Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering how using the Centro battery in the Pre has worked out for people in practice. Whether you've had problems or not, it'd be helpful to know how long you used (or have been using) the Centro battery. It'd also be helpful to have the same info for the extended Centro battery.

Please note:

I'm aware that Palm "recommends" not using the Centro battery in the Pre. I'm aware that they have a memo out on this.

I'm aware that PreCentral has endorsed Palm's "recommendation."

In short, I'm aware of the controversy, and I'm simply looking for user experiences after three-plus months.
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

I do not have any experience using the Centro battery in the Pre, but I do have some clarification on why to not use one.

- The battery does not have the chip in it that shuts the phone down when too hot. There is a heat sensor in the battery, and that data is stored in the phone.

- The battery may work fine, but I do not feel it is worth the risks, but more power to those who have it working just fine.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre on day one and used a centro battery since day two and my phone is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I do not have any experience using the Centro battery in the Pre, but I do have some clarification on why to not use one.

- The battery does not have the chip in it that shuts the phone down when too hot. There is a heat sensor in the battery, and that data is stored in the phone.
    And you know this...how?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have used My Centro phone battery for my Palm. It works fine. Not much of a difference in battery's. The little teeth are slightly different, but not by much. It fits. I have not had any problems and I have used each battery back and forth as back ups and replacements when I run out while on the go. No problems yet, and I've had my Pre since July 1st. I'm a little disappointed with the Pre, but that's a whole another post, which I will start doing, now that I'm a "posting" member.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    And you know this...how?
    This is knowledge gleaned from the Battery Test app, and then bouncing my questions off a palm rep.
    I've used only Centro batteries since a few days after launch day and have had no problems. The original Palm Pre battery is sitting in my bag at 80% charge as a backup.
    This is knowledge gleaned from the Battery Test app, and then bouncing my questions off a palm rep.
    A Palm rep would not give an unbiased answer. They want to sell batteries. I'd like to see a neutral party do some reverse engineering on each to see if there is any difference.
    I've been using it from day 1 as a spare and have had no problems.

- The battery may work fine, but I do not feel it is worth the risks, but more power to those who have it working just fine.
    Why ? He was asking for info from people that have used a centro battery. I have used from day one no prob !!
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I bought an extended battery for CENTRO from Ebay.
    The guy sent a back cover too. The thing is great. Just great.
    It last 10 -12 hours with 3 emails on. No GPS or background process. and hour of talk time. 20 min of web browsing.

The price is 24 dollars which is a steal compared to that AMZER and SEIDIO.

For 24 bucks , I took risk and it paid off.

IMHO , centro batteries just work fine for Pre

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1895515
    If the pre battery has that chip saying it shuts off when too hot, has anyone reported that happening? how hot is too hot?

i guess now we could use the battery monitor app to test these things with both/all batteries.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    If the pre battery has that chip saying it shuts off when too hot, has anyone reported that happening? how hot is too hot?

i guess now we could use the battery monitor app to test these things with both/all batteries.

i know for a fact that palm pre battery does not shut off the phone when it gets to hot,,, and i will tell you how i know,,,,the fastest way to get your phone hot is to charge it, and use a wired headphone, and talk and talk and do some more talking 30min pass try to touch it, i wouldnt recommend it,,,lol,,,oh yeah unplug it and still talk,,,,still nothing ,,,,,,centreo battery works just fine,,,,i have no problem
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLARTACO3 View Post
    Why ? He was asking for info from people that have used a centro battery. I have used from day one no prob !!
    He tells you why in the very post you quoted.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    i used my two centro battery frequently in earlier two month.

1. mostly its fine.
    2. thee are things that only happens when on centro battery, there was three auto reboots, several times screen lost sense when tapping.

i think 95% of the time, centro batt is fine. But there is probably indeed some difference between the pre and centro batts, Im not sure what they are tho.

i still carry one in my pocket everyday just in case, but no using it frequently now, because i got a retractable usb charger/syncing cable and a wall plug.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'be been using my centro batteries as backups for a couple weeks now. Although there have been no major problems, I have noticed that since I've started using the centro batteries, my phone occasionally turns off when fliped closed (only when using the original pre battery). Maybe its just a defective pre (this is my second).

All in all, I would say though, that it is okay to use the battery, they are both rated at the same amperage and capacity.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    A Palm rep would not give an unbiased answer. They want to sell batteries. I'd like to see a neutral party do some reverse engineering on each to see if there is any difference.

Ummm I'm lost...how is that answer an "unbiassed" answer??

It would seem very biassed to me.

And a rep telling you that it has a sensor would not make ME buy or not buy a battery. Actually it would push me to buy the PRE battery instead of another battery.

So i find your logic a bit ascew.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    Ummm I'm lost...how is that answer an "unbiassed" answer??

It would seem very biassed to me.

And a rep telling you that it has a sensor would not make ME buy or not buy a battery. Actually it would push me to buy the PRE battery instead of another battery.

So i find your logic a bit ascew.
    I think my post was pretty clear. Read it again. I'm not sure what part confused you.

When I said "A Palm rep would not give an unbiased answer" - that is basically the same thing as saying "A Palm rep would give a biased answer."

If you are still confused, sorry, I can't help you.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I think my post was pretty clear. Read it again. I'm not sure what part confused you.

When I said "A Palm rep would not give an unbiased answer" - that is basically the same thing as saying "A Palm rep would give a biased answer."

If you are still confused, sorry, I can't help you.
    Uh ok i got ya now..just mis-read it abit.

But then again.....if a Palm Rep gave this answer, it was an honest answer I would say (or would hope).

And it is not uncommon for todays batteries to have such a sensor. I have many items with them in them.

So it is very possible that is the case. But if the sensor is in the battery, and the phone itself heats up, it is not neccissarily the case that the battery sensor would be triggered.

I would have to lean more towards a sensor in the phone itself being in place, but who knows....i dont have access to a schematic or full tech details on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    But then again.....if a Palm Rep gave this answer, it was an honest answer I would say (or would hope).
    I guess old age has made me a bit cynical...especially when it comes to sales people. Some of them will lie to your face to make a sale.

First the rumor was that you must use official Pre batteries, otherwise they won't put the phone in sleep mode....whatever that is supposed to mean. The Pre sitting on a touchstone certainly doesn't appear to be asleep to me...the whole LCD screen is lit...all night long! Sure, it's a dark screen but the light still comes through.

Then the next rumor was that you must use official Pre batteries in order to prevent the phone from overheating. That doesn't seem to fly either, I've seen many posts where people say their Pre gets so hot they can fry an egg on it. Let me guess...they must be using Centro batteries!

Personally, I think Palm knows that a lot of people will upgrade from a Centro or Treo 800w to the Pre. They don't want them using the old batteries, they want to sell new ones, so some salesmen comes up with some gibberish in order to sell more batteries.

I have Centro batteries and Treo 800w batteries. I've tried them to see if they work and if I ever need a backup I'll use them. Currently, my Pre battery lasts all day long, I don't talk to people that much, I mainly use it for checking email, surfing, etc and it rarely goes below 50% before I put in on the Touchstone for the night.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast