Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Help, I removed the battery from my Pre and now it wont turn on!

:P , just messing with ya.
    Darcy's Law: Q=KA (dh/dl)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Did you reset the phone or something? I have had my Pres disconnected while using other phones and they worked over WIFI just fine. Did you do anything to the phone to end up needing to re-register? This issue made me nervous about WebOS too - and I am also wondering how long my data stays in their CLOUD when I no longer have a Pre and it is not possible to just log onto a web site to delete it??
    God only knows...personal data has a way of hanging around. As long as the network is secure, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    This is ridiculous. The Pre should work without a carrier connection. Are you saying if I go out of service I cannot use wifi to get emails, etc? Oris it that one you cancel your service Sprint does something to "turn off" your phone? I would love to know the answer ti this.
    Iphones?

Once you change carrier... Does Apple want it to work for you? (at least you can jailbreak it)
    OMG, this scenario did not occur to me. I sympathize... because as a previous poster typed - ALL of my previous Palm phones are my handy-dandy-back-up PDAs...

wow... Contact Palm, what do they say... can't Sprint get in trouble with the FTC for not allowing you to 'unlock' (strange for a CDMA phone) the phone...

To the poster said you 'bought' the phone... sort of... highly subsidized...

...what a quandary...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geology View Post
    Help, I removed the battery from my Pre and now it wont turn on!

:P , just messing with ya.
    Help - my Pre's fallen, and it won't get up...

Clap on, clap off...

Have you tried clapping really loud to see if that works to turn if back into a useable device?

All kidding aside, I would agree - these are not leased and should not require a network to function. My concern is how long out of coverage before the phone shutsdown? In other words, if I travel to another country without a CDMA network, roaming agreements, data availailability, I would still expect to be able to use my device as a calendar, camera, media player, storage device, etc.

This is disturbing and I will certainly follow this thread... legally, if this is the case, it should have been disclosed and required sign-off, prior/during purchase.

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    The Pre is an entirely different (and new) operating system than the Palm OS on the Treos. It is designed to work primarily with the Internet, and only with one carrier. It won't work with the WiFi because it's looking for that Sprint account. (It's not the ablility to access it, it's the inablility to get to it). But until Palm opens it up to other carriers, that is the way it is. It's not a design issue, but a marketing useablity issue.

True, you can use an iPhone with WiFi only, but that is the way it was designed to work, since essentially that is how the iPod Touch works. In fact, you have to have the WiFi to load apps, you can't do that over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dcorleto View Post
    I am laughing right along with everyone else, and I am the original poster. This is so pathetic, that it's laughable, and I am so glad to have changed carrier and phone based on this alone. All my old Centros Treos, etc. I can still turn on and use as a PIM at least or get my passwords out of SplashID. To think that the PRE could be designed is boggling to me. Example, have an iphone not activated - I can still use it on Wifi. But with Pre, it asks to log into Palm Profile I know my profile name and password are correct, but it will not go past the screen so long as I don't have a Sprint account anymore. Palm Chat and live rep have confirmed this with me too. Would love a work around at least to delete my data off the device short of a hammer. and even then, isn't some of it residing on their cloud?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    The is nothing in the law that requires Sprint (or any other carrier) to allow a phone to be unlocked and work with other networks. That's not to say that it isn't done.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    Iphones?

Once you change carrier... Does Apple want it to work for you? (at least you can jailbreak it)
    OMG, this scenario did not occur to me. I sympathize... because as a previous poster typed - ALL of my previous Palm phones are my handy-dandy-back-up PDAs...

wow... Contact Palm, what do they say... can't Sprint get in trouble with the FTC for not allowing you to 'unlock' (strange for a CDMA phone) the phone...

To the poster said you 'bought' the phone... sort of... highly subsidized...

...what a quandary...
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    This is ridiculous. The Pre should work without a carrier connection. Are you saying if I go out of service I cannot use wifi to get emails, etc? Oris it that one you cancel your service Sprint does something to "turn off" your phone? I would love to know the answer ti this.

I think they are referring to once you cancel your service with Sprint.
    I know with other Sprint phones after you cancel service WiFi still works but the Pre is like no other phone.
    After initially loving this phone i'm slowly growing to hate it, this may be my last Palm and slider phone.
    As long as you don't do a partial/full erase, or use webOS doctor, you can continue to use a deactivated Pre in Airplane mode while accessing WiFi. I know because I've had to temporarily suspend my account, and my Pre kept working just fine. Just don't, WHATEVER YOU DO, don't do any kind of erase, as that will take you back to the Palm Profile sign in screen, where you MUST have a Sprint EVDO or 1x signal to sign in (unles you use the aforementioned hack over at webos-internals).
    Imagine buying a PC from Acer, HP, or Dell, then having a falling out with Time warner, only to find out the PC is worthless unless you apoligize to Time Warner.

This is absolutley anti-productive, anti-customer, & anti-competitive.
    Thank you
    have someone with sprint activate the phone then type in your info, then put it in airplane mode and deactivate it. Sounds like a hassle but unles you want a 200 dollar paper weight, its worth it.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoAide View Post
    As long as you don't do a partial/full erase, or use webOS doctor, you can continue to use a deactivated Pre in Airplane mode while accessing WiFi. I know because I've had to temporarily suspend my account, and my Pre kept working just fine. Just don't, WHATEVER YOU DO, don't do any kind of erase, as that will take you back to the Palm Profile sign in screen, where you MUST have a Sprint EVDO or 1x signal to sign in (unles you use the aforementioned hack over at webos-internals).
    exactly.

now, perhaps palm should add a "use without activation" option to that initial login screen.
    The difference here is that you still have an account with Sprint, and the original poster does not. Even though your's is suspended, it still there and accessible. His is not. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoAide View Post

I'm dying to know which service you switched to that's better and cheaper.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    It's not just an account thing. Suppose I keep my Sprint "account" but want to switch to a different phone? Can't I still use the Pre to listen to music, surf over wifi, access my calendar do email (over wifi of course)? Seems that the Pre should not have to be activated to be used in some fashion.
    I know, I am just wondering why they switched from sprint.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I assumed was for the iPhone. Isn't it always?
    So far I have not met anyone that has left the Pre for the iphone. I gave up a free iphone with free service for my pre.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    $600. Paper weigh
    no one told you to switch sprint!
    Quadruple+ lol
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast