Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You need to hold it there for 25 minutes before it works.
    You're killin' me man. Everyone in my office want's to know what's so funny, and I'm supposed to be working...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    TOUCHSCREENS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!
    Oh god I read it in his voice too, well done.
    what is your phone NASA?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah. All we'd have to do is use the current (homebrew) flashlight app, hold it up to our eye, press the button, then get an app that would read the result.

I'm going to try that now...

------
    ok, i trid that, but nw i cant see my pre,or my keboard...

dang.
    I got to hand it to you. You found a bug that I don't think anyone would have ever found. The guy who made the Flashlight app needs to get that fixed.

Warning: Flashlight App may cause blindness, impotance, heart palpatations, headaches, nose bleeds, and sudden death.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Really? How often would it fail?

I know that the screen isn't a scanner, but all you would need is a program that analyzes the thumb print like what forensic labs use. Correct me not.
    "Can you zoom in right here? Look, it looks like something is sticking out of his pocket. Maybe a drivers license. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance one more time. Ok, I think we have his ID number. Slam dunk case."

I love CSI.
  6. lvd
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    TOUCHSCREENS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!
    lulz
    Well it wouldn't work to read your thumbprint, that would require the screen to be an imaging device, as well as an input device, as well as a display device which would just be too much.

However, I think if the new SDK includes a way to measure and store the electronic impulse and maybe a heatmap, you could read an individuals electronic interference with the phone and have a decent measure of security there.

However, what I feel would be better is if an image was simply displayed on lock, and you had to touch the image in a set combination of places to unlock it.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Forget fingers and eyes. I want my screen to be able to take a genetic sampling from blood. You know, cut your finger a little (it censored p r i c k....) your finger and rub some blood on the screen. How soon until we see this app????
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakej View Post
    Forget fingers and eyes. I want my screen to be able to take a genetic sampling from blood. You know, cut your finger a little (it censored p r i c k....) your finger and rub some blood on the screen. How soon until we see this app????
    If you wanted a device that drains your life a little every time your use it, you should've gone with apple.
  10.    #30  
    whoops, I'm a jag off. I thought that the capacitive touch screen could record some sort of fingerprint. I'm not sure on the technology for this function. Does anyone know how capacitive touchscreens work in regard to it's restrictions. I don't know anything.
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 09/16/2009 at 06:38 PM.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    whoops, I'm a jag off. Sorry for being idiotic and thinking that the screen could do that! Please delete this thread and remove my account. I should be banned forever for starting this. I am sofa king we Todd did.
    u hit the nail on the head that time
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I got to hand it to you. You found a bug that I don't think anyone would have ever found. The guy who made the Flashlight app needs to get that fixed.

Warning: Flashlight App may cause blindness, impotance, heart palpatations, headaches, nose bleeds, and sudden death.
    And iPhone-envy
    whoops, I'm a jag off. I thought that the capacitive touch screen could record some sort of fingerprint. I'm not sure on the technology for this function. Does anyone know how capacitive touchscreens work in regard to it's restrictions. I don't know anything.
    I know vaguely how they work. They measure the capacitance (the ability to store electrical charge) at lots of points on the screen. Then, with relatively sophisticated algorithms, they can determine where a finger is placed, even multiple fingers (since the effect on capacitance of your finger is limited to a pretty small region). You see, your finger has the ability to conduct a little bit of electricity, and that appears to the screen like an area of greater capacitance (I think).

It can calculate the position of the center of your finger quite accurately, but it has no clue about the way your finger feels. Imagine a large rubber sheet--you could easily see where someone was poking a finger or even two, but you'd have no clue about the fingerprints. It's kind of like that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Restriction:

It can only tell you where your finger is on the screen...

(jbg, might want to explain how the screen works in....a less technical way? :P)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post

However, what I feel would be better is if an image was simply displayed on lock, and you had to touch the image in a set combination of places to unlock it.

Sounds to me like you pretty much described putting a pin in on a number pad, kind of like we already have. The number pad is an image that is displayed and you have to touch the image (numbers) in a set combination of places to unlock it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    If you wanted a device that drains your life a little every time your use it, you should've gone with apple.
    LMFAO, another smart-assed comment to catalog away in the back of my brain.

It would seem to me that a few 'rotating' images (that switch each time you take the phone off sleep mode) that are a 'clue' to the user as to a gesture that can unlock the screen would be pretty useful..

Or hell, get one of those little key FOBs with the ever-changing #s on it and get with secure trace to get an algorithm going that would lock the phone works for most defense contractors - just imagine that scene: explaining to the officer that you werent texting while driving, simply trying to unlock your phone to see the time, but you need to read your keychain first to get the unlock code.. yeeeaaaaaah.. perhaps another way then.
    The heat sensing abilities of the capacitive (not resistive) touch screen make for one heck of a rectal thermometer.... no good for reading a thumbprint though.
  18.    #38  
    What do you use for security on your Pre? I just can't type a code in everytime I unlock my screen. Wish there was a better way.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I guess I was fooled by a buddy with an iphone. this capability would not be possible on that as well correct?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I guess I was fooled by a buddy with an iphone. this capability would not be possible on that as well correct?
    That is correct.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast