Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I love my pre!
    O.K. First, I won't laugh at you. It was the sort of thing that could have happened any of us, but, because it happened to you, and we all say, "well, of COURSE it doesn't work, any ***** would know that," but, really, many of us wouldn't. So, thank you for being the beta tester AND for sharing and risking our jibes.

Second, your PIM info should be on google or whichever online resource you used. You can also ask the SPRINT folks to back it up at the store and port it over to a Treo or other phone where such things can be resident. I even got them to do it with my pics (of course, I didn't cancel my account, but...)

As for other stuff... pics, docs, anything you would have put on via the camera or USB connection, here's what you do...

1) Turn off your phone. 2) Hold the volume down rocker button 3) plug in your USB cable and release the rocker button. This should bring the phone itself up to the giant USB symbol, and give you the Pre icon on your desktop. Click to open and pull off your stuff.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Yes, another Brilliant Engineering Effort from Palm.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  4.    #44  
    I am the original poster. Read serveral threads about the hold volume button down, etc. to boot but that does not work - still brings me to the profile screen. I have not yet tried the workaround link that was posted but first let me thank you very much for posting that information - that will be my next try over the weekend.

For all who for whatever reason must know why I 'switched' it's because my work now provides phone and exchange services to me, but they are a blackberry shop only and Pre is not supported, nor is any other device but BB (just figured it would still be nice to use the Pre for my own personal PIM stuff and for the apps that I had paid for, particularly the Classic which would run all my former Palm stuff). We have our choice of Carrier, so I could stay on Sprint but it's not my own account so I can't just ask them to activate a personal device. Hope that puts everyone's questions to rest about that. As for iphone, as I said earlier, I have one, not activated, and it works like an itouch without any carrier service, great apps and it's a work of art, though I read that service on it as a phone is not so good - nevertheless....that's for other forums and threads

onto the PRE: this feels more like a leased piece of equipment than something that I bought, for the way that it works. I did not reset, or anything like that but, after reading all of your comments, it gets me to thinking the following questions:

Do the developers have to have Sprint in order to see if their apps work on the actual device in addition to the emulator? There must be a workaround for them where it's useable without a carrier.

What about future upgrades? If I could get this thing going again, what would happen when an upgrade comes out?

Not throwing daggers to Palm or Pre owners, cause I still am one myself, just hopefully raising awareness so that this doesn't happen to others, and that Palm will change their methodology for the device - guess they have no plans to make a standalone WebOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The is nothing in the law that requires Sprint (or any other carrier) to allow a phone to be unlocked and work with other networks. That's not to say that it isn't done.
    He's not asking for it to work on another network. He's asking for the functions that don't need network access (basic PIM, music player, etc.) to continue to work. There's a big difference. If I paid full price for the phone, of paid the ETF, I don't see where Sprint has any legal right to prevent me from using it off their network.

I think there may well be a class action lawsuit in the making here. For Sprint to tell you that the phone you paid for can't be used for anything unless to continue to pay Sprint forever, could be considered restraint of trade, especially if it wasn't clearly disclosed before the purchse. Off the top of my head, the only other purchased devices I can think of that work this way is are Tivos and satelite TV systems, and they're pretty clear in their disclosures that you need the service for it to work. All the other devices I can think of that require a specific service to be useful tend to be leased or included in the service cost.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    He's not asking for it to work on another network. He's asking for the functions that don't need network access (basic PIM, music player, etc.) to continue to work. There's a big difference. If I paid full price for the phone, of paid the ETF, I don't see where Sprint has any legal right to prevent me from using it off their network.
    Exactly - the OP owns the device now - what right does Sprint have to keep him from it most basic functions?

To the OP - the FCC might be interested in your experience. Check out the Complaint Form on their site. I found them quite responsive in getting me out of an ETF with AT&T.
    This is an interesting subject. I can only assume that if you root the Pre, hack the phone and network settings in the OS as well as having the authentication piece disabled, then it may work in the future. The other way is to run your own server which acts like the sprint service and have the system find that server. How you do that I don't know as I'm not a software developer. Should I leave Sprint in the future, I would like to be able to use the Pre in a Wifi mode. I think some should make that suggestion to Pre as well, so that they can sell more Pre's as people won't sell their phones after they've disconnected their service. My 2 cents. Good luck in finding the solution. Let us know when you've found a way.
    This is interesting. I'm in the same boat as the poster. I just upgraded my wife's line for a Pre and was planning on using it after getting the unit activated. If the unit is activated and put on the airplain mode and never take it off, can the unit potentially be able to function as a PDA? Is rooting the unit the only option at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So far I have not met anyone that has left the Pre for the iphone. I gave up a free iphone with free service for my pre.
    And why would you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by danman_6 View Post
    And why would you do that?
    Because the iphone doesn't offer me anything that interests me that the Pre doesn't, and I don't want to carry around two phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorleto View Post
    I am laughing right along with everyone else, and I am the original poster. This is so pathetic, that it's laughable, and I am so glad to have changed carrier and phone based on this alone. All my old Centros Treos, etc. I can still turn on and use as a PIM at least or get my passwords out of SplashID. To think that the PRE could be designed is boggling to me. Example, have an iphone not activated - I can still use it on Wifi. But with Pre, it asks to log into Palm Profile I know my profile name and password are correct, but it will not go past the screen so long as I don't have a Sprint account anymore. Palm Chat and live rep have confirmed this with me too. Would love a work around at least to delete my data off the device short of a hammer. and even then, isn't some of it residing on their cloud?
    Oh.......k?

Seriously, you chose to cancel Sprint for whatever ungodly reason.
    Don't sit here and blame anyone but yourself for your shortsightedness.

Why would you cancel Sprint?
    For $148 a month we have four phones that, with any mobile, anytime, have UNLIMITED calls/data/text.
    I sound like a damned Sprint service rep, but I just don't get why you would cancel it.
    And your justification for cancelling, which is, "and I am so glad to have changed carrier and phone based on this alone." is utterly ridiculous.

I can find something wrong with EVERYTHING that exists in the world, why would you want to?

Enjoy your $$$ paperweight my friend.
    He said he canceled it because his work uses BB exclusively and pays for his service. But I still don't understand why he can't use a BB on sprint.

Either way, he's better off selling the Pre (although I am very curious as to how his company locks the pre from working with their exchange service and makes it BB only -that shouldn't be possible).
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Oh.......k?

For $148 a month we have four phones that, with any mobile, anytime, have UNLIMITED calls/data/text.
    I sound like a damned Sprint service rep, but I just don't get why you would cancel it.
    And your justification for cancelling, which is, "and I am so glad to have changed carrier and phone based on this alone." is utterly ridiculous.

I can find something wrong with EVERYTHING that exists in the world, why would you want to?

Which completely misses the point that has been made. If you want a future where as soon as your service agreement is up, your phone becomes a paperweight, best of luck to you - nobody else wants it.
    I don't know, if you want a music player, PDA, or wifi internet device, buy a music player, PDA, or wifi internet device.

The Pre is a cell phone, which is currently attached to Sprint. It doesn't matter if it makes cookies or trains puppies, it's still sold as a cell phone.

Sprint (any every other carrier) spends money above and beyond the purchase subsidy to support cell phones they carry contingent on recuperating money from the service they provide; hence the exclusivity of devices on given networks.

Bottom line is you bought a cell phone which requires cellular service to operate. There's nothing deceptive about that.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity (and because I don't think the OP ever said), did the OP call Sprint or Palm to try to rectify the issue?
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    maybe you should read couple post above from op explaination before judging. anyway, op, i feel bad for you. hopfully this will be fixed w/ a future update for all the current user since this will become a problem for all of us.

Oh.......k?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    He said he canceled it because his work uses BB exclusively and pays for his service. But I still don't understand why he can't use a BB on sprint.

Either way, he's better off selling the Pre (although I am very curious as to how his company locks the pre from working with their exchange service and makes it BB only -that shouldn't be possible).
    Return function? lol

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Which completely misses the point that has been made. If you want a future where as soon as your service agreement is up, your phone becomes a paperweight, best of luck to you - nobody else wants it.
    What are you going to use it for? It's a phone with features. Not features with a phone.

It may suck, and I'm sure you can suggest something to palm, but I don't see it as a big deal.

All I have to say is, this phone is completely "web based". It's sold as such. Hell, the name of the os is "webos". It is asinine to think anything otherwise than it needing a connection for EVERYTHING.

Don't cancel your service til youre set with whatever you need.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 09/18/2009 at 12:59 PM.
    The Pre is a very poor PDA - I would suggest a Tungsten T|X or something like that
    What are you going to use it for? It's a phone with features. Not features with a phone.

It may suck, and I'm sure you can suggest something to palm, but I don't see it as a big deal.

All I have to say is, this phone is completely "web based". It's sold as such. Hell, the name of the os is "webos". It is asinine to think anything otherwise than it needing a connection for EVERYTHING.

Don't cancel your service til youre set with whatever you need.
    Just like an iPod Touch, the Pre SHOULD work fine anywhere there is WiFi, with no cell activation. It is a small computer with a Phone. Not the other way around. I use the data and computer features of mine 15 times more than I use the phone portion.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Just like an iPod Touch, the Pre SHOULD work fine anywhere there is WiFi, with no cell activation. It is a small computer with a Phone. Not the other way around. I use the data and computer features of mine 15 times more than I use the phone portion.
    There's a lot of things that SHOULD occur in life, that don't. The best solution is to petition palm to allow this and to always think and be aware before you take an action. Just as you should with every other decision in life.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast