Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I'm sick and tired of constantly switching on/off various power-hungry features like GPS/location services, push e-mail, bluetooth, wifi, screen brightness, and data roaming to suit my needs throughout the day.

So here's my idea...

POWER PROFILER!

Why not design an app that allows us to select certain preset "profiles," and then allow us to create our own CUSTOM PROFILES???

The two ends of the spectrum would look something like this:

"MAX PERFORMANCE"
    - GPS ON
    - Auto Locate ON
    - Background Data Collection ON
    - Bluetooth ON
    - Wifi ON
    - Email fetch set to PUSH
    - Data roam ON
    - Screen brightness FULL

"BATTERY SAVER"
    - GPS OFF
    - Auto Locate OFF
    - Background Data Collection OFF
    - Bluetooth OFF
    - Wifi OFF
    - Email fetch set to MANUAL
    - Data roam OFF
    - Screen brightness MINIMUM

Any number of customizable profiles users could create in between. For example, I'd probably make a "road trip" profile that would look like this:

"ROAD TRIP"
    - GPS ON
    - Auto Locate ON
    - Background Data Collection OFF
    - Bluetooth ON
    - Wifi OFF
    - Email fetch set to MANUAL
    - Data roam ON
    - Screen brightness FULL
    (A similar "Night driving" mode would have this at minimum)

Bonus ideas:
    - Have the option to save certain "profiles" to the launcher, so we don't even have to open the app!
    - Others have suggested incorporating GPS option so radios switch on/off depending on my location... obviously GPS would have to be ON the whole time, but hey- could be cool too.

Whatchu think? The Palm Pre is SCREAMING for an app like this! Just about EVERYONE would use it!
    Last edited by vara411; 10/22/2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Dude I was just wishing I had something like this today. I want BT off at work, wireless off, roaming only on, etc. If I could customize something that would toggle these different features on and off, it would be a great app.
    This is a good idea. I would use, and likely pay for such an app.
    This would be great, I just wish that I had the ability to make such an application.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    +1+1+1+1
    +1 here here i could you an app like that for sure that would be sweet
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Great to see some early enthusiasm for this... devs, please drop me a PM... I'd like to bounce some more ideas with you.
    Too bad most of the battery drainage occurs from poor signal areas, and not so much pulling emails/GPS. Now, what we REALLY need is a way to have VoIP via wifi (like the way T-Mobile does it on some phones via UMA)...that would be killer. OR - at least have the EVDO switch to 1x when connected to wifi (and stay connected even if the display is off).
    I would love to see an app like this including the ability to automatically switch to different power profiles based on time-of-day/day-of-week and/or GPS location.
    Okay, here's my 2 cents. I can probably make this app, but the problem is I really don't have a lot of time between work, school, and my other app. If this was something I could eventually sell in the app store, I could justify taking some time away from work to do it. But its not. Unfortunately, all of the calls I'm using for my brightness and toggle apps are all technically "undocumented api's" which means the app is not able to be considered for the app store. I know this sucks for homebrew stuff, but I just don't have the time to do this without being able to make some money off it. Sorry .
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Great Idea! I would definitely pay for such an app.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    I just don't have the time to do this without being able to make some money off it. Sorry .
    Why not say upfront there will be a $5-10 charge for the app....people will be more inclined to buy/try it if you are clear that its a "paid" app. If you get into the mandatory donation concept then people get annoyed.

just be upfront about it and it will sell...imop

if you do go forward with it then timed profile changes would be sweet.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Why not say upfront there will be a $5-10 charge for the app....people will be more inclined to buy/try it if you are clear that its a "paid" app. If you get into the mandatory donation concept then people get annoyed.

just be upfront about it and it will sell...imop

if you do go forward with it then timed profile changes would be sweet.
    Yeah, I'd pay $5-10 for an app that did this. I paid whatever MyTether cost and I haven't even used it. I'd use this a lot though.
    Okay, so let's say...
    First release has "Max Performance", "Battery Saver", and 1 "Custom" profile. Available settings are the ones listed in the first post.
    Second update adds "time of day" scheduling.
    Third update adds multiple "Custom" profiles.
    After that, the other mentioned features will be added when they can (change profile based on gps data, add launcher shortcuts for profiles, day of week scheduling).

Time between releases would average somewhere around 2 weeks (depending on classes/work).

Would people be willing to pay $10 for this?
    Okay, so let's say...
    First release has "Max Performance", "Battery Saver", and 1 "Custom" profile. Available settings are the ones listed in the first post.
    Second update adds "time of day" scheduling.
    Third update adds multiple "Custom" profiles.
    After that, the other mentioned features will be added when they can (change profile based on gps data, add launcher shortcuts for profiles, day of week scheduling).

Time between releases would average somewhere around 2 weeks (depending on classes/work).

vara411, this is all assuming you're ok with me doing this. It's your app idea, I'm not gonna try and steal it from you.
    Can you make it run in the dashboard like your brightness app? This would be one of those must have utility apps. Had one similar on Win Mobile and it was ALWAYS the first thing I installed/ran.

I like to turn off BT, WIFI, sounds, etc at 11pm. That's at least 6 presses and a switch flip to do all that when it could be totally automated as a "service" then to repeat turning it all back on at 8am. EVERY DAY.

Add me to the buyer list.
    I used to use a Palm OS app called "Power Hero" that did several of the same things. It also contained a graph that showed how much power your phone was using at any given time.
    sounds great!!...something I miss from my blackberry...can we get a roam only option?....that roam only tweek from quickinstall helps me out in those sprint dead zones....
    For me, I'd pay $5, but probably no more.

Choosing a price point is a tricky business. The more you lower your price, the more people will buy it, but if you cut the price in half, it's only worth it if you get at least twice as many buyers. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Also, FYI, I've already seen a couple of apps that required an activation code, so it wouldn't be difficult to enforce your price, even if it was strictly in the homebrew repos.
    if its clean, neat, and professional feeling/looking, Id personally pay $20-30 for such an app. Remember folks, software is bought once and used forever. One such as this can give enough extended function to allow you to retain your stock battery versus an oversized extended battery that also doesnt work with the touchstone... The way I see it, if I dont need to carry a spare for my workday, or I can avoid going to a bigger battery, then the software is easily worth the cost of a battery which is ~$35, so at $20 it would be a bargain IMO!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast