1.    #1  
    Bell Canada offers a $7/month 12 month minimum all perils warranty (I didn't ask specifically about lost phones) that seems to be like Sprint's. The vendor where I'll probably buy the phone (kiosk at COSTCO) sells a third party repair warranty for $50 for 3 years. They specifically exclude damage due to water, drops etc. I asked about the cracked screen history and was told that it's the technician's call -they can tell between manf defect and user's abuse. If no claim is made after three years you get your $$ back.

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    If you get the Bell insurance, they don't guarantee you they will give you another Pre, if your phone breaks. In other words, they can give you a Blackberry if they want.

The Costco $50 deal looks to me very rubbish, especially that Future Shop charge $10/month to replace your phone with an identical one (water and battery issues covered). I would certainly not pay the $50, they offer the actual Pre repair/exchange that you are entitled to get it for free in the first year. Plus, after one year, you would not care anymore about your phone like you do now.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    If you get the Bell insurance, they don't guarantee you they will give you another Pre, if your phone breaks. In other words, they can give you a Blackberry if they want.

The Costco $50 deal looks to me very rubbish, especially that Future Shop charge $10/month to replace your phone with an identical one (water and battery issues covered). I would certainly not pay the $50, they offer the actual Pre repair/exchange that you are entitled to get it for free in the first year. Plus, after one year, you would not care anymore about your phone like you do now.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  4.    #4  
    Didn't know that about Bell. The COSTCO kiosk is giving and excellent discount on the Pre (don't think Future Shop is) and if the repair is >75% ov the value, they will replace it with a new (current) Pre
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayintoronto View Post
    Bell Canada offers a $7/month 12 month minimum all perils warranty...
    Wow, I'm always blown away by warranty costs on electronics. If you buy the phone through Bell, you're looking at a price $199. $7 is 3.5% of that.

That would be the same as paying $1050/month for insurance on a $30K car.

Yikes.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Didn't know that about Bell. The COSTCO kiosk is giving and excellent discount on the Pre (don't think Future Shop is) and if the repair is >75% ov the value, they will replace it with a new (current) Pre
    There is no repair policy with Palm Pre. In other words, Palm does not authorize a repair center to perform any repairs or modifications. Instead, they request to have the phone sent and a replacement is shipped back. That works regardless if you are a customer or actual retailer. If the phone is sent by a retailer and is not actually defective, they will charge the retailer a $150 replacement fee.

So, when the Costco guy tells you he will repair the Pre, he is selling you salads. IF he does anything to the hone, he will void the warranty.

What is the price Costco is selling the Pre? I know that on launch date, Future Shop was selling the Pre for $200 + $100 worth of free Pre accessories.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  7.    #7  
    it's not COSTCO Per Ce; I think the vendor rents space and uses COSTCO payment process. It was $199-150, now it's -100
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    You are telling me that the phone is sold for $100 and activated to Bell network? That is impossible. BTW, Bell has exclusivity for the first 6 months only. After that, other players might pop in, Telus is probably the next retailer to get it.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    So if I bought my Pre through Bell, can I go to Future Shop and buy a warranty through them, or does it have to be bought from the same place that you got your phone?
  10.    #10  
    Floren, I spoke with BellMobiilty HQ and told them about the COSTCO deal and they indicated I could activate a plan with them and buy the hardware at the COSTCO kiosk. The kiosk said the same thing.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    That actually sounds correct.

I got my Pre through KitCom, who manages our corporate account. I also believe they have kiosks at various places.

Although they aren't Bell, they have a business relationship with them.

Not sure of the firm running the booth at Costco, but likely a similar arrangement.
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Wow, I'm always blown away by warranty costs on electronics. If you buy the phone through Bell, you're looking at a price $199. $7 is 3.5% of that.

That would be the same as paying $1050/month for insurance on a $30K car.

Yikes.
    Well if you consider that replacing the phone would cost $600 canadian and you pay $7 per month for lets say 2 years.. thats still 1/4 of the replacement cost of the phone. I'd rather be in the situation where I say dropped my phone and it shattered or forget it in a lounge or something.. call up Bell .. pay 150 bucks deductable and get a replacement Pre.. as opposed to paying 600 plus tax for a replacement Pre. I mean $7 bucks a month is two coffees at Starbucks.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    For sure Weaser - entirely your choice, and its definitely convenient.

I've just found that electronics warranties are out of whack if you look at the percentages. I actually didn't realize there was a deductable, which makes it worse.

You only gain from this type of thing if you destroy your phone early on. If the phone tanks at close to 2 years down the line, you've paid $168 in monthly fees by that time, and the deductable you mention makes the replacement cost $318. You might be eligible for a hardware upgrade anyway at that point, or, the phone will likely drop in price by then.

And, if your phone is fine for 2 years, you just paid $168 extra for it. That's almost the full cost of the phone @ $199, and I think the price just dropped in Canada.

The fact is that paid warranties are a way to make money. Bell isn't offering it to be nice, they offer it because it is profitable.

I'm just not a fan.

Watch, my phone will be destroyed next week!
    Yeah, it's a gamble. The reason I chose the warranty was because of hearing about all the problems people were having with their Pre phones. The deductible is only when it isn't a mfg defect. If the Palm Pre was around for a few years and quality control was up to snuff, then I would have forgone the warranty. The thing which is nice with the warranty is that you can stop it at any time. There is no minimum according to my sales rep at Bell. Unfortunately if you do decide to stop the insurance, then you can't resume it again afterwards.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Floren, I spoke with BellMobiilty HQ and told them about the COSTCO deal and they indicated I could activate a plan with them and buy the hardware at the COSTCO kiosk. The kiosk said the same thing.
    I believe you. It is just hard to understand why Costo would sell the phone for $100? That is the only part I'm confused. Does anyone else paid $100 for the actual phone?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I believe you. It is just hard to understand why Costo would sell the phone for $100? That is the only part I'm confused. Does anyone else paid $100 for the actual phone?
    I'll let you know if I do it. Last week it was $49 for the phone!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Same for me - $49 for the phone on a 3 yr plan.