Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    So I need to exchange my Pre and found out you cannot take your text messages with you. Does anyone know how to do this? I did search by the way.

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. This phone should have never been released, there is way to much simple stuff that it cannot do.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Shameless bump. Anyone?
    I believe they are stored in the pre's internal database... Prolly the only way to get to them ATM would be to root the pre and backup the DB yourself
    @MatthiasII: Score =)
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    @MatthiasII: Score =)
    Thanks, but that does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremytn View Post
    Thanks, but that does not work.
    I'm betting on user error.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BEDA View Post
    I'm betting on user error.
    Maybe. But I’m not going to "root" my pre just to get the dang text messages to back up. Its just stupid. The fact that you even have to "root" your pre is also stupid. I waited in line for 4 hours and paid $250 for a phone that cannot do the simplest things, even my 755 backed up the text messages.

I think a blackberry is in my future. Palm is too concerned with braking into ITunes to fix anything.
    The fact that you even have to "root" your pre is also stupid. I waited in line for 4 hours and paid $250 for a phone that cannot do the simplest things, even my 755 backed up the text messages.
    I guess that's what happens when you shell out $250 without doing your homework.

You call it "the simplest thing" but in my entire life, I've never known a single person who would have even thought about trying to back up text messages before swapping phones. It's an obscure and rarely requested feature on a phone that is CLEARLY focused on web connectivity first, and "traditional" phone features second.

Also, you act like "rooting" your pre is akin to jailbreaking, like most people do. All "rooting" means is that you access it from a command line. Woopie. Big deal. Plug you phone into a computer, type 3 lines of commands, which you can copy and paste if you're lazy, and you're done. What's so unforgivable about that?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I guess that's what happens when you shell out $250 without doing your homework.

You call it "the simplest thing" but in my entire life, I've never known a single person who would have even thought about trying to back up text messages before swapping phones. It's an obscure and rarely requested feature on a phone that is CLEARLY focused on web connectivity first, and "traditional" phone features second.

Also, you act like "rooting" your pre is akin to jailbreaking, like most people do. All "rooting" means is that you access it from a command line. Woopie. Big deal. Plug you phone into a computer, type 3 lines of commands, which you can copy and paste if you're lazy, and you're done. What's so unforgivable about that?
    I guess your right. I use my pre for business, and let me tell you, it sucks for business. I have hundreds of text messages that are used daily for my business. Its important to me. I could make a list if "issues" I have with the phone that are simple. Ex. can't forward a text message.
    Ex. can't forward a text message.
    Actually, you most certainly can forward text messages.

The whole point of the Pre, is that it's linux opperating system makes it highly customizable, and Palm has gone out of their way to make it easy.

The is NOT jailbreaking.

Go download and use WebOSQuickInstall, which is free, and without ever havng to type a single command on a command line, you can install all sorts of software and tweaks that will allow you to do all sorts of things, including forward text messages.

Also, as folks have already pointed out, you most certainly can back up text messages, it just requires root access, which isn't that tough.

So here we have it. You got this phone without doing enough homework, and out of the box, it fails to do several things that are VERY important to you, which I can understand. As I see it, you've got 3 choices.

1. Be really unhappy with the Pre.
    2. Spend lot's of money to move to a phone that does what you want out of the box, but loose all the neat new features of the Pre.
    3. Embrace what you have, take a serious look at homebrew and WebOSQuickInstall, learn how to access your Pre via a root console, and trick your phone out to do exactly what you want it to do.