Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Long time Palm lover. My love affair with Palm started with the Treo 600 and ended with the 700. Thought the 600 was good until I bought the 650. The phone part sucked but I had for the first time in the "Palm" of my hand literally thousands of apps. Custom Roms. Games out the ***. Emulators TG16, NES, SNES, Genesis, GG, Mame, ScummVM. Movies for the first time. Documents to go. Music. Most were created by the homebrew community. Got the Pre yesterday and it does a lot of really nice things. Love Pandora. SprintTV's cool, GPS is nice, Webos blows away anything the Treo and my girlfriend's G1 ever had, integration with Google is nice. Love the hardware. Don't see a killer app. Does a phone need a killer app? I know its early but I looked and looked last night to see whats coming out and I'm disappointed.
  2. lvd
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    uh, the app store hasn't even been launched yet. try looking for a "killer app" again when its out of beta (rumored for sept 24th)
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Dude, if you want "killer apps" then don't be an early adopter. Geez.

Take your pre back immediately, and get an iphone.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
    Webos blows away anything the Treo and my girlfriend's G1 ever had.
    I want you to think about this.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post

Save your sarcasm for someone else. I don't expect a launch with a full library of programs. I do expect to see previews of hot new apps in development somewhere on the net.
    BTW, I appreciate you trying to help in my last post but your information was incorrect and I had to stay on the phone with Sprint support for an extra hour getting everything straightened out.
  6. lvd
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    have you looked at the homebrew catalog? the palm app store is skin and bones at this point. install preware and you'll have access to 225+ homebrew apps.
    Well, it's all new hardware, its a totally new operating system that was barely done when the phone was released. Stuff like this takes time. Remember the iPhone... the first year was nothing but web apps, it took an entire year until they finally launched the AppStore and the cool apps came coming. Also remember, the SDK is in it's early stages yet, and webOS doesn't yet allow for much access to the hardware which makes 3d games that you see on the iPhone a dream until the SDK gets some more help.

All in good time my friend. Unlike Apple, Palm doesn't have deep pockets, they are fighting for their survival, so no doubt, resources are nowhere near as plentiful as what Apple has.

Palm stays on the ball though, things are starting to move and soon we'll have a lot more fun playing with our Pres!
    Quote Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
    Save your sarcasm for someone else. I don't expect a launch with a full library of programs. I do expect to see previews of hot new apps in development somewhere on the net.
    BTW, I appreciate you trying to help in my last post but your information was incorrect and I had to stay on the phone with Sprint support for an extra hour getting everything straightened out.
    Look at NaNplayer. GPS based play lists are awesome. You walk into the gym and it start playing your workout list. You are school studying and bam...study music. At your girlfriends place, and out comes the Barry White....

Also, remember that a lot of the professional production apps are still waiting in the wings until the App Catalog comes out of beta. I know Lexi-Comp is releasing some awesome medical software that I am very interested in.
    Very true MannyZ28! It does take time, as it had been the case with iPhone at the beginning... But, you have to realize one really important thing. Today's customers (including myself) are spoiled brats - they expect more from their favorite toy and they want in now. Palm should've been more prepared in this regard, after all, they are fighting the giant Apple who was always recognized as a pioneer in the inventive technology. Now, for the first time ever the iPhone has a real competitor and if Palm doesn't pick it up with their software support, i.e. apps, they gonna loose a lot of potential customers. Automatically, that means less money for them and less interest shown on behalf of the independent developers. And that's bad for all of us...
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts

I agree! Go be a 'follower'....

But look over your list at how cool the Pre is & tell me again that you're disappointed... in what??? getting a 1st release phone with COMPLETELY new OS???

You do realize that Palm has done this before right???? They left an old OS for the PalmOS - now look at where THAT ended!! With HOW MANY 'KILLER APPS' ?????

If you don't like it, you should just wait... now is just the start of AWESOME.
    For the millionth time on this forum for those who seem to not want to listen: we are disappointed because Palm had the technology, hardware, apps in the palm of their hands (sorry); it's disappointing because as the previous poster said we are spoiled not by Apple but by Palm. Why should I expect less than what I had with my Centro or Treo 650. The logic (?) some people use doesn't make any sense.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonne09 View Post
    Very true MannyZ28! It does take time, as it had been the case with iPhone at the beginning... But, you have to realize one really important thing. Today's customers (including myself) are spoiled brats - they expect more from their favorite toy and they want in now. Palm should've been more prepared in this regard, after all, they are fighting the giant Apple who was always recognized as a pioneer in the inventive technology. Now, for the first time ever the iPhone has a real competitor and if Palm doesn't pick it up with their software support, i.e. apps, they gonna loose a lot of potential customers. Automatically, that means less money for them and less interest shown on behalf of the independent developers. And that's bad for all of us...
    They aren't really fighting apple. They are fighting Android, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile for market share that Apple hasn't taken.

And I think, compared to those, that they are doing quite well. Once the App Catalog comes out of beta, I think you'll see a ton more apps. Right now you just have apps that people are willing to give away for free. What serious developer really wants to do that?

While the phone is somewhat hamstrung by a somewhat limited SDK, at least there IS an SDK. Palm is trying to do things the right way as opposed to doing things the convenient way, and that's going to pay dividends for everyone - developers, consumers and provider - as hardware matures and new platforms are released even on different carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    They aren't really fighting apple. They are fighting Android, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile for market share that Apple hasn't taken.
    This statement is right on the money. WebOS is bridging the gap between BlackBerry and Apple quite well in my view. Apple would have to do something really stupid to lose market share, and they don't do things like that history shows. The biggest threat will be from Andriod based devices released in the next year or so.
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    You seem to like pandora. That's a "killer app"
    Quote Originally Posted by pgvelez View Post
    For the millionth time on this forum for those who seem to not want to listen: we are disappointed because Palm had the technology, hardware, apps in the palm of their hands (sorry); it's disappointing because as the previous poster said we are spoiled not by Apple but by Palm. Why should I expect less than what I had with my Centro or Treo 650. The logic (?) some people use doesn't make any sense.
    So a brand new phone with a brand new OS should have all the apps of the previous OS that's been around for years? Who's logic did you say doesn't make sense?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Lack of research before buying usually results in disappointment. That's my opinion.

As a former Palm and WinMo user I knew what I was getting into before I decided to get the Pre. I knew that the new WebOS is in its early stage and that it would have some bugs here and there. I knew that there would be limited apps available. But I also knew that the UI is pretty, web surfing on it would be a delight and multitasking is one of its strengths.

I love my Pre. It serves me well. I am also excited on what will become of this gizmo. The future looks bright.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    New Pre owner here also.

You got a brand new phone sporting some sweet new technology.

A new version of the OS should be arrivinng soon with the full blown app store.

Give it some time to see how how the Pre developes!
    How long does the "early adopter" tag last?

If it wasn't for Homebrews and tweaks I would be very dispointed with the phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Lack of research before buying usually results in disappointment. That's my opinion.

As a former Palm and WinMo user I knew what I was getting into before I decided to get the Pre. I knew that the new WebOS is in its early stage and that it would have some bugs here and there. I knew that there would be limited apps available. But I also knew that the UI is pretty, web surfing on it would be a delight and multitasking is one of its strengths.

I love my Pre. It serves me well. I am also excited on what will become of this gizmo. The future looks bright.
    Exactly. You don't automatically buy a phone assuming it will do everything you want it to do without reading something about it. I mean these forums were buzzing for quite some time now. I'm not sure why everyone is ragging on Palm regarding apps when the phone is barely out the door.. the app complaint is just getting old. There's over 200 apps already on homebrew and it's extremely easy to set up filecoaster to access them. PLUS classic which emulates a bunch of older apps. uhhh I don't like this phone because it doesn't wipe my @ss for me. I can understand wanting apps that appeared on an older phone, but if people don't have any patience to wait for something on a brand new device.. then why buy it in the first place???
    I corrected the thread title to match the question that you were asking.

-Craig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast