Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Bad experience for the OP but I could see this as a selling point.

Loose your phone ans Sprint can brick it in 15 minutes. no worry about someone calling your boss or for real stealing your cc # from the phone(is it saved on the phone for the app store?)
    Quote Originally Posted by VetDoctor View Post
    Bad experience for the OP but I could see this as a selling point.

Loose your phone ans Sprint can brick it in 15 minutes. no worry about someone calling your boss or for real stealing your cc # from the phone(is it saved on the phone for the app store?)
    You can already remotely brick a WM, BB, and iPhone - nothing new to see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I stopped buying gas and now my car will not run!
    You really don't get it, do you. A better analogy would be "I canceled the XM subscription on my car radio, and now my car won't run.

A car needs gasoline to run. Software for a PIM / music player / video player should NOT need a phone connection to run.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So far I have not met anyone that has left the Pre for the iphone. I gave up a free iphone with free service for my pre.
    I did, the Pre was IMHO a substandard device.
    I just filed a complaint with the FCC, Sprint, and Palm Corporate concerning the device being disabled if not on network, and charging huge prices for data plans when I already had and data plan. Time for a class action law suit against both companies IMO. We are spending over 100,000,000 to map the Internet connections across this country. Corporations standing in the way of us doing business over the net are bad for business thus bad for this nation.
    a bump on the information super highway
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorleto View Post
    I am laughing right along with everyone else, and I am the original poster. This is so pathetic, that it's laughable, and I am so glad to have changed carrier and phone based on this alone. All my old Centros Treos, etc. I can still turn on and use as a PIM at least or get my passwords out of SplashID. To think that the PRE could be designed is boggling to me. Example, have an iphone not activated - I can still use it on Wifi. But with Pre, it asks to log into Palm Profile I know my profile name and password are correct, but it will not go past the screen so long as I don't have a Sprint account anymore. Palm Chat and live rep have confirmed this with me too. Would love a work around at least to delete my data off the device short of a hammer. and even then, isn't some of it residing on their cloud?
    No, you can't use an unactivated iPhone over WiFi, unless you hack-tivate it. The same applies for a Pre - you'll need to use a modded webOS Doctor image to bypass the activation process, but it can be done and you'll have a perfectly usable Pre with WiFi only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    No, you can't use an unactivated iPhone over WiFi, unless you hack-tivate it. The same applies for a Pre - you'll need to use a modded webOS Doctor image to bypass the activation process, but it can be done and you'll have a perfectly usable Pre with WiFi only.
    That's funny... I'm using my unactivated/unhacked iPhone 3g on my home wifi network to type this message... try again. (to be fair it's really not unactivated, but the SIM card is not in it, which is the same thing).
    Last edited by yetisnack; 09/25/2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    True, you can use an iPhone with WiFi only, but that is the way it was designed to work, since essentially that is how the iPod Touch works. In fact, you have to have the WiFi to load apps, you can't do that over the phone.
    Even though I know I am dangerously close to being labeled as another Apple cheerleader, I am really just pointing out blatant inaccuracies of the palm apologists.... I regularly download apps while sitting in my 'private' office at work and my company wouldn't know what WiFi was if it bit them on their corporate kiesters. So, unless I have some miracle **** that is capable of amplifying WiFi signals from miles away, I would assume I am using the 'phone' to load those apps

As far as the cheerleading goes... I love my iPhone, but wouldn't think twice about throwing it in a wood-chipper if/when something better comes out.
    My Pre went "off-line" right after 1.2 came down. I couldn't get online through the phone, but my camera, calender and such all still worked. Aren't these resident on the device and independent of external support? Things like Google maps and Sprint Nav. I understand won't work, but just about everything else seemed fine.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    This whole thread is ®etarded.

We've known since the Pre came out that it requires activation the first time it's used.

Well what happens when you do a full reset? It's the same as if you just took a brand-new phone out of the box. It clearly says this in the manual. They don't print those things just to waste paper.

Phone activation is only required the first time the phone is used.

Sprint did not brick his phone, he did when he did a full erase without thinking it through.
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Palm/sprint may erase your phone and put it a factory conditions as part of the web os update process
    As I posted a week ago, Palm / Sprint factory reset my phone as the web os 1.2 update process. I know not everyone had that happen but many did.
    And yes my palm profile was not restored, so I have had to start from scratch.
    I do not trust palm or sprint or cloud computing.
    If I had not saved my treo with the data intact I would be completely screwed.

Main point: you must save in some way in your control anything you have on your pre that you expect to see again. Because the WebOS update process may erase your phone and since you can't see or sync your Palm profile, you have to "trust" palm/sprint to have your data and they likely won't: personal experience: and yes I had Sprint try to help at several levels
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    [B]This whole thread is ®etarded
    It doens't matter how smart people are, smart wrapped up in a big old thick layer of stupid is still stupid.

If it weren't for threads like this, this forum might actually run faster.....but might only have 10 posts a day too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I stopped buying gas and now my car will not run!
    But i can still use my radio, and lights still come on when i open the door.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456