Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    There's whats happening...

I have a flashed pre and use it on the Cricket network. (I do not have internet enabled on the account)

AFTER I did the firmware update from Palm, I noticed that now I get a (67) error
    ("Your phone could not establish a data connection (67)")

I get this message:
    1) When dialing a phone number
    2) After I hang up
    3) When receiving an incoming call
    4) Spontaneously throughout the day and night.

I have the GPS turned off, I have the wifi turned off also. (There should be no call for data connectivity with these turned off)

The pattern to me seems like it is uploading call information (or other info) surreptitiously and this is extremely annoying.

Does anyone know where the code is so that I can delete or disable this possible corporate/governmental snooping feature?

I am sure many others besides I would be grateful for the information...

EDIT ADDITION: PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING A COMMENT PLEASE!
    Last edited by Tamryn; 09/18/2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    The pre is designed to be online constantly. I doubt it would ever work right with no internet connectivity.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    My pre is NEVER online (except when I turn the wifi on at a hotspot) and works perfectly for me. I need a way to get rid of this annoying '67' notification (At all costs)
    Erm, how are you using this with Cricket? The Palm Profile uses data and is required just to activate the phone...
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamryn View Post
    My pre is NEVER online (except when I turn the wifi on at a hotspot) and works perfectly for me. I need a way to get rid of this annoying '67' notification (At all costs)
    Well what you are complaining about is its desire to be online. So apparently perfectly is a bit of a stretch.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Well what you are complaining about is its desire to be online. So apparently perfectly is a bit of a stretch.
    I don't want a phone that is constantly online to track everything I do. I want a phone to be a phone when I need it to be.... and to connect to the internet when and ONLY when I want it to. PERIOD. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have read that others have noticed that the phone is 'uploading info via internet' without user authorization (independent of normal cellular network pings) and these users agree that this is a bit underhanded for the phone to be collecting info about usage etc.

This is an invasion of privacy in my opinion. Some may disagree, and if you want your info tracked, that's your call but I like and value my privacy.

OTHER than the '67' error I have no real complaints...

The issue at hand is finding a solution to block or disable the periodic and unauthorized internet connection that is NOT user initiated.

Now unless someone can help with a solution, please keep the comments contained to solution finding. It would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    I don't want a phone that is constantly online to track everything I do. I want a phone to be a phone when I need it to be.... and to connect to the internet when and ONLY when I want it to. PERIOD. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Erm, why did you pick a Pre? You can't even activate it without connecting to the internet; it's synergy is designed to use the internet... btw, you didn't answer me before but how are you actually using a Pre on cricket?

I have read that others have noticed that the phone is 'uploading info via internet' without user authorization (independent of normal cellular network pings) and these users agree that this is a bit underhanded for the phone to be collecting info about usage etc.

This is an invasion of privacy in my opinion. Some may disagree, and if you want your info tracked, that's your call but I like and value my privacy.
    How often are you getting this error? If it's more than once a day, then you're confusing the privacy concern with something very different.

Now unless someone can help with a solution, please keep the comments contained to solution finding. It would be appreciated.
    You want people to find a solution for you but you chose the wrong phone and it's going to be difficult for someone to do so. I'm not so sure there is an answer for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Erm, why did you pick a Pre? .....

.....You want people to find a solution for you but you chose the wrong phone and it's going to be difficult for someone to do so....

My thoughts exactly. No offense to the OP or anyone else in the same situation, but buying a pre and tyring to use it without a network connection is pretty idiotic. There are plenty of smartphones on the market that can do this quite well, but the Pre isn't one of them.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Erm, why did you pick a Pre? You can't even activate it without connecting to the internet; it's synergy is designed to use the internet... btw, you didn't answer me before but how are you actually using a Pre on cricket?

It has been flashed (I am surprised that you do not know of such a concept if you are so into phones... Look it up, it's a program called CDMA workshop... it's been out for a long time)

"How often are you getting this error? If it's more than once a day, then you're confusing the privacy concern with something very different."

PLEASE READ ALL POSTS BEFORE RESPONDING! I addressed this in the very first post.

"You want people to find a solution for you but you chose the wrong phone and it's going to be difficult for someone to do so. I'm not so sure there is an answer for you. "

No, I chose the right phone simply because of the ability to hack it. I think you guys are posting the majority of these unhelpful responses are posting simply to hear yourself post. (I also addressed this concern in the end ofpost #6)

Do any of you younger generation read and comprehend anymore??? I tend to be relatively concise and to the point, but the amount of frivolous posts are somewhat annoying. Let me be clear once again... I am looking for TECHNICAL OBSERVATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS not questions and 'left field' snipes at 'it's the wrong phone for you' etc.

My thoughts exactly. No offense to the OP or anyone else in the same situation, but buying a pre and tyring to use it without a network connection is pretty idiotic. There are plenty of smartphones on the market that can do this quite well, but the Pre isn't one of them.

No, it's a matter of hacking (this phone is a perfect hacking candidate, thats the only reason I bought it) and I am looking for suggestions from people that are familiar (other hackers) with the coding to point me in the right area of the firmware so I can hack away OR ALTERNATIVELY, they have done so already and are able to give guidance.

Thank you
    It has been flashed (I am surprised that you do not know of such a concept if you are so into phones... Look it up, it's a program called CDMA workshop... it's been out for a long time)
    Thanks for assuming that I've never heard of flashing.

I have not yet seen or heard of others using the Palm Pre on cricket or any other provider other than specified ones, hence why I wanted to know how you were doing this. I didn't think this was a big deal to ask...
    PLEASE READ ALL POSTS BEFORE RESPONDING! I addressed this in the very first post.
    My question was sarcastic. You stated that you believe this is related to the secret uploading of data that was discussed before but that only happens once a day. What you're experiencing is obviously not that.

The Palm Pre is meant to be data-connected. It checks for updates, updates your Palm Profile with contacts, calendar events and other settings, it checks for application updates, it uses data to get the best GPS position, etc. What you're experiencing could be caused by any number of things.
    No, I chose the right phone simply because of the ability to hack it. I think you guys are posting the majority of these unhelpful responses are posting simply to hear yourself post. (I also addressed this concern in the end ofpost #6)

Do any of you younger generation read and comprehend anymore??? I tend to be relatively concise and to the point, but the amount of frivolous posts are somewhat annoying. Let me be clear once again... I am looking for TECHNICAL OBSERVATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS not questions and 'left field' snipes at 'it's the wrong phone for you' etc.
    What do you mean younger generation and why are you being so rude? I've already explained to you just how connected the Pre is to data. There are so many possibilities as to what could be causing this issue that I don't think there is going to be any easy way of doing what you want.

Literally, you're going to have to figure out exactly what objects attempt to connect to the internet and find out how you can circumvent them unless you're on WiFi. It's going to be an incredibly huge, uphill, battle which makes no sense and why many of us think you chose the wrong phone.

We're trying to help.
    Tamryn- your problem is that you are all over the place.

Go to the webos development forum and ask your question there- specifically about a work around for the error 67. My guess is that this is a tall order as the entire platform is built on an always on Internet connection- hence "WebOS". With the CDMA radio turned off you will notice many apps cannot even be opened.

When you question why the error 67 is happening, complain about your privacy and generally criticize the phones design you have to expect a response.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Tamryn- your problem is that you are all over the place.

Go to the webos development forum and ask your question there- specifically about a work around for the error 67. My guess is that this is a tall order as the entire platform is built on an always on Internet connection- hence "WebOS". With the CDMA radio turned off you will notice many apps cannot even be opened.

When you question why the error 67 is happening, complain about your privacy and generally criticize the phones design you have to expect a response.
    Exactly. If he is soo savy, he should know that webosinternals have a patch for his issue. So easy to jump on friendly members who simply try to point real facts, eh? In conclusion, I love turtles.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    For some reason I am almost highly doubting that your PRE was "flashed". Im not seeing anything out there about someone cracking the code to flash it.

And considering there are NO posts on here about someone flashing their PRE to another carrier, I doubt its available yet.

If you knew enough of how to "flash" your PRE, and seem to be the first on this forum to do so....then you should be knowledgeable enough to correct what problems you have with it now.
    not sure what u mean by flashed pre.

I had the same exact prob when I got my pre a week ago. I walked out of the store able to dial, but I got error 67 every 10 mins or so, and I was unable to connect to the internet. After several calls to sprint CS, and partially erasing, totally erasing the phone, it still wouldn't connect (or even activate at times). I was unable to log in to my palm profile or create a new one, and that is the first thing that HAS to be done after the phone is activated.

I took the phone back to best buy, and we attempted to do the same on a new phone. No luck. The BB rep called Sprint and was told that they (sprint) are having problems with the palm module and comm link, and that it will take X hours or days to resolve. As I was about to switch to another phone, I attemped to reconnect one more time, and it worked.

Not sure if this is your fate, but just make sure that you see Ev or 1X at the top of your screen. If you don't, then exchange your phone.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ok, let me say that I NEVER HAD AN ERROR 67 UNTIL THE THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!!

MODERATOR, PLEASE DELETE THREAD SO I CAN START OVER WITHOUT ALL THE NON-HELPFUL ARGUMENTATIVE POSTS.

Thank you
    I love turtles, I love turtles, I love turtles..........

Being a member of Precentral is great!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Tamryn: Just as an outside observer I'd say the only non-helpful, argumentative person here is you.
    It backs up your data, syncs profiles ... etc. You think it's reporting your location to the FBI?

Why do you have this phone? Wrap in in tinfoil, maybe that will help.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Ok, let me say that I NEVER HAD AN ERROR 67 UNTIL THE THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!!

MODERATOR, PLEASE DELETE THREAD SO I CAN START OVER WITHOUT ALL THE NON-HELPFUL ARGUMENTATIVE POSTS.

Thank you

looking around the internet, you are getting error 67 because the phone is trying to connect to your spirit profile - which you don't have because you don't have a spirit account. However you've flashed the radio, the web OS bit is still trying to get in touch with home.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    looking around the internet, you are getting error 67 because the phone is trying to connect to your spirit profile - which you don't have because you don't have a spirit account. However you've flashed the radio, the web OS bit is still trying to get in touch with home.
    Wonderful

Thank you Someone finally posts something neutral in tone and understands whats is going on and replies in a concise manner. Love it! What I need now is anyone with insight as to which parts of the OS that deals specifically with connecting to the sprint profile so I can disable those parts of the os.

(A Note: The error message still appears even if WIFI is connected, so it has nothing to do with internet connectivity. It is a provider network issue and since I do not use sprint's network, it should be possible to be hacked without effecting WIFI internet connectivity.)

Has anyone looked into this yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast