn off wifi and turn it on. I recommend you Google the issue there are quite a bit of post about it, and tech support doesn't really have a solution. Its a good computer, just some of them are having problems. But again, no issues with Preware, WebOSInstall etc.
    Good move! Got rid of my Dell for a Macbook and love it! It works great with my pre. I have not tried synching w/itunes yet but everything else works. I have just been dragging and dropping the songs/albumns I want onto the pre. And I have never had a problem w/ dropping wifi.
    Also on a Mac, and have no problems. I'm able to root and use PreWare and the rest of them as well. I was worried about the Pre at first as well, but its actually been no issues at all. I don't use Itunes to sync with the Pre. I still move MP3's and movies over just fine without Itunes.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    yep, ive done all that...you can root and ssh directly from the terminal also, and it has an ampache server built in...also, no installing drivers and such for anything...works excellent!

also,in case you didnt know, ical syncs with gcal and back automatically(although you can only do one calendar at a time) so all of your stuff will sync with the pre..

you won't look back...
    I'm not a huge mac fan personally, however I will say that the macbook pro is the one item in the mac line up that really is fairly priced.

The macbook supports USB mass storage, novacom, and java. Those are the only things you "need" to take full advantage of a Palm Pre.

Music sync is nice, but technologically redundant since you can simply mount the Pre as a USB mass storage device and copy your music there manually. And, as folks have already pointed out, some versions of itunes and WebOS do play nice, and Palm seems to be working hard to keep it working as best as they can.
    Switched to a macbook last year after being a longtime windows user and no problems with the pre. Has anyone upgraded to the new Snow Leopard operating system and if so, how does it work with the pre?

As an aside, was easy to set up a wireless network on the mac for internet and printing and also easy to access windows programs via installing vmware.
    I have 3 Dell's at home, one mobile.

Mac book Pro and Mac Pro.

Definitely a very good move.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'm rocking a macbook pro 17 unibody (LOVE IT)... no issues with phone. Itunes doesnt work for synching, but, there's a program called DoubleTwist. It's not bad. I've just switched back to manual file operations with USB drive mode.

Jason
    Unibody Macbook user here. Only issue you'll have is iTunes 8.2. Chances are if you have buy an MBP new it'll have iTunes 9 on it. Cross your fingers.

And as for wiFi dropping out comment earlier, i've only had it happen once or twice. As opposed to once or twice a night on Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Switched to a macbook last year after being a longtime windows user and no problems with the pre. Has anyone upgraded to the new Snow Leopard operating system and if so, how does it work with the pre?

As an aside, was easy to set up a wireless network on the mac for internet and printing and also easy to access windows programs via installing vmware.
    Using Snow Leopard, and no issues at all with the Pre.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Indeed.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I also use a macbook pro. I run webos quickinstall, rooted my pre, run mytether, and even mess with the emulator on my mac. No issues. I am not sure why the 2 posts say not to do it? I still have vista machines and I am anxiously awaiting win 7 but my macs are my primary machines. I have no wifi issues.

Good luck in school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I agree with everyone else when they say it's a GOOD move. I'm a lifelong Mac user and I've not experienced issues with much. I don't mean to turn this thread into a Mac/PC flamewar, but why do you feel it's a bad move for the OP to switch from Dell to MacBook Pro? I use my Pre on a MacBook 2.2 GHz from 2007 and I can run everything Palm Pre-related perfectly.

So, please enlighten us.
    All the people supporting the move have solid arguments...

All of those against it have nothing

Just a little observation
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    All the people supporting the move have solid arguments...

All of those against it have nothing

Just a little observation
    One word can sum that up:

Indeed!
    I was worried I wouldn't be able to do all that stuff on my Windows partition!
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    I was worried I wouldn't be able to do all that stuff on my Windows partition!
    Eh?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast