Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I was at costco today, and i was at my car trying to load up my stuff. Then a couple of guys pulled up asking me if I want to buy a particular surround sound system. I was semi-interested, and he pulled in next to my parking spot.

So he started talking to me how he had these extra units, and how his boss wanted him to just sell them off because they are just extra bulk in their inventory, he told me that this system is a Dolby 2.0 digital surround sound system.

He showed us the box, and the UPC code that was clearly marked $2999.99, but the unit's picture looked like a Walgreens 49.99 radio set with extra eye candy.

So my friend bargained with him and wanted us to pay $800 dollars, but we brought him down to $200 and he was very precise that he wanted cash and not check, because he wanted something quick and easy.

So we go back into costco to access the ATM, and at the same time I whipped out my Pre and started looking up this unit called Paramax P-509, the browser sprung into action and it brought me to a RIPOFF Report website Ripoff Report: Custom Audio-Chris Tedesco Paramax P-509 Speaker Scam Scottsdale Arizona and it replicated everything I just went through, minus us giving money of course.

So as they bolted out of the parking after we refused them, I managed to jot down the licenses plate number using the notes, look up the local police department, call to make report, and managed to switch back and forth between my notes and the website, plus take additional notes during the call. Personally, I don't think I would've been able to get all this done without the help of WebOS to be honest.

So that's how I managed to fight crime with my Palm Pre. Hope you enjoyed and were enlightened by my experience.
    Funny story but it's also kinda funny that you guys almost fell for it, lol. We have tons of those con artists down here that prey on people in parking lots. I usually laugh at them and they leave.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Funny story but it's also kinda funny that you guys almost fell for it, lol. We have tons of those con artists down here that prey on people in parking lots. I usually laugh at them and they leave.
    Well I was just curious with what they had, but from the get go, I didn't really expect to fall for someone selling products on the street.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Um...you DO realize how many people this hits right??? This isn't people being GULLIBLE! This is scam artists being SMART and doing what works. Most people are too ashamed to talk about how they got ripped off so it takes a LOT longer for people to find out.

I'd just ask that you be a bit more sensitive to the fact that it's not a victim's fault that they're trusting, it's the criminal's fault for being a dillhole.
    ^^LOL! Are you serious? These criminals prey on suckers and 'bargain' hunters. How legit can someone selling a sound system from the back of a van or truck in a parking lot be? If that isn't a case for 'buyer beware' I don't know what is.

Anyway OP, I'm not singling you out here. In the end you didn't fall for it. My comment was meant to poke fun more than anything else.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Of course this is nothing compared with what the iPhone can do so I am told
    Comics - Explosm.net
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    That's an Arizona thing. I lived their for 2 years and these guys tried to get me twice. First time they got me going into my work in Gilbert and caused me to be late with their shenanigans, but I was poor so they left anyways. I found out it was a scam later that day and a couple months later they pulled up to me in Tempe at the Mills. I pretended to be interested while I slowly copied down their license plate number then said sorry I have no money and sent em on their way, shortly after to be jailed :P

Gotta watch out for those guys, it's huge out there.
    I think this scam is pretty common. Ive ran into guys in a white van in the Philly suburbs doing the same exact thing multiple times, as well as my friends.

They were selling 'high end tower speakers' Same exact story.
    This type of thing is so common where I live and everyone knows about it you may as well consider it a legitimate business lol.

I don't condone this type of trickery, but I'd be a hypocrit to say this was a jailable offense considering my old job at radioshack required me to push monster cables. I must have ripped hundreds of customers off for thousands of dollars during my time there lol.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    That's an Arizona thing. I lived their for 2 years and these guys tried to get me twice. First time they got me going into my work in Gilbert and caused me to be late with their shenanigans, but I was poor so they left anyways. I found out it was a scam later that day and a couple months later they pulled up to me in Tempe at the Mills. I pretended to be interested while I slowly copied down their license plate number then said sorry I have no money and sent em on their way, shortly after to be jailed :P

It maybe an Arizona thing, but it happened here in South San Francisco. I don't know what possessed me to tell him "what you got?", but at least I got the license plate number. I was just happy that I had the Pre with me, because it pulled up the website really quickly for me, and made it a lot easier for me to find out that this was indeed a scam, even though I wasn't interested as soon as I saw the box.

I mean come on, no high quality selling device will have a price tag on the UPC code. Bose, Logitech and Sony doesn't do that, because everyone knows that technology prices always fluctuates; therefore do not print price tags on the UPC code.

I really I hope I did some damage and put those bastards to jail before they scam someone else. And luckily for me, I go to Engadget (and other sites) everyday knowing what are the leading brands.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deusofhearts View Post
    This type of thing is so common where I live and everyone knows about it you may as well consider it a legitimate business lol.

I don't condone this type of trickery, but I'd be a hypocrit to say this was a jailable offense considering my old job at radioshack required me to push monster cables. I must have ripped hundreds of customers off for thousands of dollars during my time there lol.
    Monster cable is evil!!! However you were just a salesman forcefully recommending Monster Cable, because it's a retail store, that's what they do. Otherwise, people who do their research will know that Monster Cable is not only over prices, but ridiculously evil in everyway. I mean come on, sewing a family owned name "Monster Mini Golf" because it potentially "driven sales away from Monster Cables and causes their customers confusion."
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    It maybe an Arizona thing, but it happened here in South San Francisco. I don't know what possessed me to tell him "what you got?", but at least I got the license plate number. I was just happy that I had the Pre with me, because it pulled up the website really quickly for me, and made it a lot easier for me to find out that this was indeed a scam, even though I wasn't interested as soon as I saw the box.

I mean come on, no high quality selling device will have a price tag on the UPC code. Bose, Logitech and Sony doesn't do that, because everyone knows that technology prices always fluctuates; therefore do not print price tags on the UPC code.

I really I hope I did some damage and put those bastards to jail before they scam someone else. And luckily for me, I go to Engadget (and other sites) everyday knowing what are the leading brands.
    Bose and high quality in the same paragraph??? It all makes sense to me now
    I'm confused why you started dealing with them, anyway. It's obviously a scam; you didn't need your phone to tell you that.

Good... job I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post

Definitely not just an Arizona thing. I've had people try that on me in Kentucky. It goes on all over the US. This is what happens when Americans try to run 419's.
    I read the link above....

I'm slow on this one, how does the scam work exactly?

nvm, got it.

overpriced electronics heavily marked up
    Last edited by trim81; 09/17/2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Good story

Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    ...And luckily for me, I go to Engadget (and other sites) everyday knowing what are the leading brands...
    When it comes to electronics, I certainly don't go on the advice of websites... I use my own ears and eyes to make those decisions... At the moment Onkyo and Samsung treat me well
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I don't see what the crime is. The only thing I can think of is soliciting without a license, if they don't have a license.

Trying to sell cheap crap at hugely inflated prices is not illegal. If it was then Bose would be in jail.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Palm Pre: Help Take a Bite out of Crime - Ruff!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I don't see what the crime is. The only thing I can think of is soliciting without a license, if they don't have a license.
    Good point. Maybe fraud, depending on what their claims were re the merchandise. (Good luck proving that though.)
    No, it's the victims' fault for being morons that don't realize that someone offering "extra inventory" at a discount is probably a scam. In my opinion, if the idiots in the parking lot are stupid enough to fall for such a scam, the police should laugh in their faces and do nothing to help them--a fool and his money are soon parted.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast