Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Handset sales down 30% from last year this time? Ouch. So the Pre has not yet turned things around for Palm. Maybe it'll get better once the other carriers are on board.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-annou...y-2010-results
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Handset sales down 30% from last year this time? Ouch. So the Pre has not yet turned things around for Palm. Maybe it'll get better once the other carriers are on board.

I don't think that anyone, especially the speculators, is surprised by that figure compared to last year. The economy definitely has a lot to do with comparison numbers from year to year. What's more encouraging, and what many of the speculators are looking at, is the comparison from last quarter to this quarter. As the economy has grown stronger, it appears so have their handset sales. If that trend continues into the next quarter, I would have to think that Palm is on the right track.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaihawk View Post
    I don't think that anyone, especially the speculators, is surprised by that figure compared to last year.
    Indeed, better than most expected. 823,000 shipped isn't bad either atm I'd say.

Bloomberg: Palm Reports Smaller-Than-Estimated Loss on Sales of Pre Phone. ( link )
    Did they announce how many Pre's they have sold to date?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    But how many of them were Pre's? There's the unanswered question. I bet they won't say.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Read one article that guesstimate is around 520,000.
    Would be nice if PALM would say but I doubt it.
    They need to get that app store running ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Did they announce how many Pre's they have sold to date?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Live-blog:

LIVE: Palm Beats The Street, Will Offer 16 Million Shares (PALM)

Basically they're not answering any in depth questions..
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post

I would not read too much into that headline figure - they will be down because low-margin devices such as the Centro were coming to the end of their life.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I'm listening in on the conf call, and they are definitely not giving any breakdown. However, it was said that the "vast majority" of that 823K was attributable to the Pre.

Analysts continue to chip away with questions, so maybe we'll get more to go on...
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Also said that the 30% decline was primarily due to a drop-off in sales of legacy products.
    Vast majority in CEO speak means...perhaps 60%? 60% of 823k = 493.8k. I think this means they didn't quite meet expectations. But, then, they could have met them too. One never can tell.

*sigh*
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Just read that Palm made a profit last quarter or something. Cool.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Palm guidance says they expect a decline in revenue (primarily Pre) for the next quarter. Analyst trying to get them to explain why, no deal...
    Last edited by s219; 09/17/2009 at 04:16 PM.
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    S219:

Palm is saying Q1 is influenced by a recent product launch, Q2 will be between product launches and will therefore see weaker sales, Q3 and Q4 will reflect product launches on Telefonica and Sprint, which will see an increase sales. Subsequent quarters will see increased revenue as manufacturing processes become more efficient, increasing margin.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Just read that Palm made a profit last quarter or something. Cool.
    Not a profit, but their quarterly loss was substantially less going from Q4 to Q1.
    reading between the lines, Palm is saying Pre cannot maintain sales momentum into Q2 :-(
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Analyst: did Pre reach market saturation at $199 level, causing drop to $149?

Ruby: Pixie announcement made them want to re-position the Pre heading into holidays.

(that sound like baloney to me though)
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    5:12 Voice apps on other platforms. When will WebOS support native voice apps? We have a long list of features and capabilities that we'll be adding in the future. But can't give you a specific as to when each feature will be. But we do have over the air update mechanism. Can deliver incremental updates.
    We sorta already knew this, but still, it's good to know they're serious about adding features - and this doesn't seem like the small "let's add twitter to the search options" kinda thing..
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by montush View Post
    reading between the lines, Palm is saying Pre cannot maintain sales momentum into Q2 :-(
    Xyg's explanation makes sense, and echoes a couple points Palm made that they saw bumps from Sprint launch early in quarter and Bell Canada late in quarter. So maybe nominal sales are not a big contributor compared to the launch bumps.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    5:19 Abramsky from RBC. How easy for WebOS to adapt to different form factor? We had unique oppty to develop Web OS and start with blank sheet of paper. Sticking with Palm's basic DNA, using advanced tech. Old Palm OS lasted 16 years. Designing WebOS to last for 10-15 years. Team challenged not just for Pre or Pixi, but for product designed maybe 3-5 years from now. For mobile devices and we designed it to not have limitations that would prevent us from having product development we may have in the future.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast