Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    if its clean, neat, and professional feeling/looking, Id personally pay $20-30 for such an app.
    You see that? That's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

He's willing to pay up to $30. At $30, a lot of people like me would pass, because the functionality isn't that important to me. The tough part for you as a developer hoping to make a buck, is figuring out at what price you get the best profit. He's willing to pay 7 times as much as me. If you price it that high and only get 1/10 the customers, it was a bad price point. However, if you price it 7 times as high and still sell half as many copies as you would have at $5, you made a great call, and made a lot more money.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    it isnt worth more than $.99 to me. all it really is, is putting everything into one card. not that advanced, just very useful.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    vara411, this is all assuming you're ok with me doing this. It's your app idea, I'm not gonna try and steal it from you.
    Just sent you a PM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    vara411, this is all assuming you're ok with me doing this. It's your app idea, I'm not gonna try and steal it from you.
    I would be willing to pay $10 for this app.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'd be willing to pay at least $10 for an app like this, providing that -

a) custom profile
    b) control volume(s)
    c) scheduling

Cheers,

-JerryG

PS/FWIW - I bought Power Hero for my Treo 755p.
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Power Hero for Palm OS was the heat, it took my Centro from 7-8 hours of battery to 12-14 of hours of battery with just the signal monitor alone.
    I love the idea of this app, however I'm a graduate student and starvingly poor. I can prove it, I can send you my tax return. I'd be a beta tester for this app instead of dropping $10 I don't have on it.

Or I can ask for this app for my birthday. Along with some new boxers/socks.

p.s: seriously though, if this app somehow had a setting whereby after the phone had slept for longer than 3 minutes, it would revert to super battery saver mode automatically, I'd pay $1 for it.

Not that it wouldn't be worth more, of course.

But this app is so helpful.....why wouldn't everybody want it? So if everybody wants it, and you only charge $1, then you make...what....$1 million+ over the life of the pre. If you charge $10, even if everybody wants it, most people won't buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by phanste View Post
    I love the idea of this app, however I'm a graduate student and starvingly poor. I can prove it, I can send you my tax return. I'd be a beta tester for this app instead of dropping $10 I don't have on it.

Or I can ask for this app for my birthday. Along with some new boxers/socks.

p.s: seriously though, if this app somehow had a setting whereby after the phone had slept for longer than 3 minutes, it would revert to super battery saver mode automatically, I'd pay $1 for it.

Not that it wouldn't be worth more, of course.

But this app is so helpful.....why wouldn't everybody want it? So if everybody wants it, and you only charge $1, then you make...what....$1 million+ over the life of the pre. If you charge $10, even if everybody wants it, most people won't buy it.
    Heh. I'm a college student, and also poor, which is why I don't have a whole lot of time to work on this. Also, the charge $1, make $1million+ doesn't really apply. It can't be sold in the app store.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    How about GPS geolocating? Automatically turn on "Office" mode when I get within a mile of my office, etc
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ayman86 View Post
    it isnt worth more than $.99 to me. all it really is, is putting everything into one card. not that advanced, just very useful.
    Missed this the first time around...

[RANT]
    No offense, but ARE YOU a developer? I don't think so. I was. I spent 3 years building a multi-user, human resources system. I still do utility programs/scripts, on OpenVMS, Solaris, Linux, and Windows.

Take note - Many times, what appears simple on the surface, has quite a complex mechanism behind the scenes. Just like your Pre, or - a mechanical watch. Scheduling different profiles automatically, is not a facility built into WebOS. Custom-made...

Isn't that a little MORE than simply "putting everything into one card"? Lets see YOUR killer app or utility.
    [/RANT]

Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    haha! perfect! Love you Jerry.

I have no ability what-so-ever to code. I did some simple scripting way back when in IRC clients, some BASIC C++ and MATLAB. I have major respect for software developers.

Its not as easy as people think, and it can take huge amounts of time to frame-out a system. Keeping it clean, neat, simple, and getting all the little nuances right is a huge PITA. 'make it run in the dashboard' has proven quite a large challenge to many Devs - which to me means 'location based services' would be something else altogether. Especially considering you'd have to define some size envelope around a user, and add error checking to see if its a location fix or cell tower fix, and then work from there. No doubt there will be users who want certain modes to enable after a certain time based upon which room they're in! I mean, damn.. it can get pretty heavy. Hence my willingness to pay for a well made app.

$1 a million times obviously doesnt make one a millionaire, there are costs involved with development, and the skim taken off the top by the distributor if it goes into the catalog. Support, updates, and service aren't cheap either to provide!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    @phreakish - thanks back at ya!

It's a pleasure to "meet" someone with knowledge of the situation.

There are way too many others out there who cause sys admins to dream of typing -

$ rm -Rf /home/luser

Cheers,

-JerryG
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Seriously the above posts drive people away and drive me crazy. I don't think anyone is not willing to pay for a good app. However, the value that app has to each individual is not the same.

Sure it takes a lot of time to program/design an app. I have dabbled myself and I know how difficult it can be. But for simplicity sake, the app in question does little more than automate a process that the end user can do themselves if they are not lazy. It's not some special rocket fuel. It's 89 octane gas that I can get down the street that I have to pump myself versus the same gas slightly more expensive but I don't have to pump it myself.

How much would I personally be willing to pay? $5 tops due to being lazy. Any more than that and I would just pay less and pump it myself.... Lets not kid ourselves. If you take a low level application that does very basic tasks that the end user can do themselves and charge $10-$20, how much would a far more sophisticated app such as Pandora be worth..assuming it wasn't free?

Keep the price inline with the applications abilities is all I am saying.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Let's bring up this thread, this is really a must-have app!
    What I really need is a scheduled profile switching, especially to switch radion and data off for the night.
    Atomatic profile switching on calender event would be also nice.

Already found here Battery Saver app thread. But still, profile switching would be great.
    I'd brought up this same app idea in another thread and see you guys have speced it out already. A couple of my other ideas came up late in the thread.

Auto set profile by location is a great one. Work and home would almost always use the same settings. Could it auto turn on bluetooth if moving faster then x mph or moved more then x distance in last x minutes?

if you turn off gps at work how does it know you are leaving work?

Since the point of this is battery savings, it's hard to put a value on it, but I'd certainly be happy to pony up for it if it where in the $2 to $5 range.

I sure hope you can make this happen as it would be truly useful.

Also, is it possible to have wifi stay on/connected while device is asleep (screen off?) or better, come on every x minutes? I turn data off and wifi on at work, but in that state when phone is asleep it doesn't get emails.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
    Too bad most of the battery drainage occurs from poor signal areas, and not so much pulling emails/GPS. Now, what we REALLY need is a way to have VoIP via wifi (like the way T-Mobile does it on some phones via UMA)...that would be killer. OR - at least have the EVDO switch to 1x when connected to wifi (and stay connected even if the display is off).
    X2

Like the OP's idea! I'd pay for it.
    To be quite blunt can't see *many* people realistically paying more than 5$ for this type of application... I would also take what people say they are willing to pay on here as a grain of salt.

An easier sell would be is if this were packaged with more system-type utilities to make peoples lives easier using the pre I would think.

Times have changed, the amount of people purchasing apps is much larger than it was years ago.. but they also are much less willing to spend "pc application" price for something... the day of 20$ utils is for the most part fading away unless it is something quite extraordinary...
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    check the homebrew catalog there is an application called quick system tasks it works great in turning on and off features easily such as gps, bluetooth, wifi and data...works well for me as of now
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Makinola View Post
    check the homebrew catalog there is an application called quick system tasks it works great in turning on and off features easily such as gps, bluetooth, wifi and data...works well for me as of now
    I downloaded it immediately and it's a great start but rather limited. I want customizable PROFILES that I can tailor to my own daily needs.

C'mon, is NO ONE taking up this idea? I'd gladly donate $10 to have access to an app like this, more if it incorporates GPS access. Hell, I'd pay up front! (I'm also a themer and was "promised" many donations, so I know what it's like... )
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vara411 View Post
    I downloaded it immediately and it's a great start but rather limited. I want customizable PROFILES that I can tailor to my own daily needs.

C'mon, is NO ONE taking up this idea? I'd gladly donate $10 to have access to an app like this, more if it incorporates GPS access. Hell, I'd pay up front! (I'm also a themer and was "promised" many donations, so I know what it's like... )
    Please browse the thread for QST. The author is working on profiles within this app. And that littlle satellite icon toggles GPS on/off.

Regards,
    -JerryG
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast