Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I like my pre a lot, (only had to take it in for repair once and they gave me a brand new pre). However, for the past two weeks, i've had this really weird problem with the physical keyboard. Every so often, the "z", "c", "b", "m" and "enter/return" keys on my keyboard stop functioning.I press them and nothing happens, I wait maybe 30 seconds and they start functioning again. It's weird because it's only the bottom row of keys and they are spaced out by letter in between. This gets really annoying when i'm trying to surf the web and need to type in ".com" because all i get is ".o"

My question to you guys is, have you guys ever experience this keyboard issue and know of any solutions? My next step is to go to the nearest sprint store.

P.S. I'm new to the forums, so go easy on me if this is a repeat.
    Ya I am having the same issues, I am taking the phone back tonight because of this issue.

My current Pre is a refurb, so I am not for sure if this is the case with all Pre's or just refurbs.

But take it to ur sprint store and just show them what is going on, they should give you another one no questions asked, even if ur outside the 30 days! Good luck
    Wow, that's exactly the issue I'm having. What was the outcome of yours?

PS - mine is also a refurb. I am asking for a new phone if they have to give me one.
    Do you ppl use the keyboard in the rain alot?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Do you ppl use the keyboard in the rain alot?
    Nope, my phone hasn't been wet. Why, do you think the contacts might be damaged?
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
    Nope, my phone hasn't been wet. Why, do you think the contacts might be damaged?
    It's a possibility, water's never good for these things.... But that's all I could think of now.
    You said it was a re-furb. Who knows what the person b4 you did with it, you know what I mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It's a possibility, water's never good for these things.... But that's all I could think of now.
    You said it was a re-furb. Who knows what the person b4 you did with it, you know what I mean?
    Exactly my thought. I never had this issue with my first Pre, this one seems to be getting worse. At first I thought it was my tweaks that were installed, but that doesn't have any effect on the keyboard.

I will most likely take the phone in this week and have them look at it. I will also ask for a new phone as I mentioned before so that the issue doesn't replicate itself and hopefully don't have to deal with it anymore.

I do find it interesting that the same exact keys on several phones have went out.
    Yeah, that IS really strange. Good luck though.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Just pull the battery out and let it sit for a minute. Then, put the battery back in. The keyboard should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Just pull the battery out and let it sit for a minute. Then, put the battery back in. The keyboard should work.
    Tried that, it doesn't do it right away, but it happens eventually.
    I'm still having issues, and found that tapping on the battery door will get it to come back. I'm fairly certain it's a hardware issue. I plan on taking it in soon to have them look at it.

Anyone else have any results with taking the phone in?
    this afternoon i noticed my 'a' key wouldn't work. i tried again ~15 mins later and it worked. then i tested it out again before updating to webOS 1.3.1 and found out a, d, g, j, and l don't work! i tried updating but i still get the same thing. my keyboard is virtually useless now. i've trying resetting with the power button, through reset options, and pulling the battery, and still have the same result.

this is very disheartening, since i've never dropped my phone or gotten it wet, and it's only about a month old. i also do find it strange that it is every other key in the middle row that's not working, and the op had every other key in the last row not working.
    Took my phone in today, of course the goons at the Sprint store couldn't duplicate the issue. I mentioned that it comes and goes, and that still didn't seem to make a difference. I don't plan on running up there every time the keys don't work to get this resolved.

To anyone who has this issue, is your phone
    -refurbished?
    -in developer mode/tweaked?

I'm trying to find some correlation between things.
    I decided to call Sprint and inquire about the phone, they had no problems doing a warranty claim, and sending me a new one quickly. Seems that's the way to go to get it resolved.
    I have a refurb and it is showing the same issues. Here's what I know for sure:

1) So far, I have only heard of it on refurbs
    2) it is not ALWAYS the same keys (mine is z,c,b,m)
    3) It is intermittant.
    4) Sometimes holding the key down will result in it "fixing" itself
    5) It seems that, for everyone, it is every other key on a particular line. i.e. z,c,b,m OR w,r,y,i
    6) It happens whether there are patches or not. There may be an app doing it, but patchless phones are showing the same behavior...

gonna take my phone in but man I would love to figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
    Took my phone in today, of course the goons at the Sprint store couldn't duplicate the issue. I mentioned that it comes and goes, and that still didn't seem to make a difference. I don't plan on running up there every time the keys don't work to get this resolved.

To anyone who has this issue, is your phone
    -refurbished?
    -in developer mode/tweaked?

I'm trying to find some correlation between things.
    Try removing your battery, slide the phone open, hold between your thumb and forefinger and pinch (very hard) where the 'P' key is located on the keyboard. There is a cable and plug there that can sometimes come loose from the motherboard.
    Reinsert the battery and power back up..

I've seen this trick work on several occasions. Good luck!

@ Nightmare. Pshaw. Goons.
    Totally worked! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kytton View Post
    Try removing your battery, slide the phone open, hold between your thumb and forefinger and pinch (very hard) where the 'P' key is located on the keyboard. There is a cable and plug there that can sometimes come loose from the motherboard.
    Reinsert the battery and power back up..

I've seen this trick work on several occasions. Good luck!

@ Nightmare. Pshaw. Goons.
    Quote Originally Posted by sottey123 View Post
    Totally worked! Thank you!
    You're welcome! I'll try to pass on our repair tips.
    same issue nothing works even the pressing hard on the p key..... this is my second pre after the first one failed. are they just lemons?
    have you tried going into the device info and swiping down on the upper left and doing the interactive tests with the keyboard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast