Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. melo's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #21  
    It amazes me how some people hate on a mac but never give a reason why lol
    I'm on a Macbook Pro and have no problems with my Pre
  2. klau25's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #22  
    i am a life long win user that just switch to mac this yr. no problem at all with the pre. and my computer doesn't crash either, haha. you can always install boot camp if you need to use pc.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post
    i am a life long win user that just switch to mac this yr. no problem at all with the pre. and my computer doesn't crash either, haha. you can always install boot camp if you need to use pc.
    Dito... I have mainly ran windows, but with all the viruses/trojans and lack of stability, I also purchased a MacBook and the iMac. As far as issues with the Pre, well I haven't found any. Its easier to access the Linux "rooting" than with Win7, also you will have no problems syncing, even though the latest iTunes doesn't allow the Pre to sync media, you can always use DoubleTwist which will also allow you to transfer songs which were in iTunes to the Pre. Also DoubleTwist will auto format and resize movies to fit and work on the Pre.

    As fars as Boot Camp you can go that rout or you can use an Open Source such as Virtual Box or a paid app like VMWare to run Win & OS X simultaneously. Both have great features and are "seamless"

    Hope this helps you out.
  4. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    All the people supporting the move have solid arguments...

    All of those against it have nothing

    Just a little observation
    Here's another observation. People are way too over opinionated on what OS's other people use.

    The guys question is about the Pre but most responses are focused on proving a non-existent winner in Mac vs Windows. Why? OS choice is less important every day so who cares what OS you use when there are barely any tasks left that an average consumer/student can consider to be significantly better on only one platform.

    Being brand agnostic is where everyone should be nowadays because you're only robbing yourself by pretending that buzzwords like "innovation", "lifestyle" or "experience" is exclusive to any single company. These are marketing terms and as consumers we should be questioning them rather than shilling them.

    (That said, my Macbook Pro and a Dell desktop work equally as well with the Pre so no worries and the bigger congratulations is for you getting accepted to UCI. Good work.)
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    I agree with everyone else when they say it's a GOOD move. I'm a lifelong Mac user and I've not experienced issues with much. I don't mean to turn this thread into a Mac/PC flamewar, but why do you feel it's a bad move for the OP to switch from Dell to MacBook Pro? I use my Pre on a MacBook 2.2 GHz from 2007 and I can run everything Palm Pre-related perfectly.

    So, please enlighten us.
    If I do what you ask, I will end up hijacking this thread further to be a pc vs mac flame war.

    I am forced to use a Mac/OSX at work. I hate it. It feels very much like a shell for Unix/Linux (which it is) instead of a real OS. It feels like training wheels. It feels like I'm given a bunch of simple stuff to do but if I want to do anything meaty I better learn to use a command prompt with unix commands (just like Ubuntu - but at least Ubuntu is free and can be installed on any hardware, like a real OS).

    But the main reason I personally despise Mac's are the notion that you are expected to buy overpriced hardware to use an OS, when the hardware is virtually the same as a PC. I don't support that type of business practice on general principle - I'd feel the same way if you had to buy a Microsoft computer to use Windows. To me, a real OS doesn't depend on one manufacturers hardware.

    There, hope your happy, now the posts that will follow from mac zealots will likely get this thread closed.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I have a dell xps m1730, and I want to sell it and buy a macbook pro. I have dual SLI 8800 video card, and it just hogs the battery!

    I got accepted to UCI, and need something smaller to carry around and with better battery life. I dont game anymore so I dont care about "downgrading" my laptop.

    Im looking at the Macbook pro 13, or 15 - I get them pretty cheap with my student discount. I am worried about my pre not behaving properly with a Mac. Will i still be able to use webOS doctor? WebOSInstall? Preware? Palm SDK? Virtual Machine? Sync with itunes(8.2)? Use my pre as a storage device.

    Sorry for the novice questions, but i do not know too much about macs yet. I wanted to mac sure my pre will be completely compatible with a ma before I sell my XPS.

    thanks!
    I agree with the previous post. Bad move. Keep your gaming laptop as it's awesome... then buy some cheap Gateway or Dell inspiron for like 400 bucks... it will have decent battery life and still have core 2 duo.. but just won't be able to game... then if you lose it.. well.. it's only 400 bucks.
  7. ame
    ame is offline
    ame's Avatar
    Posts
    499 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I have a dell xps m1730, and I want to sell it and buy a macbook pro. I have dual SLI 8800 video card, and it just hogs the battery!

    I got accepted to UCI, and need something smaller to carry around and with better battery life. I dont game anymore so I dont care about "downgrading" my laptop.

    Im looking at the Macbook pro 13, or 15 - I get them pretty cheap with my student discount. I am worried about my pre not behaving properly with a Mac. Will i still be able to use webOS doctor? WebOSInstall? Preware? Palm SDK? Virtual Machine? Sync with itunes(8.2)? Use my pre as a storage device.

    Sorry for the novice questions, but i do not know too much about macs yet. I wanted to mac sure my pre will be completely compatible with a ma before I sell my XPS.

    thanks!
    My only concern would be with Snow Leopard. Id be nervous that it won't mesh well with WebOS install and doctor. But from other posts above me, it looks like that's unfounded nervousness.

    So far SnowLeopard has caused a few issues for me at work, with my CreativeSuite not working right. But I don't use my palm for more than accessing as USB at work. At home I have a brand new iMac but I bought it with Leopard on it, and so far so good. Just make sure you go into Java App and make SE 6 be the main Java.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    My only concern would be with Snow Leopard. Id be nervous that it won't mesh well with WebOS install and doctor. But from other posts above me, it looks like that's unfounded nervousness.

    So far SnowLeopard has caused a few issues for me at work, with my CreativeSuite not working right. But I don't use my palm for more than accessing as USB at work. At home I have a brand new iMac but I bought it with Leopard on it, and so far so good. Just make sure you go into Java App and make SE 6 be the main Java.
    My Pre and all the utilities work fine under Snow Leopard. No problems whatsoever.
  9. hselomein's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #29  
    I have a 15" unibody MacBook Pro and its excellent with the Pre, it has solid hardware, and it makes an excellent gaming machine, i can actually play Crysis on it. I use MAC and Windows, via BootCamp. Best purchase ever!
  10.    #30  
    thanks for all the replies guys...

    Im just feed up with vista, and although I know windows 7 is better, Im just sick of windows' bloat. I dont game, and since I am back at school, all i need is something that is portable, gives me 5+hours batt life, surf the web, watch movies, word processing, and music via iTunes. Thats about it. If i game, i can on my xbox (its funnier anyway on Live).

    I am just worried about software, buying everything again, and compatibility of all my peripherals like printers, camera, pre etc but it seems everything is going to work


    For all the people saying mac is expensive, I paid over 3500 for my Dell. LOL. Its fully loaded I know, but I can get a mac for about 1500 (student discount) with a 2.6 intel duo processor 4GB ram, and a 256 discreet+256 shared video card. Not to mention my batt will last about 6 times more now.

    I bought a asus netbook for time being, and I think I am going to return it, I upgraded it to 2GB but the choppiness kills me...

    I might even just keep the netbook for everyday web surfing, and when I need to bring that laptop to class, ill bring the macbook(which looks like with my classes im going to need to).

    One question, 13 or 15 inch macbook pro? I know its off topic but I might as well ask
  11. Roxtar83's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #31  
    Macbook Pro + Snow Leopard + Pre = WIN!
  12. Roxtar83's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #32  
    15 in. The 13 inchers are nice and portable, but with a 15 you won't have any regrets.
  13. #33  
    I use an Asus Netbook 1000HE daily as my secondary computer. The day I got it I took Windows XP off of it and put Windows 7 beta. Windows 7 runs much better than XP on a netbook. Don't ask me why, but it's true. And yes I'm using Aero.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I use an Asus Netbook 1000HE daily as my secondary computer. The day I got it I took Windows XP off of it and put Windows 7 beta. Windows 7 runs much better than XP on a netbook. Don't ask me why, but it's true. And yes I'm using Aero.
    I have the same exact one.. hmmm maybe ill have to try out windows 7 on it then
  15. #35  
    i am a macuser and thinking of going pre again i am iphone currently. Any good place to start to root pre install wifi tethering etc. I was excited to find this thread as i thought i would need to be firing up vmware all the time.
  16. #36  
    Honestly, I've had nothing but trouble dealing with Macbooks. Battery-life seems to be much shorter than other laptops I've had, seems like it needs to be replaced every 4-6 months, comparable to 12-15 on other laptops.

    Besides hardware difficulties, like having to pry the battery out whenever the thing freezes, going from a gaming pc to a Mac seems a bit drastic, you'll barely be able to scrounge up a handful of reasonable games playable...

    I also don't see the point of paying $1500-$2000 for comparable hardware in a $300-$500 laptop, especially with how nice Windows 7 is.

    And remember, if Mac gets too popular it'll catch the attention of virus/spyware creators and they haven't had the 15+ years of experience Windows systems have. Just one virus needs to hit the apple store and almost every mac user'll go down.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions