Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know the Pre doesn't have the [Moderator Edit: "push to talk" voice dial] feature, so one cannot make phone calls while driving in California. Will the new Web OS 1.2 fix this? I am really getting tired of pulling over to make a call in rush-hour traffic (and equally tired of the adrenaline rush that comes from not doing so, and seeing a cop behind or next to me )
    Does anyone know about this?? I wish they would have been more forthcoming about this flaw BEFORE I bought it and fell in love with it. For the first month, I thought it was my BT.

Thanks so much guys! I am glad there are knowledgeable folks out there who freely give of their time and expertise! to all of you!
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/19/2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: corrected post to what op was really asking
    What? bluetooth works fine. Well most do anyways... So does a audio cable...
    I don't think they know what they are trying to explain...lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Is Bluetooth not allowed in Cali?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    wait, what?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but how wouldn't you have known the pre wasn't ptt? doesn't that require a specific plan and radio inside the phone?

I don't think a simple software update would enable this functionality.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I think the original poster meant 'voice dialing' (using voice to pick up the contact and initiate the call) not 'push-to-talk' (cell phone implementation of walkie-talkie).
    Both are not available on Pre right now; voice dialing could be added via OS update, but push-to-talk requires hardware absent inside Pre.
    california's hands free law (California Vehicle Code [VC] 23123) does not prohibit dialing while driving.

Text Messaging Law Effective January 1, 2009/Cellular Phone Laws Effective July 1, 2008
    V.C. Section 23123 - Hand-Held Wireless Telephone: Prohibited Use

get a bluetooth handsfree or use the wired one that comes with the phone and you're fine.
    I live in California and i am on my bluetooth constantly while driving. Get a Jawbone...or a walkie talkie...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    I think the original poster meant 'voice dialing' (using voice to pick up the contact and initiate the call) not 'push-to-talk' (cell phone implementation of walkie-talkie).
    Both are not available on Pre right now; voice dialing could be added via OS update, but push-to-talk requires hardware absent inside Pre.
    Yes, this is what I mean exactly. Sorry about the confusion. So there is going to be an update to the OS, how hard to you think it would be to add voice dialing? I would even pay for it in an app. At times like this, I miss my Instinct. Never thought I would EVER say that! And yes, as in love as I was with the idea of a Pre, I would never have gotten it if I knew I would have to pull over to initiate a call.
  10.    #10  
    ....And yes, I do have a bluetooth, I just cannot push the BT and say "call Susie-Q" and have it pull up her number and dial it for me while I keep both hands on the wheel (at '10' and '2'). I have to pull out my Pre, juggle around a bit trying to open it with one hand while NOT dropping it, then giving up and fishing around on the floor under the console (and around the gas pedal) while weaving in and out of at least 2 lanes, then weave a bit more while I type in "S-U-S..." and finding the proper number, then commence dialing and then put my hands back on the wheel at '10' and '2', and continue to drive safely to my destination....
    It's a wonder I ever get anywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by CherDamas View Post
    ....And yes, I do have a bluetooth, I just cannot push the BT and say "call Susie-Q" and have it pull up her number and dial it for me while I keep both hands on the wheel (at '10' and '2'). I have to pull out my Pre, juggle around a bit trying to open it with one hand while NOT dropping it, then giving up and fishing around on the floor under the console (and around the gas pedal) while weaving in and out of at least 2 lanes, then weave a bit more while I type in "S-U-S..." and finding the proper number, then commence dialing and then put my hands back on the wheel at '10' and '2', and continue to drive safely to my destination....
    Ahh I see. There is a homebrew app available that lets you make you contact an icon on the launcher page. A quick swipe up and to the page you use for contact icons and there you go...also I leave my dialpad open when driving, i can get to the call log pretty quickly...I do feel your pain though, In NY we have a similar law.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  12.    #12  
    *snort* Thanks for feeling my pain. Since I do most of my calls while driving (multitasking at it's best) it has really put a crimp in my style.
    Oh, and thank you too, jaroslawk, for putting in technical terms what I was trying to 'you know' with all those monosyllabic 'thingy-ma-bobs'
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts

??
    it really doesn't matter what phone you end up with. If this describes how you do things. You should continue to pull over to initiate a call. You might want to reconsider driving alltogether. Primarily though, stay in California!!
    [QUOTE=Xyg;1903925]

??[/QUO

That doesn't cure what ails the OP. In order to use that apparatus he would have to take his eyes off the road in order to dial a number and that is extremely dangerous.
    He is alluding to the the convenience that comes with only having to press a button on his bluetooth, then speak a number or name which will connect a phone call without his eyes ever leaving the road.
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    it really doesn't matter what phone you end up with. If this describes how you do things. You should continue to pull over to initiate a call. You might want to reconsider driving alltogether. Primarily though, stay in California!!

This.

It really doesn't matter what method you're using to talk on a cellular telephone, as your reaction time and attention are affected the same whether you have the phone up to the side of your head or if you're using a headset/going handsfree.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Geeeez, ok, I may have exaggerated my lack driving skills while trying to open and dial the Pre a wee bit for humor's sake, but man, you are harsh! It is however, somewhat difficult to open the Pre with one hand and dial while driving safely.

I was just reminiscing on the ONE joy of the Instinct, and how I didn't know what I would be missing by switching to the Pre. It is VERY handy to just toggle the BT and speak.

I'm gonna crawl back under my rock until I find my "happy place"
    Geeeez, ok, I may have exaggerated my lack driving skills while trying to open and dial the Pre a wee bit for humor's sake, but man, you are harsh! It is however, somewhat difficult to open the Pre with one hand and dial while driving safely.

I was just reminiscing on the ONE joy of the Instinct, and how I didn't know what I would be missing by switching to the Pre. It is VERY handy to just toggle the BT and speak.

Surely you know I was posting tongue in cheek. You're probably OK driving and even talking (but I was serious about staying in CA, or at least out of TX...).

Seriously, how many folks do you call that regularly? If it's not many, set them up for speed dial, and leave the phone open when it's sitting in your car. Turn on your BT headset, leave the keyboard open, and press and hold any of the 2-0 numbers to call someone.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

I agree with hparsons...... who is really so important to talk to that you (not you poster, but general "you") would risk your life or the lives of others to talk to?

Good job for pulling over to dial calls though.... it may be inconvenient, but its safe. I'm sure there will be voice dialing at some point.
    Yes, this is what I mean exactly. Sorry about the confusion. So there is going to be an update to the OS, how hard to you think it would be to add voice dialing? I would even pay for it in an app. At times like this, I miss my Instinct. Never thought I would EVER say that! :p And yes, as in love as I was with the idea of a Pre, I would never have gotten it if I knew I would have to pull over to initiate a call. :shake:
    Cher,

Welcome to the forums!

I changed you thread title to match your topic.

" :confused: Some help here...." does not help others know if they want to read the thread. You may suck in people who are not interested and miss others who would have helped you if they knew what your thread was about.

I also changed "push to talk" to "voice dial" in your opening post. If you find that you have made a key mistake in a post you can edit your own posts to make the correction.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/19/2009 at 08:18 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast