Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 113
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Just like an iPod Touch, the Pre SHOULD work fine anywhere there is WiFi, with no cell activation. It is a small computer with a Phone. Not the other way around. I use the data and computer features of mine 15 times more than I use the phone portion.
    That's ridiculous it is not a "small computer with a phone." It's a phone and sold as so.

    Your personal use has zero to do with what the device was designed to be or how it was sold.
  2. #62  
    exactly. one reason I don't own the pre anymore. Still dumb of palm, a pda based company, to not allow their phone to be used as a standalone device. You'd think they would allow standalone use just for the sheer hope of selling more devices.

    HTC Hero here I come.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    The Pre is a very poor PDA - I would suggest a Tungsten T|X or something like that
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #63  
    Its really sad that people are blaming the customer for the limitations of a product that we all paid for.

    To dismiss this as a device that's SUPPOSED to die once you take the phone out is silly because IF the pre is the magnificent device everyone claims it to be then we'll all be in the same boat when we upgrade to the Pre2. There's nothing wrong with expecting to use this as a backup PIM, GPS, Media player, wifi tablet etc some day..
  4. #64  
    its more of a mini computer than anything ,isn't it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5. #65  
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?t=203812
    ask your questions to this guy maybe you get an answer no?? lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #66  
    What's with all the LOL's and the "why did you switch" posts? I'm beginning to think all these die hard Palm fans are a bunch of A$$holes.

    One should be able to use their phone/smartphone features regardless if they are hooked to a carrier or not.

    I still use my motorola q even though I cancelled my svc with verizon, the calendar, alarm, even pocket quicken work great, heck I still carry this as a backup to my pre because it works better.

    For those saying it's a phone and should only expect it to be used as a phone is a bunch of crap. I except ALL the features to still work minus the cell phone service if I cancel.

    If this is in fact true and not an oversite by PALM, this solidifies my decision of selling my pre and staying away from anything having to do with "cloud" computing.

    Plus I wouldn't miss the Palm cheerleaders one bit or at least the jerks that tend to laugh and ridicule ones concerns.
  7. #67  
    considering the fact that no one else has said this has happened to them yet . it may or may not be a lone issue so lets just wait and see jeez ....listen to yourself you sound just like all those people your accusing of being jerks ha! guess your just as bad in my eyes . just relax .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I don't know, if you want a music player, PDA, or wifi internet device, buy a music player, PDA, or wifi internet device.

    The Pre is a cell phone, which is currently attached to Sprint. It doesn't matter if it makes cookies or trains puppies, it's still sold as a cell phone.

    Sprint (any every other carrier) spends money above and beyond the purchase subsidy to support cell phones they carry contingent on recuperating money from the service they provide; hence the exclusivity of devices on given networks.

    Bottom line is you bought a cell phone which requires cellular service to operate. There's nothing deceptive about that.
    BS. There's no other cell phone on the market that stops working completely when you take it off contract. Should we expect that the functions that require a cellular connection stop working? Of course. But there absolutely no technical reason everything else has to fail. This is a Sprint policy to try to lock you into their service, period. And I think that's anti-competitive. Congress is investigating the cellular industry. Someone should bring this to their attention, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Return function? lol



    What are you going to use it for? It's a phone with features. Not features with a phone.

    It may suck, and I'm sure you can suggest something to palm, but I don't see it as a big deal.


    All I have to say is, this phone is completely "web based". It's sold as such. Hell, the name of the os is "webos". It is asinine to think anything otherwise than it needing a connection for EVERYTHING.

    Don't cancel your service til youre set with whatever you need.
    BS. There are lots of features that don't need the web to work. You can load calendar data, task data, and contacts without the web. You can load and listen to music and videos without the web. Heck, you don't even need the web to use it as a cell phone. (You do, of course, need cellular service). There are lots of other phones that are dependent on data for some of their functions. The pre is the only one that stops working completely without cellular service. I don't know why you're an apologist for Sprint.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    That's ridiculous it is not a "small computer with a phone." It's a phone and sold as so.

    Your personal use has zero to do with what the device was designed to be or how it was sold.
    Again, BS. Have you actually watched any of the Pre ads? The phone gets almost no play at all. In fact, you could watch these ads and not even realize it makes phone calls. What Palm and Sprint talk about is organizing your life. And that means the PIM apps. Palm absolutely markets this as a computer, and not as a phone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10. #70  
    hey everyone check this out.... maybe it works after all????
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?t=203832
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. #71  
    my bad this is what is said in that thread "Just google for Quinray's 1.03 activation bypass rom. all you need is a computer with java to run the utility"
    i dont know anything about this but if it works then great!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  12. #72  
    and you palm profile should be retained as your own property even after closing down any cell service. The palm profile is maintained by palm, not sprint - so it should stand to reason that there should be some method to work around the need for a cellular data signal. I had a similar issue with my replacement Pre when I picked it up at a sprint store. They had little/no data coverage, so I had to walk outside, and down the sidewalk a ways to get enough signal to get signed on - was pretty embarrassing for the store actually, as it was one of their repair centers. I had to laugh at the situation though.

    It seems to me there has to be some way to make this phone work w/o a connection as it would still be a very useful and capable device, indeed a small computer that is loads easier to transport and manage than a netbook or laptop with many of the same advantages. Personally, I would contact Palm and request to return the device as it is obviously malfunctioning due to hardware constraints. Afterall, it did ship with a 1 yr manufacturer warranty, right? Either they get it to work for you, or they dont, and if it does not operate then you should either get a replacement that DOES work - or your $$ back, or at least a similar level of product compensation (another palm device worth an equal amount).

    Mind you, I dont usually fall on the side of the customer, and tend to think most people are whiners - but I think there is a valid point to the complaint here. Yes its a phone, but even my old brick phone can still be turned on, contacts accessed, calculators used, emergency calls made, etc. So I dont see how it is unreasonable to expect the Pre to continue to operate after service cancellation - it should still work, just not be able to run all the web-gizmo-goodness.
  13. #73  
    I have a hard time believing that this is a legit problem or not due to user error. In order for the phone to 'deactivate' it would have to get a signal from Palm or Sprint ... so he'd have to have had the phone on and using his service up until then. So, oops on his part. The OP (no offense) should have switched to airplane mode and called it a day before he switched off his service.

    Heck, even to remotely delete the data off the phone -- according to Palm -- can take up to an hour and requires the phone to have service.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Oh.......k?

    Seriously, you chose to cancel Sprint for whatever ungodly reason.
    Don't sit here and blame anyone but yourself for your shortsightedness.

    Why would you cancel Sprint?
    For $148 a month we have four phones that, with any mobile, anytime, have UNLIMITED calls/data/text.
    I sound like a damned Sprint service rep, but I just don't get why you would cancel it.
    And your justification for cancelling, which is, "and I am so glad to have changed carrier and phone based on this alone." is utterly ridiculous.


    I can find something wrong with EVERYTHING that exists in the world, why would you want to?

    Enjoy your $$$ paperweight my friend.
    This post is so painfully illogical and needlessly rude, I don't know what to do.

    If you kept reading, you'd understand why the op canceled - not that this info is necessary or even our business, for the purposes of this thread.

    Ridiculous.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    There's a lot of things that SHOULD occur in life, that don't. The best solution is to petition palm to allow this and to always think and be aware before you take an action. Just as you should with every other decision in life.
    Jesus. Another one.

    This time we're treated to a flawed argument, rude commentary, AND blatant moving of the goalposts.

    First your point was that it's a "web" phone and os so it's obvious that it needs the web to work, thus "proving" that the op should've forseen this problem, and so he deserves what he got.

    But when someone shatters your paper-thin logic, the point becomes about petitioning Palm and how people should think first before every action in life... Actions which apparently don't include internet posting.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    What's with all the LOL's and the "why did you switch" posts? I'm beginning to think all these die hard Palm fans are a bunch of A$$holes.


    Luckily, the op takes it in stride, but I couldm't agree with you more.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  17. #77  
    Since it is rather to use the Pre off-network and off-service this thread is much ado about nothing. Google and ye shall know!
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Since it is rather to use the Pre off-network and off-service this thread is much ado about nothing. Google and ye shall know!
    What?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. Tyndall's Avatar
    Posts
    198 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #79  
    Ragging on the OP is ridiculous. He makes a valid point. If Sprint offers another phone which suits my needs more than the Pre down the road and I want to switch from my Pre I should still be able to use my Pre on WIFI or use it as a MP3 player etc. This has been exactly how all prior devices have been set up. All my prior Treos still work, just not as a phone. An iPhine will continue to work on WIFI like an iTouch.

    I cannot fathom some of the posters on this thread feeling the Pre should do otherwise. It's not just a "cell phone", it's a SMARTphone. It does so much more than just a phone and most of whag it does is not dependent exclusively on a cell connection.

    Seems people are butthurt because the OP had the gall to leave Sprint, but that fact is not the point. The point is whether the OP's experience is typical and if so, how to avoid this in the future or how to ensure other users who cannot or choose not to remain with Sprint can still have access to their device.
  20.    #80  
    OP here...and here's the update..

    many thanks first to mrloserpunk for the post of bypass instructions at ...ing Activation - WebOS Internals. Admittingly, the instructions were daunting for me, so I did some more googling based on that post to find that JAR's had already been created with the bypass coding inserted and downloaded that.

    After connecting the PRE and running the JAR file through completion, I was able to connect to my wifi network first, then enter my palm profile information and get validated. Next my purchased 'Classic' app was back and the other freebies that I had downloaded and the device is operational as a PIM, a camera and a music player again.

    This experience shows the benefit of community resources like this forum. Thank you all for your comments, both positive and negative - if nothing else, I've learned some new things and the nice camera is working again too.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions